Author Topic: Fibrous solids  (Read 1674 times)

Offline didiosa1980

• First time mommy
  • New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Fibrous solids
« on: March 20, 2014, 14:39:29 pm »
We started out feeding LO avocado, then banana, yams were a flop, and have ended with carrots so far. During the banana phase, we had a near 72 hour constipation bout before figuring out the bananas are going to cause that. During the current carrot phase, I learned that carrots are REALLY going to help clean him out (which explained why he pooped 5 times in a day once). Does anyone have any other solids that cause constipation / are really fibrous and will help clean his colon? I did hear that applesauce would constipate him, along with the rice cereal (which I'm not touching anyway). I was considering zucchini next....

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: Fibrous solids
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 14:51:52 pm »
Why does his colon need cleaning??

Offline didiosa1980

• First time mommy
  • New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 15:51:57 pm »
Definitely not. I just have on my list that bananas and carrots are good starter foods for little kids starting solids....except I didn't know that carrots would be a 'cleaner' food.  :o

Just wanted to know what else I need to keep an eye on for on the spectrums.

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 16:05:07 pm »
Oh ok. I think in the stickies there are lists of laxative and non laxative foods? Can't link as on phone. But their little tummies do get less sensitive pretty quickly.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 19:42:04 pm »
It's here
Constipation and Laxative Foods

I'm super surprised by carrots though.  I read the laxative foods thread in an earlier carnation I think where it was a long discussion rather than a nice neat sticky and discovered carrots could constipate or firm up poo. I found this to be true with my DS and I could very naturally monitor and effect his poos with food by giving steamed carrot batons if he was a bit sloppy and a prune or two if he was a bit firm. It didn't really matter to us which other foods had what effect because with those two foods I could manage his poos on a day to day basis.