Author Topic: Weaning the reflux baby. Do's and donts  (Read 1864 times)

Offline 4 under 5

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 05, 2014, 18:14:55 pm »
Hi ladies.
Havent started weaning my 4mth old but just wondering is it a bit different weaning a baby with reflux.?

What foods make them uncomfortable? What Made reflux worse and what did you find best to start with?

Many thanks in advance xx

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: Weaning the reflux baby. Do's and donts
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 00:40:12 am »
My two were very different. :-\

Typically reflux baby safe foods are things like fruit and veg. (Pear, apple, pumpkin, sweet potato, avocado, carrot) but  they all respond differently. Some are fine on banana, others not so much. Avoid citrus for now, acidic food can aggravate reflux. Lots of reflux babies respond well to meat, though beef is harder to digest than chicken/lamb.

I'd steer clear on things that are harder to digest such as cereals. When you do start them try mixing with a tolerated vege or fruit and a little Breastmilk/formula.

I found with both boys the solids needed to be thicker consistency, if too runny it came back up.

HTH! :-*
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline 4 under 5

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 08:58:32 am »
Thanks for your reply. When you mean cereals what do you mean? Like baby rice etc?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 19:04:18 pm »
Mine seemed fine with most foods I offered although did discover ripe pear made him bad (odd because usually pear is a good one to try) but steamed or oven baked pear wedges were fine.  We had to avoid yoghurt, citrus (as Sara mentioned) and exciting cups.  The exciting cups thing was any time he had a cup that wasn't his 'boring' sippy cup he would guzzle lots of water and a few mins later the lot came back up, even at 1 and 2yo!  He seems fine guzzling at 3yo though.
I chose BLW so didn't offer any puree food at all and it went really well. So, almost everything was finger foods and anything naturally mushy like humus was offered in a dollop to pick up with fingers or on a pre loaded spoon for him to self feed. I felt that more watery foods or puree would have made his reflux worse.

Offline 4 under 5

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 09:52:04 am »
Thanks creations. Good to know that. Xx