Author Topic: Baby refusing solids previously accepted!  (Read 2740 times)

Offline Mum41

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Baby refusing solids previously accepted!
« on: March 30, 2014, 19:44:14 pm »
Hi myLO is 6 months and has had solids since 17 weeks because she had reflux badly and the dietician we've been seeing advised to start early. First tastes went well and she was having a couple of teaspoons or more of things like pear, apple, cauliflower, parsnip, sweet potato.  At our last visit to the dietician she said to increase to 3 meals a day with meats and fish introduced and to increase the amounts and reduce the formula to about 600-700 ml (has been having 800-900ml).  I'm now finding that she is starting to refuse things she previously liked and also won't have the chicken purée I made or the cottage pie ( both Annabel Karmel recipes).  I 'm worried that the feeding experience is becoming distressing for her (has been very upset and screamed at me when I tried offering her food for last 2 days).  Strangely she is happy to eat her breakfast - weetabix and will have fruit purée but nothing else.  I'm also confused by the advice I've had as it seems to go against most other info on what to expect for a 6 month old - why the hurry with the solids and why so much so soon?  Has anyone got any experience of this. .

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
Re: Baby refusing solids previously accepted!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 20:04:29 pm »
Couldn't read and not post.

I am no expert on reflux babies but I have asked others with experience to come and have a look.

If LO is upset, then I would just back off, and leave it for now.  There's no point in creating distressing memories of meal times.  A week, or two, is a long long time for a baby, so if you have to hold off for a bit, you can try again soon.  It *does* sound like a lot of food for any 6 mo, especially one with reflux.  I know the general rule of thumb is 'food is fun until one' and that nutrition is supposed to derive from milk (breast or formula) until they are 12 mos.

But, as I say, I've asked some more experienced folks to come and offer their advice.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 20:07:58 pm »
How is she doing with her milk feeds? Could her reflux be playing up or could it be teeth? LOs often go off their food for a bit for a number of reasons - but normally teeth!

Having said that we only just started solids at 6 months, let alone 3 meals a day. I know a lot of HVs seem to push early solids for refluxes but I don't think this is always the right thing. Maybe cut back on acidic foods as this could be troubling the reflux?

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 00:34:57 am »
I don't know why the push for refluxers. My second was pushed in to solids by the public peads and he got so sick. Before 1 food is for fun - period. We had to cut ALL solids bar pumpkin and Chicken broth at 8 months for a month and T was just fine so please don't feel you have to up the solids for your LO to be ok, go with your gut :-*

How is she doing with her milk feeds? Could her reflux be playing up or could it be teeth? LOs often go off their food for a bit for a number of reasons - but normally teeth!
Also wondering this ^^ also how are poops?
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Mum41

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 07:47:50 am »
Hi - thank you both for your replies.  She's doing well with her milk feeds.  She definitely was having a teething attack for a couple of days and poos were more frequent and giving her nappy rash but this has calmed down.  I will step back as I don't want food to become negative for her.  I just find the dietician ( head dietician of our local hospital no less!) very confusing.  She keeps saying that the iron babies are born with is depleted at 6 months and must be obtained from diet other than formula!  LO is on Neocate as she has possible cows milk allergy.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 08:35:41 am »
She keeps saying that the iron babies are born with is depleted at 6 months and must be obtained from diet other than formula!  LO is on Neocate as she has possible cows milk allergy.
This is true, but if there is concern over your Los iron then she should be offering a blood test to check this out. My ds2 has very very low iron - not sure if it away the result of gut bleeding or malabsorption which losec inhibits etc but because his iron was so low he needed supps. Food won't help on it's own if his levels are low, and if your LO has normal iron levels then a small amount of solids will cover iron needs. - neocate has iron in it anyway.

Bone broths are really healing for the gut, full of iron and goodness and can be put in most things - or drunk as a soup. ;)

Definitely let her lead you  keep an eye on her reflux, poops and teeth.
***Sara***

Offline weaver

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 09:04:03 am »
She keeps saying that the iron babies are born with is depleted at 6 months and must be obtained from diet other than formula!
This is a bit of an old chestnut, one that paeds and dieticians love to repeat and which worries mothers sick.  The question is really whether *your* baby has low iron.  If there are any indications that she does, she should be tested and steps taken then.  Lots of babies who aren't regularly seen by a dietician or paed get along just fine with milk and whatever amount of solids they take in, which is often very little at 6mos.  Follow your instinct and your baby :)
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 11:33:17 am »
She keeps saying that the iron babies are born with is depleted at 6 months and must be obtained from diet other than formula!  LO is on Neocate as she has possible cows milk allergy.

As far as I am aware I thought the latest advice surrounding this was that at 6 months you introduce a variety of foods - not that you start weaning at 4 months... Ie chicken, veg, pulses - fruit as it contains vit C and that helps iron to absorb.

Offline Mum41

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 12:55:46 pm »
Hi everyone - thank you I really appreciate your time and thoughts.  I feel better having posted on here  :). You place so much trust in the experts that it's hard to go against what they say but I think I've got to follow my baby here.  She's a sensitive thing in general and it's going to take time for her to accept new flavours and textures I think.  She still likes her weetabix so I'll keep that going and will go right back to basics with baby rice and fruit purée for the other meal times.  There's no evidence that my LO is low in iron so I'm not sure why she keeps mentioning it.  I was so pleased with our progress when we went to see her last as we'd finally got the milk feeding really sorted and LO was having big feeds with 4 hour gaps when previously she was a fussy snacker.  Instead of telling us well done she just said I needed to increase the solids and reduce the milk over the next fortnight which seemed ridiculously quick to me.  The dietician wanted me to increase the amount of solids by a tablespoon at a time which also seemed a lot!

Offline weaver

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 12:57:23 pm »
I was so pleased with our progress when we went to see her last as we'd finally got the milk feeding really sorted and LO was having big feeds with 4 hour gaps when previously she was a fussy snacker.
Well done, that does sound like brilliant progress!

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 18:59:37 pm »
Instead of telling us well done she just said I needed to increase the solids and reduce the milk over the next fortnight which seemed ridiculously quick to me.  The dietician wanted me to increase the amount of solids by a tablespoon at a time which also seemed a lot!
Yeah that seems a lot,and milk should be your Los primary food douce till closer to 9 months than 6 :-\

***Sara***