Author Topic: afternoon activity.  (Read 1857 times)

Offline haribo89

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: March 30, 2014, 17:48:31 pm »
Hi all! Sorry if this is the wrong place.
I was just wondering what all you do after nap? At the moment naps are at about 1pm for 1.5-2 hours. By the time she wakes up properly and we get her dressed (she likes to nap in pjs) its about 3.30 and I start cooking food at 4.30. So how do other mums tire there LOs out in the afternoon? Becuase she seems to have excess energy at BT.

Offline Aishi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 105
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 18:08:48 pm »
Hello

We tend to do our tiring out activities in the morning when los have most energy so most afternoons are low key. We do arts and crafts, play doh, role play etc. If feeling adventurous we go to the library or pet shop.hth!
aishi :)

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 44
Re: afternoon activity.
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 18:14:06 pm »
Same here. We do all our running around in the morning. We'll take the dogs for a walk in the afternoon and maybe hit the grocery store but most times we stay in the hosue and play music, do chores he can help with etc.
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline haribo89

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 21:19:22 pm »
We do the same, morning we go to the park if nice or soft play, visiting etc. Then in the afternoon we stay in and play, sometimes we will go to the park or out for a meal but its rare. However nap time she settles rather fast, bedtime is a different story all togeather, always has been. A time is roughly 6hr morning, 5-5.5hrs afternoon so don't think its routine related.

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 06:50:37 am »
I just chase DS around the garden if there isn't much time after nap!

He likes to play hide and seek, treasure hunt and just good old I'm coming to get you  ;D Sometimes he'll sit on his balance bike too, although he still needs a lot of help so it doesn't tire him physically, but a more able child may enjoy doing an obstacle course around skittles or plastic cones on a scooter or ride-on  :)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 08:15:38 am »
We never really had time to go out between nap and dinner when DS still had a nap but DS always needed something physical. Here's a few of the things we enjoyed:
- mark out a track (line) of tape on the floor from one room to another and run the track like a train/car
- mark out big shapes on the kitchen floor (masking tape or bath crayons which wash off easily) then do a fast game of running/jumping/hopping (he couldn't hop though) to each shape as you call them out.
- as above shapes, leave a basket of shapes in the living room, shout out a shape and he runs to fetch it and bring it back to the kitchen to place in the correct shape (this game with colours, numbers, letters, animals, blocks, toy fruits/foods etc depending on LO's interests)
- make queues/lines of cars/small world characters - again from one room to another so he would run get a person run back line it up, run get another person, run lined it up.
- play toddler band with musical instruments. Basket of instruments in the living room, we each pick one, then head off to the kitchen (it's our longest walk without heading upstairs) singing and playing our shakers/guitar etc. DS often jogged to burn off excess energy. This is an after dinner fav. ten mins to wear off his last bit of energy before bed time hour begins.
- assault course made from sofa cushions, little chair, big chair, crawl under table, through chair legs, throw a sock ball into a basket, slither on belly, jump 5 times etc.
- wrestling and balancing on mummy. Lots of rolling around on the carpet, arm pushes, body pushes, this also teaches rules of wrestling to stay safe and not hurt anyone (this is another one DS does just before BT rather than after nap, it's like he knows he needs to get rid of his final bit of energy so his body can relax in bed).
- hide and seek mixed up with chase/tig. Or just chase, we just run after one another until he's shattered.

There are some ideas here too
Physical Activity (To Tire Out) When Cold/Dark Outside - Ideas?

Offline haribo89

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 14:24:30 pm »
Brilliant ideas, thank you. I especially like the omes with shapes/colors etc. My DD is 20 months and just starting to learn these so will be a great help. Ive made little courses for her in the past, including a tunnel, little slide, trampoline which she loved doing.
Ive tried to discourage physical activity after dinner, we finish eating at around 6 and bt Is 8. Maybe I should encourage it until 7/bath time? Maybe where ive been going wrong.