Author Topic: Still not sleeping through the night at 7.5 months  (Read 1395 times)

Offline MammabearM

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Still not sleeping through the night at 7.5 months
« on: March 28, 2014, 15:34:14 pm »
My textbook LO has been on EASY since she was three months old but has never consistently slept through the night (has not needed to be fed after the DF since she was 4 months old). For the past two months or so she has had a pretty consistent pattern of waking up in the night (75% of the time it occurs between 9-11 but it has happened any time between 40 min after bedtime and 4am) and it takes 1.5-2 hrs to get her back to sleep.

I am positive it is not hunger related as she rarely eats all the formula and solids offered (she drinks between 32 and 24 oz a day plus 3-6 oz of solids) and she has occasionally refused the DF. I also don't think it's UT related as she never naps for more than 3 hrs during the day (morning nap is usually 1.5, afternoon 1hr). She is usually super easy to get down for naps, bedtime takes a bit longer but isn't really that difficult. We have a consistent routine for getting ready and going to bed. I would buy that it could be OT related but she's done it even on days where she naps for a full 3 hrs.

When she wakes in the night she is sometimes fairly quiet but wide awake and other times seems quite upset but just can't fall into a deep sleep. I always wait for her to cry to go in and use a combination of the PU/PD technique for her age group if she is actively crying, sitting with my hand on her if she's quiet but calms with me touching her or just sitting nearby if she isn't responding well to being touched. She uses a soother during sleep times and can put it in herself but we have her in a zipadeezip so she cannot always replace it herself. She does not wake up when it falls out in deep sleep but if she wakes in the night it does need to be replaced. I will be transitioning her out of this and into a sleep sac soon.

Her day looks something like this:

0630-0700 wake
E-0730 (0830 solids)
A
S-0900/0930 - 1030/1100 (start time depends on when she woke up and when she shows signs of fatigue, this nap is usually the best one at 1.5 hrs but sometimes only 1 hr long)
E- 1130 (1230 solids)
A
S- 1330/1400 - 1430/1500 (this nap is hit or miss 40min to 1hr)
E- 1530 (1730 solids)
A bath
E -  1800 bottle
S- 1830

She is usually awake for 3-3.5 hrs except in the morning she can't seem to make it past 2.5 ( although she may wake before I do and hang out in her crib first thing so she could be up for 3 hrs without me knowing it). I've been trying to address these night wakings for two months, making small changes to her day routine, dropping the cat nap, transitioning her out of the swaddler, etc, always waiting about two weeks between changes to see if it'll do the trick but with no luck. My next goal is to get her out of the zipadeezip and drop the DF but this is more so because its that time not because I think it'll help her sleep through the night. So I'm pretty much out of ideas. Anyone else have any?

Offline 1stimer

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
Re: Still not sleeping through the night at 7.5 months
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 17:19:07 pm »
I'm no expert on sleep issues so hopefully one of them will hop on here to help soon. I can say that our DD never slept through the night until she was 1 maybe even 1.5. We fiddled with everything trying to figure it out . She will be 3 in April and still isn't consistent with it. I figure she's like me and is just a fitful sleeper. Even right now we are going through night 6 in a row of night wakings. She will go 2 weeks maybe 3 at a time and then hit a fitful week or more. Theres always a developmental leap or ill.ess that seems to throw them off track :( ....good luck with it. We've been there and just have gotten used to it. Hopefully you can get yours figured out!!!

[/url]

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 17:27:27 pm »
Ya, my DS didn't start sleeping through the night consistently until 11months - 1yr.  His routine was fine, ate well, napped decent, no major issues/problems.  We weaned the NF at about 8 months because it was decreasing his daytime feeds and he continued to wake generally once a night for another 3-4 months after that even though it wasn't hunger related.  I would say it is completely normal for a 7.5month old to not be STTN.  As 1stimer said, we still go through patches of not STTN (though more often that not he does), but we hit blips now and again when he doesn't.

A mod can certainly take a look though, but for us it just took some time :)

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 17:30:59 pm »
For the past two months or so she has had a pretty consistent pattern of waking up in the night (75% of the time it occurs between 9-11 but it has happened any time between 40 min after bedtime and 4am) and it takes 1.5-2 hrs to get her back to sleep.
Have you tried W2S at all?  For a while around the same age my DS was waking at around 10-11pm every single night so I did W2S for 3 or 4 nights and it worked perfectly.

Offline MammabearM

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 19:09:12 pm »
I would try W2S but she's all over the place on when she wakes up. Last night was 130, the night before 2030....

Offline KookyK

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 19:09:40 pm »
I was using a zipadeezip and found DS transitioned straight to sleeping bag a d hands out no prob (whereas a month before weaning the swaddle was awful). So that might not be too hard.

Can u bring the morning A time forward say 10 mins at a time - gradually?
DD jan 2008
DS August 2013