Author Topic: Almost 7m, NW all over the place!  (Read 1320 times)

Offline bensmom114

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Almost 7m, NW all over the place!
« on: March 03, 2014, 21:39:15 pm »
I can barely keep my eyes open as I write this, any help would be greatly appreciated!  DD is almost 7 mos old and she is all over the place with her NW.  Some nights she wakes up just once around 12:30 am, some nights she's up at 10, 2, 3, 5 and up at 7; some nights just 12:30, 2 and up at 7.  Most of the time when she wakes up I feed her, some times she goes back to sleep on her own, some times I'm able to just shush her to sleep.  She falls asleep on her own about half the time for naps and almost always at bed time.  If she needs help I usually just give her a little shush while she's in her crib.  Here is her easy, it's pretty textbook and consistent:

7: wake up and BF
9: 1st nap
11: wake up and BF
12: little bit of solids
1: 2nd nap
3: wake up and BF
5: 30 min cat nap
6:45: BF and in bed by 7

no DF, they always wake her up

some days are a little wonky and her second nap ends up later and we skip the cat nap

any thoughts?

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: Almost 7m, NW all over the place!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 22:58:25 pm »
I think you could probably ditch the catnap and aim for 2 naps instead  :). She's taking great naps but probably won't be able to do 12hr night with all that daytime sleep ;). Also I found that we had erratic night wakings when dd3 would take her 3rd nap, which was also another clue for us that we had to get rid of it.

When on 2 naps, you would stretch her A to 3hrs so your day will look something like this:

7am - wake
10-11.30 - morning nap
2.30-4 - afternoon nap
7ish - bedtime

Have a look at this link and let me know if you have any other questions :)
All about the 3-2 transition- 5/6 months
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 23:05:30 pm by Layla »

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline bensmom114

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 16:03:04 pm »
thank you for you reply!  yes, we are heading towards just two naps, although she doesn't seem to sleep much better on days that she misses that third nap.

Offline Layla

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 02:40:03 am »
When she misses the 3rd nap, do you put her to bed a little earlier? She may be a little overtired by bedtime, if she's awake for too long before bed.

How long has she had these night wakings for? Could she be teething? or is she working on anything new, like crawling?

Offline bensmom114

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 14:47:10 pm »
I don't put her to bed earlier and she is definitely cranky by bed time, so she could be a bit OT.  She's been waking up like this for the past 3 months :(

Offline Layla

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 22:27:41 pm »
She probably is a bit overtired by bedtime

In general, when we were going through the 3-2 transition, on days dd wouldn't take her catnap, bedtime was as early as 5pm (she was a 6am riser) and she would 99% of the time sleep until her usual wake up time. So, in your case, I would do an earlier bedtime to let her catch up on some lost sleep (cumulative sleep debt) and see if that helps with the night wakings.

How are you going with stretching her A's? Don't rush to do it all at once (adding an hour at a time will not help) and try and do it slowly (15mins extra every 3 days or so)...

How did she sleep last night?

Offline bensmom114

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 21:52:22 pm »
She has been sleeping a little better these past 2 nights.  Just waking at around 12:45 am and 2:45 am, then up for the day at 6 am.  I've cut out the cat nap (still haven't managed to get her to bed early, I've 2 little ones to juggle) but I've also been adding 2 extra oz of EBM to a few of her feedings.  Not sure which is helping but I'm just glad for a little more sleep :)  I've been stretching her A's slowly, just 15 to 30 mins every couple of days. 

Offline Layla

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 10:41:35 am »
How are you going? Great update!  I understand it's hard to do earlier bedtime with other little ones around... but even if you can try for an earlier bedtime on weekends just to keep on top of her getting overtired, I am sure that would help :)