Author Topic: Mixed feeding questions...  (Read 1202 times)

Offline bongabees

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • *Also known as Anna*
Mixed feeding questions...
« on: March 14, 2014, 11:23:21 am »
Hi,
DD is 5 weeks old and I have been supplementing with formula due to lack of weight gain. At the moment, I top her up after every BF and we are in a three hour EASY. She takes about 2oz after each BF session. She is feeding only for ten mins max at each BF and I think my milk is slowly drying up. I did the same with DS and I remember that at one point I switched to alternating BF and FF feeds, instead of topping up and doing both at each feed. I have forgotten how I did it and for how long, so I have some questions..l
1. Is this a good idea to alternate or will it speed up the process of my milk drying up?
2. What is the best way to drop a feed and is there as best one to drop?
3. Has anyone had any success with this when their milk supply is low anyway - I am worried I won't have enough at a feed to satisfy her only with the breast.

Thanks! 

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Mixed feeding questions...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 12:53:01 pm »
Have a look at our FAQs on this subject.

I'm worried I may have low milk supply
A bottle (or more!) a day…  Mixed breast and bottle feeding
Relactation: I stopped nursing, but regret my decision. Can I start again?

Yes the more formula you give the less breast milk you make. If she is lasting 3hrs between feeds after only 2oz of formula then I expect she is getting at least the same again from your breasts.

Going longer between feeds will result in reduced milk supply so I would stick with the top up now rather than alternating. Have you considered feeding more frequently to increase your supply? Maybe feeding every 2hrs and skipping some of the top ups or reducing the amount offered down to just an ounce. The WHO and LLL recommend feeding at least 8-12 times in 24hrs to establish supply in the early months.

How long have you been supplementing?

Hugs. It's hard when they aren't gaining as expected.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline bongabees

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • *Also known as Anna*
Re: Mixed feeding questions...
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 14:31:57 pm »
Thank a for your feedback, I will read and have a think about your suggestions! I will keep going with the top ups for now. I went through hell with DS1 losing a lot of weight and really trying to get my supply up  and nothing worked so I don't really have the strength to go through that again, plus I now have to balance two kids.