Author Topic: Why is DS so hungry? Time to supplement with formula?  (Read 1661 times)

Offline Miamamma

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Why is DS so hungry? Time to supplement with formula?
« on: March 28, 2014, 16:05:55 pm »
My DD has always been bf. We started BLW at 6 months but he's only really exploring solids still.
He used to feed every 3.5 -4 hours but for the last few weeks he has been ravenous and wants to feed every couple of hours during the day. I don't think he's snacking as he seems to empty both breasts each time. He also feeds regularly at night (roughly 10:30, 1:30 and 4:00).
My DH thinks I should start to supplement with formula to see if he will sleep longer at night. He thinks my milk isn't enough for him. However, he is gaining weight well and a big boy (91st percentile). I have wondered if all this feeding was due to teething, GS or a cold (slight runny nose but only one nostril). However, it's gone on for a while now and I'm not sure whether to plough on like this for a bit longer or what?
He has mild reflux which we do not medicate for as I did find an improvement when I cut out dairy from my diet. I tried eating some hidden dairy yesterday (cake!) and although his spitting up didn't increase, he did have a very unsettled night and an explosive BM today (this may not be related though as this also happened last week). I haven't a clue about formula as DD went straight to cows milk at 15 months. There must be suitable dairy free versions?
I'm going back to work 2 days a week in June so things will need to change somehow by then but I don't how to go about it. Please can anyone help? Thank you x

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Why is DS so hungry? Time to supplement with formula?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 16:17:26 pm »
As someone who mixed fed all her kids, you can let your DH know that formula is no guarantee for better sleep ;). Also with intolerances it can be hard to find one that doesnt upset their tummy...our older kids had to have soy but DD3 has done okay on a more broken down formula so far (plus I can now have some dairy so I think she is outgrowing it).

Reflux can flare during growth spurts, perhaps it is bothering him again?
Heidi

Offline Miamamma

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 16:47:43 pm »
Perhaps...he doesn't spit up any more than he did but I suppose that could just be because his tummy is stronger? Could the reflux simply show itself through more regular feeds? It's so hard to know what's going on with him. Every day I have a different theory. He has two bottom teeth already but every morning I expect to see more peep through as he's showing so many signs of teething.
What would you do if you were me?

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 17:32:29 pm »
Hmmm...usually the simplest explanation is the right one and if he is not in discomfort perhaps the reflux is not an issue (although they can have acid burning without the spit up) so perhaps it is more a case of the growth spurt leading him to need a bit more.  Breast milk is so highly digestible that sometimes formula can help keep them full longer but it wont always mean less wakings and could impact your supply. Besides if he is that high in the percentiles your milk is for sure doing the trick! 

Do you intend to use ebm or formula when you are back to work?
Heidi

Offline Miamamma

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 17:52:19 pm »
Formula I think, as I HATE expressing and I intend to wean him fully around his first birthday. His dairy intolerance makes things a bit trickier though, provided he hasn't / doesn't grow out of it.

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 17:59:59 pm »
Yeah I cannot express really...we did soy formula with my older girls and have DD3 on a more broken down milk based one (just whey protien). So far so good. Might be worthwhile to introduce it if only for the sake of getting used to it!
Heidi

Offline Beara

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 09:49:23 am »
Perhaps try increasing his solids  to satisfy his hunger? Hope he settles.   :)

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 11:50:03 am »
Perhaps try increasing his solids  to satisfy his hunger? Hope he settles.   :)

The recommendations (here at least) are that before one a baby needs their main nutrition from breastmilk or formula and filling up on solids can take away from that. "Before one, food for fun" is the saying they use here.

How is he getting on now?
Heidi

Offline Miamamma

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 15:44:06 pm »
Well the daytime feeds seem to have settled back down to every 3.5 hours or so, thank goodness. Nights still aren't great but they never have been tbh. I think I will try him on soy formula and see what happens. I've never tried him with a bottle, let alone different milk so no idea what he'll make of it. However, I'm conscious that we only have 2 months before I return to work and I need to make sure I won't be leaving a hungry baby behind and walking around with leaky boobs!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 21:32:27 pm »
In the UK soy formula is not recommended unless it is on the advice of a doctor. If you suspect a MPI then I would go to your GP so you can get an appropriate infant formula with fully hydrolysed proteins on prescription.
http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/can-i-give-my-baby-soya-based-infant-formula.aspx
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/types-of-infant-formula.aspx#close
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Miamamma

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 20:34:05 pm »
Thanks so much for letting me know about the soy formula. I had no idea. I am wondering how dairy intolerant he really is these days as I've been getting more lax with my diet (hidden dairy in yummy things)  and not seen any change in DS. I'm scared to just go for it and drink milk etc though, in case I make him really uncomfortable....

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 19:09:32 pm »
Can I suggest you start a new post on the food allergies board about reintroducing milk? You will get some great advice from ladies who have been there done that :)
Food Allergies

Offline Miamamma

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 20:25:10 pm »
Good idea. Yes, gone off on a tangent a bit!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 20:31:16 pm »
That's not a problem I just know you will get more relevant eyes and support on your issue on the FA board :)