Author Topic: Getting rid of 2am feed?  (Read 1367 times)

Offline writergirl

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Thank you!
Getting rid of 2am feed?
« on: March 25, 2014, 23:02:10 pm »
How can we get rid of the 2am feed for our twins?

They will be 4 months old next week. I think baby girl is the one who usually wakes up first. Sometimes I wonder if baby boy would sleep through the night if baby girl didn't wake up at that time...

I'm not sure if this is important, but she weighed 5lbs at birth and now weighs 12. Baby boy weighed 7lbs at birth and now weighs 16. They were full term babies born at 38 weeks. She averages 3 ounces per feed. He averages 4. It depends, some feeds they drink more, in others it's less.

Here's our EASY routine in case it helps. They take 4 naps per day ranging from 30 minutes (darn sleep cycles!) to 2 hours.  Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Easy routine

E. 630am
A
S.  730

E. 930
A
S. 1045

E. 1230pm
A
S. 2

E. 330
A.
S. between 430 -5

E. 6-630
A. Bath
S. between 630-7. Bedtime.

E. between 10-11 dream feed

E. between 2-3am

Start over
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 04:02:16 am by writergirl »
*** Jackie ***  mommy to boy/girl twins born 12/3/13

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: Getting rid of 2am feed?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 22:37:38 pm »
Hi hun,

Are they taking a full feed at 2am or just a little and then falling back asleep. I ask because I think its ok for them to have 2 feeds at that age and maybe its genuine hunger. At 4 months, you could look at transitioning them to 4hr EASY, in which case they will be eating every 4 hrs and will take more in and maybe they will drop one of the night feeds on their own. Although dd3 had the ability to sleep 12 hrs at 4 months, it wasn't consistent and we had up to 2 night feeds at that age. I personally don't think there is a correlation between how "big" a baby is to how long he/she can sleep at night :-\

If you think one is waking up the other, is separating them an option? Or could you use white noise machine so that the 2nd twin isn't woken up by the 1st...

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline writergirl

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Thank you!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 08:05:37 am »
layla -

thank you.

the babies weren't taking a full feed at 2am. we've moved them to a 4 hr easy. they still wake up at 2am, 3, and 4.
at 2 and 3, i put the pacifier back in and reswaddle them and they fall back asleep. same thing at 3 if they've managed to get out of swaddle.  when they wake at 4am, i feed them since i don't know if they can make it to their wake up time feed (between 7-8). and also because i need to get a good amount of sleep since i've been up since 2. i'd love to not have to get up at 2 and 3, and ideally until 7, but i don't know how to do that. i plan to start a post for this new question. 

*** Jackie ***  mommy to boy/girl twins born 12/3/13

Offline dache

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 08:42:42 am »
I have the same problem. She wakes up soooo many times a night we are going crazy.
At least these two days she takes good naps. Well, yesterday I had to pick her up then calm her down for 30min and then put her back to finish her nap. Today I just had to give her the paci a few times when she started crying.

I was thinking, maybe she is not feeding well during the day because she eats at night? She has at least one full feed and then 2-3 oz on the next one, plus crying in between and sometimes maybe one small feed 1,5oz. I feed her to calm her at night because nothing else is working, cant do pu/pd cant do pat/shsss and the paci (which I stated to hate, I think it might have become a prop) doesnt work always, she sometimes cries with the paci in her mouth
I read here about diluting at night feeds. Decreasing the number of scoops of formula in the same amount of water. This is supposed to make her more hungry during the day and eat more. She is 3m 2w old. Should a give it a go?