Author Topic: Anyone want to talk about the 2-1 transition #26  (Read 44230 times)

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: Anyone want to talk about the 2-1 transition #26
« Reply #420 on: July 09, 2014, 17:55:43 pm »
Green007- how's it going with you hun? X

Offline MarciaMSPT

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
    • DIY Home Health Physical Therapy
« Reply #421 on: July 10, 2014, 17:12:54 pm »
Wow... nice to read progress here!  Obviously our little ones are still growing and I think since ours all seem to be about the same age, we are all dealing with wonder weeks (months!) teething, growth spurts etc...  but was refreshing to see progress.

My little guy has just pulled out of a horribly clingy, crabby last 3 weeks... he's been happy yesterday and today... learned to crawl last week and wants, wants, wants to walk... and just may in the next couple weeks!  He's well on his way!  No NW as of the last 2-3 weeks... oddly enough... and the little blurts I do hear in the night are likely only in his sleep as that is all I hear... if I even hear it!

Found my LO asleep on his belly with his little bum up in the air yesterday morning... NEVER had that and it was amazing... he was sleeping so deeply!

I might have to owe it to grandma for being here for the last 3 days to our LO's happiness but don't care how it got here, he seems to be pulling out of some things.

Oddly enough... only had two 30 min naps in the car yesterday, went down about 8:15 last night (15ish min late) and I got him up about 7:10... his first nap was not till 12:40ish... usually right around 12:10ish... sooooo... will have to see if this nap will need to be capped for an 8pm bedtime... if it's not one thing, it's another right lady's!!!!????

Well, wanted to post progress as I know how encouraging it is to read progress and realize that the boat we are all in is NOT sinking!  :)

Our LO is 12.5 months.  Wakes about 7pm.  First A time is about 5 hours (now pushing 5.5)  Second A time is about 6 hours on a good nap.  BT is 8pm... if that is helpful for anyone.  So far only one snack about 11:30 but if he continues to go down about 12:30ish, I'll just start feeding a full lunch at 12 and then a snack after nap if he needs it.

Hugs to all the exhausted mommies out there... this is our highest calling and I'm so blessed to virtually stick together!  Thank you!
With God all things are possible!

Offline 3littlemen

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #422 on: July 11, 2014, 09:27:04 am »
Way to go!!! So there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Offline MarciaMSPT

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #423 on: July 15, 2014, 10:33:22 am »
Is everyone ok or did this thread move?

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #424 on: July 15, 2014, 12:47:18 pm »
All ok here hun, just not much to report!! How's it going with you?

We're still having the playing around at BT which is annoying as I don't know whether she's UT or OT still  ::). Otherwise I think we're safely though the transition. (Hope I haven't jinxed that now!).

Molars are on the way here as well, so we've had a few cranky days. She's walking much more which is just so lovely, but where did my little baby go?!

It's boiling hot here today so I'm sat outside enjoying the fact she is on one nice long nap!

Offline gb18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #425 on: July 15, 2014, 13:37:08 pm »
Hi all! We have had a bit of a nightmare here. A week and a bit ago lo got a nasty virus. Temp for 4 days, sleeping loads in the day etc so all out of routine!

We r back on 2 naps often when not in nursery but even on our 1 nap days I can't seem to get a long nap of more than 1.5 hours. When we first started going through the transition this was no problem. He always wakes crying so wondering if it's OT. I will admit A times are variable but roughly 5 to 5.5 hrs on 1 nap days. If he wakes early I do 40 min am or 30 mins and then longer pm.
Weirdly yesterday he did 40 min am then 3.25 A time and I had to wake him after 2 hrs. This then meant late 8pm bt and wu today at 6.30am.

Worried I am no routine again. Mostly nursery still just do 1 nap. This varies from 1 hr to 1.5 normally which if I have decent wu is ok, otherwise OT at bed even if ebt.

Any ideas?

Offline BusterB

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #426 on: July 15, 2014, 13:39:06 pm »
Hi all *waves*

We're in a right muddle at the moment, but as we are back to short naps I don't get as much time to use the internet as before! Haha!  :)

Last 3 nights have been hard work at bedtime... He seems to go from happily playing to what seems like a hyper nightmare in literally seconds. I have tried winding down & feeding earlier & earlier but milk just seems to give him even more of a second wind.

I have gradually been extending one of the naps too to try and keep OT at bay... But that hasn't helped either so then I get the UT/OT conundrum!!

Last night he only did 9 hours total, so I'm fairly sure it 'a OT.

We also have tooth no 2 just about to pop out & he started walking today...   So just muddling through

Hope everyone else is coping ok!

Offline BusterB

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #427 on: July 15, 2014, 13:46:01 pm »
gb18, that 1 short nap was OT here... which is why we went back to 2 naps, as although he's not getting much more total day sleep, getting it in 2 chunks gets him through the day with less OT overall (bedtime now takes 1.5hrs instead of 4!)

Offline lauradj

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #428 on: July 15, 2014, 18:28:28 pm »
Hello ladies!

I'm about to begin the 2-1 transition here (DS is 11.5 months) but I'd love some clarification on what Tracy suggests.  I'm going to use the gentle transition system with DS so I put him down almost 30 minutes later this morning and I'm planning on letting him only nap for an hour.  I'm assuming I then put him down this afternoon at his usual time? 
Where I get confused is around the Day 4-7 when you're supposed to push the nap back another 15-30 minutes.  Do I let him nap until he wakes and then skip the afternoon nap?  Give him a catnap?  Keep the afternoon nap at the same time until his one hour morning nap happens closer to noon?  So confusing!!   ::)

Offline 3littlemen

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #429 on: July 15, 2014, 23:09:56 pm »
I'd like to have some clarification too... so don't know if I should post here or on naps board....I went looking in the Book for some help, and just got confused!

on page 284 of BWSAYP she talks about moving to one nap... ol' mate is sleeping til 7am I'm assuming, and usually had a nap at 9.30, Mum had to stretch him out to 10am etc - but Bub was 17mo! The 2-1 box says that the child is at least a year old before the transition. Also on page 251 she says that babies 6-8mo nap around 9, and 9-12mo as late as 9.30am... page 39 says he can be on the go for 2.5-3hrs and around 18mo goes to one nap.....

Now I'm just throwing this out here... am I keeping him up for too long??? anyone got thoughts on this?

Offline MarciaMSPT

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #430 on: July 16, 2014, 00:59:32 am »
About the 2-1 transition - if it helps...  (BTW - WU normally at 7am)

I knew that I could not let my LO sleep past 4 or 4:30 (can't remember now!) to preserve an 8pm bedtime... so...  There was a period of time when his morning nap shifted to noonish and lengthened to sometimes 2.5 hours.  On THOSE days, I did not give a second nap and our LO will NOT do EBT :(

However, recently his noonish nap only lasts 1.5 hours and I have figured out that if he wakes 1:30 or later he tolerates an A time till BT at 8pm...although cranky at times... we just pushed on through it!  If he wakes before 1:30, then around 4:30ish I put him in the car and take him for a slow ride on our gravel road and allow only a 10 min nap and that has worked well.  Haven't had to do that lately.

On errands day, I leave at 10 and he sleeps for about 40 minutes in the car and then I know I need to leave to come home (an hour drive BTW) at 2ish to get him to sleep another 30 or 45 min that will take him through the rest of the day. 

It's never perfect (well, maybe one day it was! :)  but it's just what I've found.  So... for now I"m not pushing his morning A time any and letting him do that when he's ready...  that is how I went through the transition.  I feel like we are on the other side of it but I'm not opposed to a 10 min power nap spin if need be.

Hope that helps...  seems I got confused with Tracy's 2-1 stuff too... but found some links that moderators here sent me very useful...

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #431 on: July 16, 2014, 05:57:44 am »
Hi lauradj. I found this link really helpful and also the one linked within it about the how, when, bumps etc 10/11 month old sleep gone wonky? Read this first!

I'd have to dig out the book to check what Tracy says, but from what you've posted, does that mean your LO normally takes a longer morning nap and you're chopping it back to an hour? Would you like to post your easy so we could take a look and try to help?

The idea is to push the morning nap back later and later over time and also cap the afternoon nap to preserve BT. For example when we started we were doing 4hr A first thing, 3.5hrs to CN. CN for 30 mins then 2.75hrs to BT. Eventually that went to 4.25hrs A then 3.5hrs to CN. CN for 15mins 2.75hrs to BT etc etc. then we got CN refusal and did EBT. Or she took a CN and BT got later and later and the day went to over 14hrs which I knew wasn't good for her.

You have to go with the flow and do a lot of tweaking as Marcia says to find their ideal times. I know here that any more than 4.5hrs A to bed O gets an OT NW soon after BT. But she can happily do 6.5hrs in the am!

I'll be back..have to go and give O breakfast x

Offline 3littlemen

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #432 on: July 16, 2014, 06:33:48 am »
Tbh I'm not sure we're near the 2-1, it just looks like it. I've been keeping the a times (or naps) pretty consistent at 9/9.30 and 1.30/2 and most days the pm nap is 2hr, with the rare wake at 30, resettle and sleep for 1h30 total. The morning nap is NEVER more than 30m, sometimes 20-25m. We're getting lots of NWs or Long NWs, or EWS for good measure. So I was just wondering why I never get a decent sleep first up on a 3h30, when after a 3hr second a time I usually get a good nap (could just be an OT pass out sleep though).

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #433 on: July 16, 2014, 06:41:47 am »
Hey, gb18... As Busterb said for her LO, it could be OT. However, if it's following a good night could it be UT? I only ask as I had this  problem with O and felt for sure it was OT. Then I bit the bullet and extended the A again and she went back to 2hr naps! Hard one really... Hope he's feeling better now. I suppose it's just a case if starting all over again isn't it  :(

Hi 3littlemen, again I'd have to dig out the book to see.. I just use these forums now tbh. What I've found on here is that lo's are transitioning generally a lot earlier to one nap than Tracy said. Perhaps it's evolution lol?! Do you want to post your easy too and we'll take a look? I'd doubt you're keeping him up for too long... O was doing 3hrs in the am when she was 7mo I think?! Sorry, just seen your post..sounds like he's happy with his A times if he sleeps well for the second nap.. I might keep as is??

We had a really funny day yesterday and don't know what's going on. I definitely jinxed myself as O had a 1hr 45mins nap yesterday. Not too bad considering I did put her down a bit earlier. Tried for an earlier BT as I thought OT was creeping in. She slept 20mins at 6.30pm, woke, had to resettle (classic OT for her), then slept 20mins again and was awake for 1hr 20mins chatting away to herself?! Never, ever had that before. It was hot in her room (26 degrees), could that be it? 20 mins is discomfort usually isn't it. She didn't fall asleep until 9 but I have no clue when she woke this morning as she's quiet. Did hear a mumble at 6, went to her at 6.45 and she was dozing but waved to tell me she was awake!! Guess we'll see how today goes... Might medicate before the nap as the molars are bulging.

Offline babybarr

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #434 on: July 16, 2014, 16:15:15 pm »
Well my boys have been on one nap for about 3weeks now - some 2 nap days and some catnap days thrown in but today they faffed at naptime and only slept an hour.  They have been doing 1.5 (which is fab for them!) and occasionally longer.  Should I increase the A time?  Their night last night was about 12hrs with one nw but not for long...
LAURA xx