Author Topic: If we don't see improvements soon, she may find herself on eBay  (Read 815 times)

Offline ecb01js

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hi all, received some stellar advice in the past so I'm Hoping somebody will be able to help me with my tricky bird, dd2.
She had severe silent reflux from birth which was caused by milk intolerance. Endless hospital stays and medication changes, endoscopy, biopsies, yadda yadda yadda, couldn't be flat or even reclined in car seat or pram until 5.5 months.
She is now almost 7months, she has grown out of her reflux but is left with the cmpi so are weaning dairy free.

Had repeatedly tried to get her into an age appropriate easy but kept failing so just went with her (bonkers) flow.
Our current routine, that is based around her eating (she doesn't drink much milk due to associating bottle with pain) is not an easy routine, it is what suits her so have only included sleep times. Her activity time is made up Of tummy time and snacking as instructed by dietician.
Wake 5.30-7
Sleep 9-9.45
Sleep 12.30-2.30/3
Bed 6.30/7

Now, up until 3 weeks ago, she was only comfortable napping in sling bit now takes first nap in pram and second in cot. This is MASSIVE back saving progress.

However, our nights are utterly hideous.

Since the beginning we have had a set bedtime routine (dd1s) so soothing tub, story massage etc have always been in place.

For the past three weeks she has woken every hr from 7-12 had a cot party 12-3 then I've caved and either slept with her in sofa in her room or had her in our bed.

As her early months were full of pain, feeding issues and distress she was always fed to sleep- if she didn't she wouldn't feed or sleep. She went three months only eating during night when sleepy, the pain association was too strong in the day.
She was always swaddled and on her tummy with a dummy in a raised cot.

I don't know what to tackle first.

I feel that I have created bad habits (totally necessary at first) that now need to be broken but I'm
At a loss as to what to do.

She has a little cold, is teething I think, is trying to commando crawl and has mild seperation anxiety (or maybe just used to being stuck to me 24/7?)

So basically, when she cries at 8, I top up her feed and give her dummy.
An hr later I give her some anbesol and dummy.
10 I sometimes feed her- dream feeding didn't agree with her in the midst of her reflux
From 12-3, I'm so tired I go in with everything- milk, calpol, reswaddle, dummy, cuddle to sleep, whatever it takes. I know this is not right but I haven't had more than two hrs unbroken sleep in 7 months,
I'm desperate.

I know you will look at the routine and say it's a routine issue, but due to her feeding requirements, I do not want to change this unless absolutely necessary, her weight isn't great and we are often threatened with tube feeding by a particularly sensitive dr.

I need a plan of attack for the nights. I think I need to interfere less and leave her to 'fuss it out' -
She rarely cries Initially, she just rolls about giggling and singing-I just dash in to try to prevent it escalating
Which it does if I don't go in.

I apologies for the rambling nature
Of this post, I'm fairly broken, sleep
Wise.

If you need any more information I can give that, trying to put what I think is relevant.

Thank you so much x

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: If we don't see improvements soon, she may find herself on eBay
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 14:17:31 pm »
(((Hugs))) what a rough start for you all and I can't imagine how tired you must be.

Although her routine isn't a typical BW one, it's one I've seen work for other friends so if you're happy with it, I see no major reason for it to change :)

If she's definitely over the pain/discomfort (including from teething which can cause reflux flares) then I'd guess that props are your main issue now.  Totally understandable - you should definitely not feel bad about doing what you needed to do for all those months she was unwell.  But I agree a plan for the night wakings would be a good one, something you feel you can be consistent with and ideally something someone else (friend, Mum, partner?) can support you with too.

PUPD is good for this age but not really recommended for refluxers so I'd probably stay away from that.  Instead I'd try something like sitting by her cot and reassuring with your voice, picking up to calm only if she gets completely hysterical but then aiming to do the majority of soothing back in the cot.  You could rub her back if that helps as that's something (like shh pat) that shouldn't be hard to wean - you just stop progressively earlier before she is fully asleep and let her do more of the work on her own.  Once she can fall asleep on her own in the cot with you sitting next to her, you could use gradual withdrawal to work your way out of the room.

What do you think?

Offline MarciaMSPT

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
    • DIY Home Health Physical Therapy
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 16:07:35 pm »
Oh my!  Big hugs to you!  I can't imagine the sleep deprivation you are enduring.  I'll keep my eyes open for her on eBay :):)  I had to chuckle when I read your title. :)

From a Christian stand point, I just prayed for you, the God would give you wisdom, strength, courage and SLEEP!  And will continue to do so!

Know that you are not alone and it does get better... hugs hugs hugs again!
With God all things are possible!

Offline ecb01js

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 20:13:45 pm »
Yes, that sounds like a plan.
How long 'should' it take to work? Pupd is def not an option, whenever I pick her up, she wraps her hands round my neck and snogs me then snuggles- she is a mummy addict so pupd just seems unkind to her to make her think it's mummy time when it's sleep time!
I put her down very sleepy but stroked her cheek a bit to stir her. My plan for when she wakes is to Shh oat her and put her dummy into her hand- she can put it in herself in the day.
I know dummy is a prop but I feel I can't take everything away all at once, I'll end up caving and making no progress. I Have taken the cushions off the sofa in her room and put them on the floor next to her cot so I can Shh her during the night. I imagine I will be in thre a fair while tonight!
With regard night feedings, am I best trying not to feed her before or after a certain time?
Feeling ready to tackle this box of crazy!!
Thank you xxx

Offline AlanaCYK

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 13:10:06 pm »
I too lol'd when I read your title! I don't have any solid advice to offer but just wanted to send you [[ hugs]] and I wish for many sleep-filled nights in the future!!,

Offline Violet's mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 13:46:11 pm »
At that age my LO was still on 2 night feeds - she should be able to go four hours at least between feeds - but double check with your dr.  Hugs for the sleep deprivation - it's so hard!  Sounds like some good advice you got there so I hope that works wonders for you!

**Tracy**