Author Topic: Feeding and Sleeping problems beginning...  (Read 2019 times)

Offline bexington

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Feeding and Sleeping problems beginning...
« on: March 21, 2014, 17:16:35 pm »
Hi
So my little girl has been on a great, self organised schedule from about 3-6 months. She would have three naps a day, and her day looked like this:
7am (ish, or a little later) - Wake up, formula
9am - Nap
10am - Formula
12 - Nap
2pm - Formula
4pm - Nap
5p - Formula
7/7:30 - Bedtime and final formula.
Since introducing solids we've been on a slow slide towards chaos!   :-\
I've been keeping a diary for the last few days, I've noticed the following issues:
* Waking early, at about 6/6:30 ish (this is very early for my daughter, she slept through from 6 weeks old!). We've corrected this by putting up blackout curtains in the room, this morning it seemed to help - I heard her wake briefly at 6am and then she slept until I woke her at 7:30.
* Feeding times are all over the place! I've struggled to work out where to put her three meals into the schedule. Today she had breakfast after having some of her first bottle. Forgetful mother that I am, I forgot to offer her the rest of the bottle after she had finished her solids. This meant that at 9:30 when I put her down for her morning nap she was inconsolable until I offered her the rest of her bottle. She then slept for an hour.
* When she woke up from her nap at 10:30 I offered her formula, then she had a big lunch at 12:30 and only took a little formula. She slept for about two hours. When she woke up at 2:30 I offered her formula but she wasn't interested (I realise that she'd filled up on her late lunch).
* For her final nap of the day she was put down, looking extremely tired, at 16:45 (I tried to get her to go till 5pm but she was very sleepy). She was very upset again, I offered her more formula which she took but then resisted her nap. I don't think it's that she wasn't tired as she was very sleepy, rubbing her eyes etc.
So can anyone help me work out the feeding/sleeping times for my daughter? I've been staring at schedules and stuff like that for so long I feel like I"m getting totally lost!
Thanks all

Offline <Catherine>

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 149
Re: Feeding and Sleeping problems beginning...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 17:57:19 pm »
Hi. How old is she?
Catherine x

Offline bexington

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 18:58:21 pm »
Hi - she's 7 months old

Offline <Catherine>

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 19:58:43 pm »
Ok, quick initial thoughts as I have to run....

Milk is the most important part of her diet until 12 months, so ensure she's getting that and solids as an extra. Try to give milk first and solids about an hour later. You also don't need to fit 3 solid meals in yet, but thus age definitely feels like you are feeding constantly!

I Also think her A times might be too short, have a read here:-

chronological EASY samples, 7-9 months

Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!
Catherine x

Offline bexington

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 19:01:51 pm »
Thank you!
We have a pretty easy baby, it's been a day or so but I think she's doing much better.
Took your advice and after putting in a couple of nights where she is sleeping longer, she's now able to stay up for about 2 and 1/2 or 3 hours. I've also taken to giving her milk before solids, solids 1/2 an hour or so later and this seems to work well as well.
Thanks again, fingers crossed it keeps working!

Offline <Catherine>

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 20:40:08 pm »
Fab, well done :) hope it continues!
Catherine x