Author Topic: 10mos - Cutting to 2 milk feeds too soon?  (Read 1746 times)

Offline ThomasTheTank

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
10mos - Cutting to 2 milk feeds too soon?
« on: March 24, 2014, 19:25:01 pm »
Hi,

My DS is nearly 10mos old and I'm hoping to cut down to 2 breast feeds in the next couple of weeks. I'm going back to work when he turns 11mos, so hoping to give him some time to settle in to the new routine instead of changing too much at once. Our current routine looks like this:

6am WU breast
7:30am solids
nap
10am snack after nap (yoghurt)
12pm solids
nap
3pm breast after nap
5pm solids
6:30pm breast
7pm bedtime

We replaced the 10am breastfeed with a snack at 8mos and that went fine. I did it then because he started to seem bored at that feed. He loves solids and eats loads at all sittings. He hasn't shown the same signs of wanting to cut out the afternoon feed, but given its been nearly 2 months on 3 breastfeeds and my need to cut out the afternoon breastfeed before I start back work, I'm wondering if I can go ahead and switch it. I'm open to replacing the afternoon breastfeed with a sippy of formula if that would be the best route. Because he's breastfed, I have no idea how much he drinks. The last time we did a pumped bottle was when he was around 8weeks and he was taking down 7oz at bedtime then.

Thanks in advance for any help!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 19:37:41 pm by ThomasTheTank »

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 10mos - Cutting to 2 milk feeds too soon?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 19:35:13 pm »
I wouldn't be in a hurry to switch it. In another month he might be showing signs he doesn't want that afternoon milk feed anyway so it would be a more appropriate time to switch, and LOs adapt pretty quickly. I would probably switch a week before you go back to work rather than now.

Offline ThomasTheTank

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 19:46:46 pm »
Thanks Creations! I suppose you're right that they adapt quickly.. I was so worried when we switched from 4 to 3 but he sat down at the high chair and ate his yoghurt like he'd been doing it all his life ;0 

Our nanny is starting in a week to provide lots of crossover before I go back to work. If I were to switch the afternoon feed for formula, how much milk would I aim for him to drink? Can't quite decide if I want to do that.. after 10mos of exclusive breastfeeding and being so close to the 1year mark, it seems silly, but in all honesty, I'm ready for some freedom.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 08:16:19 am »
TBH giving formula in a sippy cup might not be as easy as you expect.  You can try a sippy or a straw, I would just buy a very small amount of formula though, maybe a ready made carton if you have those where you live, as it may all be rejected.  I would imagine he wouldn't take more than a couple of oz really although that's based on my ff LO having formula in a cup rather than switching from bf - you don't want to get yourself stressed over trying to get him to take formula if he doesn't like it and if he would happily take a finger of cheese in a months time, yk?
A yoghurt or milk pudding or a piece of cheese would also add to his daily dairy intake and he still has the chance to feed full on from the breast twice per day after you do the switch.
I would image the switch will go smoothly, just as the other did.