Author Topic: Hungry in between feeds but wont drink more  (Read 5204 times)

Offline Sarah8019

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Hungry in between feeds but wont drink more
« on: March 25, 2014, 14:37:53 pm »
Hi all

I'm fairly new to bottle feeding as I breastfed for the first four months but now I'm doing combined feeding so that in the day DS drinks formula ( I breastfeed first thing in morning and last thing at night).

DS is 24 weeks old and is fed every four hours and this used to work fine.  Recently he seems to be getting really hungry after about three hours but yet he will never drink any more than 5-6 ounces per feed.

I'm wondering if I should feed him, then try and get some more down him an hour or so later so perhaps make up an eight ounce bottle but give it in two halves? Or is this perhaps a sign that he is ready to start solids? Any thoughts would be appreciated :)

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Hungry in between feeds but wont drink more
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 21:01:18 pm »
What flow teat do you have him on?

I wouldn't split feeds into smaller bottles as you will be setting up a snacking habit. It could be growth spurt time so he is a bit extra hungry at the moment.

Laura

Offline Sarah8019

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 08:15:00 am »
Hi,

I'm using a medium flow teat having recently moved from slow flow. 

The "snacking" habit is definitely one I don't want to get into but I just can't seem to get en ough milk down him! Maybe it is an early six months growth spurt, everything is all over the place a the minute, eating, napping etc ::)

Offline Lolly

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 13:06:34 pm »
As you are still breastfeeding too you may be better sticking with the medium teat in case he develops a bottle preference. If he is extra hungry I would just feed him more often if that's what he needs. If your routine is all over the place it could be that tiredness is driving the hunger a bit too.

You aren't far off starting solids and at 24 weeks it would be fine to start now if that's what you choose to do. You may find that things settle a bit then.

Laura

Offline Sarah8019

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 10:28:17 am »
Thanks, I think starting solids may be the way to go as ideally i dont want to start feeding him milk more often at his age.  I was trying to be good and hold off till 26 weeks but DS seems to want food.  I'm going to take him grabbing food off our plates and trying to shove it in his mouth as a sign!!  :)

Offline Lolly

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 19:15:09 pm »
I'm going to take him grabbing food off our plates and trying to shove it in his mouth as a sign!!  :)

I would too!!

Good luck!

Laura