Author Topic: First A time??  (Read 947 times)

Offline Rubes_ct12

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: March 25, 2014, 22:48:06 pm »
Hi

No matter what time my LO wakes (13 weeks) ie: anywhere from 6-8am her first A time is tricky!

I'm trying to extend her A times as she is a short napper. However her first A time she starts really getting tired by 45 min- I try not to put her to bed before the hour but I'm wandering am I missing her sleep window or do I ignore her sleep cues and keep her up for 1 hour 15. Because sometimes she won't fall asleep for 30 min when I put her down but other times she's out like a light (still wakes at 45min)

The rest of her a times are about 1 hour 15 but I'm wanting to extend to 1.5 if I can.

When I extend do I include the first a time?? And do I do it for all naps in one day?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: First A time??
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 07:37:00 am »
You could try regulating her morning WU time by waking her at 7 if she is still asleep, this could help work out the first A time.

Is she an independent sleeper?  Did she used to take longer naps and transition the sleep cycle on her own?

Offline Rubes_ct12

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 08:10:51 am »
Hi thanks for your reply.

Yes she is an independent sleeper most of the time, uses the paci though.

She has always woken at 45 but used to resettle herself back to sleep. About 5 weeks ago stopped resettling back to sleep. Often just lying in there grunting- sometimes I can resettle but can take 45min. if she cries I can usually resttle her back to sleep with pat shush easily.

I have tried waking her at 7 and she was not happy at all, crying not wanting to feed so I put her back down and she slept for another 45 then was ok.

Offline creations

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 17:21:48 pm »
OK I would probably let her wake naturally then if you are happy with that. Increase that first A time the way you plan to, with a bit of distraction to extend.  If she has a reasonable nap you could increase the other A times too, if she short naps then I'd leave the others at 1hr 15 which they are atm.
Have you tried W2S to shush/pat her through the transition?
How do I address habitual wakings? (wake-to-sleep and other methods)

Offline Rubes_ct12

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 22:12:05 pm »
Hi thanks.

I've just popped her down for her first nap of the day after an A time of 1.5hrs so will see how she goes. She wasn't crying when I put her down and went to sleep very easily on her own with paci.

I've tried w2s on a few odd occasions but can't seem to get it right, the only time it sort of worked she stayed asleep but only light sleep (I was in there with my hand on her for 45min) and as soon as I left she woke and it was feed time by then. The next time I went in at 35min she woke up completely and then got hiccups so I just got her up. If I do it what would be the best time? And do I stir her and then put pressure on her until she's settled or do I have to make sure she's in deep sleep?

Offline Rubes_ct12

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 23:23:20 pm »
She still woke at 45 was almost back asleep then the neighbour made a noise and startled her then she's been trying to go back to sleep but just can't quite get there! It's almost 3 hours since her feed so I'll get her up soon.

So do I then count this 40 min as part of her A time? It just start again? Thx

Offline creations

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 08:48:41 am »
I would use the W2S for naps option 1 on the link I gave.

Increasing her A won't necessarily show a long nap immediately, you'd need to hold it there for a week or so.  As she was relaxing in bed even though awake I'd prob do a full A time from getting up to eat, or just a little reduced, not much, you don't want to keep heading into UT naps.  It's a shame the neighbour made noise!!

Offline Rubes_ct12

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 09:11:31 am »
Yes I know! She was almost there!! Her next nap she woke at 25min and was lying in there quietly and went back to sleep after 45min.

I'll def continue with the increased a time I think. But at the end of the day she's veryyyy fussy and usually calms once she's in bed but this is defs less then 1.5hr more like 1 hour hopefully that's ok- sometimes going straight to sleep sometimes lying in there for ages not asleep but calm.

And yep I'll give w2s a go tomorrow. I saw on the monitor she stirs at 35min and that's when I was going in so obviously need to go in at 30 like it says. It says to pat til they are relaxed again , are you using the pat to bring them out of deep sleep as well. Or waiting for them to  first stir? Thx

Offline Rubes_ct12

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 23:37:58 pm »
Had a successful morning!! Kept her up for 1.5hrs and did w2s successfully (I think)

I went in at about 25min mark and started patting she stirred a bit. I kept patting, she still sort of woke at 40min and spat out paci I popped it back in and kept patting for 10min then stopped and sat there for 5 min and left and she stayed asleep  :)

So is that w2s still... Or did I just help her when she woke at 40min. Anyway it worked so will try it for the rest of the day. The only thing that worries me is if she becomes reliant on me being there for the transition as she doesn't need me to go to sleep initially!

Offline creations

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 08:11:05 am »
Yes that's W2S - you did it! :)
It's perfectly normal for LO to open eyes or move at the sleep transition, adults do it too at every transition through the night, open eyes or roll over etc, it's just we don't remember it.
Do W2S in 4 day cycles, using it days 1,2,3 hold off for day 4 and just observe to see if she learned to transition alone, if she does then you no longer need W2S.  if not then try to resettle for that nap, and continue W2S days 5,6,7 hold off day 8...

Offline Rubes_ct12

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 09:06:58 am »
Ok fab! I'll do it for the next 2 days.

Her middle nap was no go she was already awake when I went in. And her last nap was successful but she definite woke up as started crying a little but resettled easily with me patting and slept for another 45.

Hopefully she'll get the picture! She has been short napping for sooo long now she just doesn't realise she has to transition!!

1 last question, she seems to tolerate the 1.5hr first a time but the rest of the day she struggles a bit with them. Do I persevere with all her a times or just increase slowly? Thx

Offline creations

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 11:37:18 am »
I would persevere as the extra tiredness should help with the transition. Obviously don't go too fast increasing, but 10 or 15 mins every few days is fine.