Author Topic: How much solids/finger food does your 8-9 month old eat?  (Read 1809 times)

lilac83

How much solids/finger food does your 8-9 month old eat?
« on: March 24, 2014, 16:36:33 pm »
My girl eats like a bird and I'm starting to worry because she's losing weight and hasn't gained in 3 months. I offer her these amounts for a day but she never eats this much, usually drinking 25-26 oz formula and varying on the solids from all offered to only a few bites:

- 28 oz formula split into four 7 oz bottles
- 1 oz oatmeal, 1 oz yogurt, 1 oz fruit at breakfast
- 1 oz rice, 1 oz veggie at lunch
- 1 oz rice, 1-2 oz veggie at dinner

I'm not sure I could get her to eat more because I feed her until she refuses more, but do those amounts seem age appropriate? Also, she is completely spoon fed because right now she shows no interest in putting food in her mouth. Bits of paper found on the floor - yes, food- no lol!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: How much solids/finger food does your 8-9 month old eat?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 20:29:43 pm »
I wouldn't worry about the solids at all. Milk is her primary food until 1yo and if weight gain is an issue it's the milk you want to keep up rather than solids, milk is more calorific and more nutritious than solids at this age.  Her milk intake looks fine.
One thing you might consider is switching the rice to something else, maybe a toast finger, cracker, pasta or fruit, it's just that rice has little nutritional value and if she fills on this it's not really going to benefit her. If she likes paper she might actually prefer something dry/crunchy like a bread stick rather than puree, but even then it is only tastes and experiences with solids for now. No need to panic if she isn't too interested yet.
Otherwise if she's loosing weight I would take her to the doctor.

lilac83

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 02:45:58 am »
I would love to give her cereal, toast or any finger food but she refuses to put it in her mouth. If I guide it toward her mouth while she's holding something she immediately drops it, stubborn girl! The rice is homemade brown rice though, not that flaky stuff from a box :). I guess I'll just continue to monitor her. She has a Dr appointment in about 3 weeks so maybe he'll have some more suggestions.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 08:04:16 am »
Whole grains (brown rice and pasta, wholegrain breads) are not recommended (in the UK at least) for babies as they are much harder to digest (so can be hard on the young gut) and too filling, making LO too full to take other food/milk.  I know she isn't eating much of it but you might still consider switching it to something else.
if she isn't that interested in solids yet I would just take a step back. Her milk is far more nutritious for her.  She may shown more interest in another couple of months. I know a few babies IRL who had almost no interest in solids until closer to 10 or 11 months but are now big eaters, they just weren't ready sooner.