Author Topic: 45 min naps - time to increase A? Or wonder week?  (Read 1028 times)

Offline JW6677

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
45 min naps - time to increase A? Or wonder week?
« on: March 21, 2014, 23:06:24 pm »
Hello
I would love some insight into my EASY and new issue of 45 min naps.  Baby is 12.5 weeks and angel/textbook.  Past few days / week, she wakes up at 40-45 min mark, when she used to usually sleep 1.5hr.  She still wakes up happy, but this throws off our EASY routine.  I have tried WTS to get her past the sleep cycle transition with no success.  I will often hold her for 2nd 45min or hold for entire nap just to ensure she gets a good nap.  She was never a great napper - we may be partly to blame because we allow her to nap on our chest.  We have finally got her bedtime routine solidified, and she used to sleep 830pm - 8 am with one 4/5am wake up, but nightwakings have increased past few days too.  I should also mention that we currently cosleep but plan to move her to her own room/crib soon.

Because of the short nap, the I shorten the next A.

How do you know if  45 min wake up is due to need to increase A (I have read this all over this site) Or maybe this is 12-week / wonder week fussiness?  I feel like I need to fix these short naps to get back on track

Here is our typical EASY

E 8am
A 8-915/930
S 915/930 - 1015-1030 (45m)
E 11am
A 1100-12 (1 hr + earlier A)
S 12- ? usually 45min
E 2pm
A 2-3 (1hr + earlier A)
S 3 -?
E 5pm
A 5-630
S - catnap 630-7 I find she is tired and does need a catnap since she's been up since 5pm
Bath 7
E 715
S 815-830

Offline Sarah - Enfys' Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 76
Re: 45 min naps - time to increase A? Or wonder week?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 07:47:07 am »
Her first a time is short, 1hr 15, but within the range of normal. You could try extending it by 10 mins for three days and see what happens. Also - is she falling asleep on you? And then you're putting her down?  If that's the case, since she's not putting herself to sleep initially, she's not able to put herself back to sleep when she goes from one sleep cycle to the next at 45 minutes. What do you think?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 09:24:33 am »
This link may help too
Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!
It's only a guide but sometimes it helps to look at the clock as well as looking for sleepy cues. Towards 4 month+ the sleepy cues can be misleading as LO become more alert and a yawn may actually be a sign of boredom rather than tiredness. In this case a change of scene or activity would help extend the A time.
At this age 10 mins increase in A time can make a big difference to sleep.

Offline JW6677

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 17:23:22 pm »
Thanks for your replies.  No, she falls sleep on her own for the most part.  It's only when she has resisted sleep for so long, or has had bad naps all day that I resort to holding her so that she gets some decent sleep before bedtime.  Most naps and all bedtimes I put her down drowsy but awake. 

Will try to increase A time by 10 min.  I find however that this small of an increment is very difficult for me... Some days it could take 10-15 more or less than usual to put her to sleep.  Which would then throw off the times .. ?

Offline Sarah - Enfys' Mum

• Showing Appreciation 76
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 19:02:49 pm »
That's good she can put herself to sleep, tbh that's a big part of it! 
I factor in about 5-10 minutes for Medi to actually fall asleep; I aim to have her in the cot with about 5 minutes to go. Some times she's asleep before I get downstairs but some times it takes her half an hour.