Author Topic: getting out and about while on a routine  (Read 2662 times)

Offline lizawaugh

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 23, 2014, 03:24:20 am »
HI

I am currently following a routine and find I am at home a lot I am looking for advice on how to get out and about while still sticking to a routine

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: getting out and about while on a routine
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 03:52:20 am »
Hi and welcome to the BW ;D

You don't have to be rigid when it comes to setting a routine and if you need to get out and about, hopefully your baby will sleep in the car/pram. It also depends on how old your baby is... when mine was really little (up to about 3-4 months old), she was a lot more flexible and we would do some naps in the pram/car and lots of naps in the sling ;D. I tried to stay home for 2 weeks when I sleep trained but once that was out of the way, I did 2 naps at home and the last nap was in the sling if I needed to get out or get other things done. Now that she's older, it's a little harder to get her to sleep in the pram but if we have to get out and she doesn't sleep, we just go with it and because it doesn't happen all the time, she recovers pretty well. We just do an earlier bedtime on those days.

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline Cs11

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 09:12:17 am »
I try and do things inbetween the first nap and second nap and after second nap so that the third nap will be in car/pram etc. If really need to be out in the day just try best to get then to sleep in car/pram and try and get atleast one good nap in cot at home!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 10:56:48 am »
When mine was under 1yr I maintained his first nap of the day at home, a great 2hr nap in his own bed.  After that it was car naps on the way somewhere or on the way home, or I'd have him in the sling (only when very young) whilst I walked etc.  It wasn't perfect, he lost sleep, but on balance I think it was worth it, he got to see and experience the world and so did I. It can feel quite claustrophobic if you stay home for every single nap.  I did find though that despite being fully independent he was so used to the habit of sleeping his second nap in the car that it was really hard to get him to take that nap at home, almost impossible.
By the time he reached 1yo+ that nap had move later, to lunch time so we were able to go out in the morning instead, and by then he also accepted being transferred from the car to his bed if necessary.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 11:00:05 am by creations »

Offline lauradj

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 17:01:29 pm »
It can make you a little crazy! ;D  I found that if I made sure everything was completely ready to go before my LO woke up, I could get out and get stuff done.  I was a bit of a slave to nap time though, still am actually but it works for DS and I.  Now that he's older, 7.5 months, we get out and do lots when he's awake; hikes, play dates etc. just in time for spring!

Offline pinkladyangel

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 17:41:03 pm »
We made a huge mistake with this. We tried to work around naps and then found that our lo would only sleep in his own bed. We couldnt go anywhere when he had to nap as he wouldnt nap in his pushchair or car. Last summer he was a complete nightmare. He was 10 months old and we went out for the day. He was fine until after lunch but when we tried to get him to naphe got hysterical. He eventually slept on the way home in the car.
I would definitely say dont just let your lo sleep in their crib. We were completely stuck. He's now 18 months and loads better.

Offline creations

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 18:52:02 pm »
We couldnt go anywhere when he had to nap as he wouldnt nap in his pushchair or car.
It was very similar here. When he was tiny he would nap in the sling but later on it was his own bed at home for morning nap and car for afternoon nap/s - wouldn't sleep in the sling or stroller at all. it does make things difficult but I think each family has to choose which habits would suit them better, but yes knowing that whatever habits you set are likely to stick.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 21:02:55 pm »
My DS2 was one who didn't sleep well when out and about despite us having an active life at playgroups and visiting family etc. from a very early age. I would often spend an hour with him in the sling just to get a 20 min very OT nap out of him way too late. He would eventually sleep in the car and buggy but it had to be well past his usual nap time and it was never for as long as I would have liked. Like pp I just tried to get one really good nap in at home before we headed out for the afternoon. That worked well as we usually had time to get up, washed, dressed and fed before he had his nap and I could do something with DS1 and then we could all head out.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Honeymonster

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 21:13:45 pm »
Sorry but just going to jump into this post to ask for those of you who said you got your LO's sleeping in car seats etc. out an about was it ever for long naps? My 6wk old will sleep for about 30mims in her buggy then even if we're moving and bumping about she just lies wide awake, I'd really love to get her going down in the car seat or buggy properly as a couple of mornings a week I have to take her to visit my horse to muck out etc. she'll sleep In the car then the min we arrive she'll wake up and that'll be her.. If I stop the buggy moving she'll scream.

Offline pinkladyangel

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 07:26:12 am »
The longest our lo has had in buggy is about half hour and car seat depends on length of journey. It takes him a good 20/30 mins for him to drop off in car.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 08:51:56 am »
Honeymonster - I was out and about to muck out also. First he'd be asleep, and then if needs be in the sling. Just make sure you get haynets done first!

As we were there every day, all his first naps of the day were in the carseat/buggy. When he got older I'd sit him in the buggy with a snack to keep him occupied. And now, at 6, he can muck out himself!
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline Honeymonster

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 10:59:13 am »
Mj&n thats a good tip!! Hay nets are the tricky part.. I'd been quite naive thinking it's be super easy bringing a baby to the yard bad that she'd just sleep the whole time! Wishful thinking. People think I'm a bore as I have the car seat attached to the buggy and a blanket over it to blank out the outside world when she's meant to be napping and they keep trying to speak to her and think I'm over the top :-)

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 11:10:29 am »
Oh dear! Yes, I don't think they designed slings with bending over in mind - makes life a little difficult at times.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 12:10:39 pm »
I have always taught DS1 to nap in his pram AND in his cot. Same now with Joey. The trick is to not shuggle the pram and stick to the same P/S and swaddle as you do in bed.

There were times when DS did all his naps in the pram, good naps 2-3 hours. No matter if it moved or not.

You need a good, large pram with a fixed basket and mattress and then they should not notice the difference. DS2 is also mostly napping in his pram now, very handy to have baby ready for shopping, school runs, a walk, etc.

Offline lizawaugh

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 23:03:02 pm »
thanks for all your advice I was going out and about and then found she would only sleep in the pram so then made an effort to stay at home so she would get used to the cot again.  I am lucky as the longest sleeps she usually has is in the pram unfortunately will not nap in car seat.  I think I will continue doing what I am doing which is a combination of naps in pram and cot so she is used to both and not be so concerned with being home and napping in cot.  As some of you have suggested I always try to have the morning nap in the cot and then head out. If heading out I try to have her awake time as getting ready and travelling to the destinations as she does not sleep in her car seat, is this how anyone else incorporates their awake time??  I know if I am out and about in the pram she will at least have one good nap.  I also think you advice on not to stress to much which is something I find myself doing all the time trying to stick to the clock!!!
 This is my first time on the website so thanks to all for you great advice and nice to know you are all out there experiencing the same things. 

Offline creations

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 16:47:51 pm »
If heading out I try to have her awake time as getting ready and travelling to the destinations as she does not sleep in her car seat, is this how anyone else incorporates their awake time?? 
That makes total sense as she doesn't sleep in the car. I always aimed getting into the car for 1 to 2 min before nap time was due and he was out like a light before we reached the end of the road but had he not slept in the car I would have planned differently as you are doing.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 20:53:27 pm »
Yes if it is working for you then do it. I think naps on the go are only a problem when the LO is dependent on that movement to sleep and cannot sleep elsewhere. If you keep up the cot naps at least one a day then that shouldn't be an issue for you guys.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011