Author Topic: How to get my 3 mth old BF on demand baby on to EASY ?  (Read 1351 times)

Offline Jvs

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How to get my 3 mth old BF on demand baby on to EASY ?
« on: March 04, 2014, 02:47:20 am »
How do i get my 3 mth old BF on demand baby on to EASY ?  This on demand business is draining me and she's not satisfied and sometimes all over the map.
This is what out day could look like
Feeding 630 up, play , feeding 1st nap 730-830,  play feeding 9 am
2nd nap nurse  10 -1 , feeding 1pm play 3rd nap 3-530 feed 6pm a 5 oz bottle , 630-7 pm get both kids bath done.  7 PM  put other daughter to sleep,  nurse 730-8.
She gets one bottle 2-5 oz depending on what she wants ( she does not like it much).
I have been trying to get her on 21/2 -3 hr schedule by holding her off keep her busy with playtime ( she does not take a soother).  It's that now she is used to BF to get to napping or to sleep.  Not sure how to cut that out.  Getting close to pumping and giving bottle or formula.
Would rather BF any advice is appreciated.
Thank you

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: How to get my 3 mth old BF on demand baby on to EASY ?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 03:00:28 am »
Hmm feeding to sleep is most likely putting a hitch in EASY going smoothly as then she wont be hungry when she wakes up from a nap.  Does she have any night feeds?  One thing that jumps out is that her first awake time is pretty short at an hour (though if bed is at 8 pm and wake up is 6:30 that is a 13.5 hr day and BW recommends a 12 hr or as close to it as possible). The first nap is probably just an extension of her night sleep. Would she go back to bed after the 6:30 am feed or does that wake up time suit your family?
Heidi

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 10:56:26 am »
I would tackle it gradually.  Eg as she is used to nursing to sleep, start by still feeding her before nap time but rouse her gently before you put her down, or not feeding all the way to sleep, just until sleepy. Then gradually try to increase the gap between bf and sleep.

Gradually try and reduce the amount of milk she takes (duration of feed) before her nap.

Eventually, the aim being to cut out that feed altogether.

Also, when she wakes from her nap, offer her a feed then, even if she doesn't ask for it.  This will help her to start forming the E after S habit for EASY.  As you decrease the feed before her nap, she should be hungrier after her nap and so take more.  Hopefully then not asking for another feed before the next nap.

HTH
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Jvs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 13:00:15 pm »
Yes she can go back to sleep after that morning feeding.  She's up several times a night that is why I want to put her on Easy so that she up only every 21/2-3 hrs istead of her curent 11/2-3 hrs
She's would eat after waking.  I will try to decrease nursing to sleep.  What about the last feed before bedtime can I keep ?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 13:35:07 pm »
I always had the last feed right before bed with all three kids.
Heidi

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 14:25:26 pm »
Yes, I did with L and do that with H, although I don't feed right to sleep. It's up to you really, although in the long term it's prob best not to feed right to sleep at BT.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 15:05:42 pm »
Also have a look at this FAQ on starting EASY Starting EASY - all you need to know and more!
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Jvs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 21:47:28 pm »

I had done on demand as my LO spits up a lot and projectile vomits so it was smaller feelings.  Think that has improved .  I will try your advise and read links. Thanks ladies!