Author Topic: 7mth old waking every 2-3hrs for bottle and breast - crutch or really hungry?  (Read 1306 times)

Offline maraya

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
My 7mth old is both Breastfed and Bottle Fed. He gets breast throughout the day and has breast and bottles at night. My milk supply has been quite low and I was told to introduce formula at night to help him sleep. Ha! Fat lot of good it did!

6am - Breast both sides (sometimes 5am - not a happy mumma at that time of the morning)
7am - solids
8.30am - nap 1.5hrs
10.15 - breast both sides
11.30 - lunch solids
1pm - nap 1.5hrs
2.30 - breast  both sides
4pm - dinner solids
5.30pm breast both sides + full bottle (120ml)
6pm asleep

Wakes at 9ish, 1ish and between 4-5am for more feeds and has 120ml at each feed.

Because my supply is low I'm not sure if I can cut out a night feed, and I dont want to introduce the bottle during the day in case he starts to refuse the breast. Caught in between a rock and a hard place?

He goes to sleep on his own happily, but I'm not sure if I have set up a crutch with the bottle, or if he really needs the milk.

Any advice would be most welcome?

Maraya

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
I'd imagine that if he is taking 120ml (about 4oz?) then he may well need it. Would he take more at that dinner feed if you offered it?

If he is not refusing the breast during the day and is happily mixed feeding, then unless you want to boost your supply you could probably introduce another bottle without incident. It sounds like you have strong feelings about continuing to breastfeed, if I have that right?
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline maraya

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Not sure, possibly.. I will try tonight to see how he goes. I definitely want to keep breastfeeding till he's at least 12 months.. I might get his older brother to give him a bottle in the day so he doesnt associate it with me?

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
You could certainly try that! Who gives him a bottle at night?

Have you tried to boost your supply? The lovely ladies on here can help you with that, if you would like.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015