Author Topic: 8 Months has 1-1.5 hours NW every night  (Read 1485 times)

Offline tamlev

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: March 24, 2014, 15:05:18 pm »
Hi,

When my dd was 6 months she would wake several times a night, I posted here and got some help and this improved. Now she wakes one time but takes an hour to hour and a half to get back to sleep (until morning). She wakes at a different time every night so it is not consistent. Sometimes she will seem happy and awake and other times tired and sleepy.
I read on this forum that long NW are a sign for under tiredness. I see why that is possible but I am not sure this is my case since she has 13 hour days and naps well during the day (some times a total of 4-4.5 hours).
She has been on EASY since 3.5 months and the transition went quite well.
Lately we have been lengthening the A time towards 3 hours so she takes two long naps a day and dropped the cat nap. This has been working well!
Two nights ago she sttn, this was after a very long day! She woke at 5:30 (and didn't go back to sleep) and went to sleep at 20:15. So she was very tired, so maybe the issue is UT??

Typical day:
6:30-7:00 wake, eat (nurse), play
9:00- Solids- fruit
~9:30- nap (1- 2 h)
~11:00- eat (nurse) then play/go to the park
~13:00- eat (solids- vegetables/meat)
13:45- nap (1- 2 h)
15:00/15:30- eat (nurse)
after eating- play some more
19:00- eat (nurse)
19:20- bath, story
19:45- sleep, bottle in bed (formula)

To answer the rest of your questions:

How many wakes per night? 1 long one

What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? cries until we get to her (not screaming). We give her the pacifier and do PU/PD. but this can go on for a while

When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? It is crying, not a mantra cry, we usually wait a bit before going in.

What have you tried to settle?? pacifier (if not in her mouth), PU/PD if necessary (we try not to PU at night).

What do you do for A time and how long is it? play with the toys in the living room, dance to music, read stories. I go out with her once a day either to the park or to the store when we need shopping. When she is in a good mood she can play on her own for a while, then I join her or sit beside her.

Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? no yet

Do they have a prop? If so what is it? She has a pacifier. She learned to return it herself when she wakes.

Do they have a lovie? No

Thanks!!
Tammy

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: 8 Months has 1-1.5 hours NW every night
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 22:47:11 pm »
Hi Tammy,

I think she's overtired by bedtime. When we were dropping the catnap, I bumped bedtime to an hour earlier and I would suggest you try and earlier bedtime rather than sticking to 8pm. Most find they have to make bedtime earlier to compensate for the 3rd missed nap and once you are 3hrs or so across the day, you will ideally have 11-12hrs at night with around 3hrs daytime sleep.

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline tamlev

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 08:16:20 am »
Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply.
It makes a lot of sense!!
Will try it out from tonight and see how it goes... Hope to have some good updates soon.

:D

Offline Layla

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 03:22:49 am »
How did you go Tammy with earlier bedtime?

Offline tamlev

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 08:59:55 am »
Hi,

The first two nights went ok, she sttn. Although I realize we need to work a bit on the schedule before bed time which might be a bit different now that bedtime is earlier (eating/ nursing time etc.). we weren't home for the weekend so last night was a bit messy and she woke but now we are home for the next 4 weeks not going anywhere so hope we will establish a good pattern this coming week.

Thanks!!
Will update...
Tammy

Offline tamlev

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 11:55:56 am »
Hi again...

I still need help... my dd is almost 9 months and she still has 1 night waking that lasts an hour or more. We don't go in immediately when she starts complaining. Some nights she will wake happy and talking and some crying. It seems she needs to get realy tired again in order to finally fall back asleep till morning. When we go in I offer her a drink of water (since she might be thirsty) and she takes the drink. then we do PU/PD till she goes to sleep. Some times she fights when we are holding her but then cries when we put her down.

We feel like we are helpless... We are still giving her a dream feed, although lately she eats less then the past (between 3-4 OZ.)
Her activity time is now 3 hours long and she naps well (a total of 3-4 hours a day).

I am going back to work beginning of May so I would really want to get this better...

Typical day (since I last posted here and was suggested to have an earlier bed time):

6:30-7:00 wake, eat (nurse), play
9:00- Solids- fruit (between 2-2.5 hours after previous nursing)
~9:30/10:00- nap (1- 2 h)
~11:30- eat (nurse) then play/go to the park
~13:30- eat (solids- vegetables/meat)
14:00/14:30- nap (1- 2 h)
15:00/15:30- eat (bottle)
after eating- play some more
18:30- bath, Nurse and story
~19:10- sleep
22:00/22:30- Dream feed (bottle)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Tammy

Offline Layla

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 10:46:20 am »
Hi Tammy,

Maybe the dreamfeed is interfering with her night sleep.... would you be willing to not do it a few nights and feed her when she wakes in the middle of the night and see if she goes back to sleep right away?

3 hrs daytime sleep with 11-12hrs at night is about right, some do less though. We did shorter morning nap (approx 45mins-1hr) and longer afternoon nap (approx 2hrs) with 3-3.5hrs awake time and around 11-12hrs at night at that age and although we had sleeping through the night, some nights she would wake for a feed too but I didn't do the dream feed though. Maybe you could try longer A times and limit daytime sleep to 3hrs to see if that helps... so something like this...

6.30am - wake and feed
7.30 - solids (we say offer solids around an hour after milk feed)
~9.30-10.30 - morning sleep
10.30 - wake and feed
11.30-12 - lunch
~1.30-3/3.30 - afternoon nap
6.30/7 - bedtime

What do you think?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 10:59:29 am by Layla »

Offline tamlev

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 13:45:09 pm »
Hi,

I will try without the dreamfeed a couple of nights and see what happens, but I am wondering why feed in the middle of the night when she wakes up?
I feel it's a bit risky to shorten the morning nap to up to an hour since I can't know how long she will sleep in the afternoon.
Lengthening the A time is interesting but some days she can't even hold off 3 hours and we put her down at about 2 and 50 min.

Offline Layla

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 09:30:48 am »
I believe some babies still need a night feed at this age, which is why I mentioned feeding her at night and the dream feed may be interrupting her night sleep, which is why I suggested stopping the feed. See how you go with no DF for a few nights and if not, maybe its time to limit her daytime sleep so that there is more drive for her to sleep at night.

I understand the fear in shortening daytime sleep, I guess you won't know until you try it but mine did well on 1hr morning nap with longer afternoon nap.

Let me know how you go