Author Topic: Awake 2 hours in the nights  (Read 5143 times)

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
Re: Awake 2 hours in the nights
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2014, 00:19:31 am »
Is it normal no but is it normal for a lsn child it can be. My lo never slept more than 10.5 until he was on 1 nap. Just his nature. Even now he rarely sleeps more than 11hrs at night on 1 1.5hr nap.

So I would go back to 2 1.5hr naps with a 13hr day. See what happens with that. I'm not an expert you know your lo better than anyone. :)
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline gb18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2014, 18:06:04 pm »
Ok I will try that again and let u know how I get on. 

Just out of interest what would uh ace done on a day like today as think I have caused a great big mess!!!

Wu 6.30 ( yay!!!! ) ( 11hr sleep)
We have a group today and I can no longer apop a quick nap there or get a nap in pre group so as lo happy in cot I left him till about 7.20. Group till 10.50, straight home and in bed asleep by 11. Was not sure what to do re our naps so let him have 1 hr and woke him.
Reduced A to 2hr 45 but got a 40 min nap therefore awake at 3.20.
Aimed for 6.30pm bed but lo just playing in cot for last half hr and now crying!!!

What should I have done as we have  this group every Tuesday.

Seem to struggle to reduce A after short pm nap as think his body clock knows bedtime is 7/7.30!!!  How can u tell is your baby is LSN?

Thanks for the advice xx

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2014, 23:36:30 pm »
Hi hun, I can't really tell you what I would've done but from what you are saying I would not have woken him. There is no reason to wake them at this age. That was a long A time before a nap so what was your reasoning for waking him?  Basically he was OT for his second napt and for BT which resulted in the crying at BT. No worries tomorrow is another day.

**Siobhan**

Offline gb18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2014, 14:23:52 pm »
Ok, will def not wake next. I woke because I wanted to try and make sure I had time to fit in pm nap and have good length day.
I ALWAYS wake from morning nap as otherwise he sleeps longer than 1.5 hrs. Should I not?

Also today only managed 40 min pm nap with 3hr 15min A after I woke him from 1.5 he nap this morning.
Used to always be able to get 2 1.5 hr naps recently. I will shorten A as I did yesterday but lo still had 3hr 50 min A pre bed yest and did not sleep despite being in bed at 3 hr A!!!

Do u think I am doing something wrong?

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2014, 15:15:50 pm »
That's up to you. I wouldn't wake before 1.5hrs though as at this age that's a full 2 length sleep cycle. You only shorten the A after  short nap. I wouldn't shorten the A after a 1.5hr nap. Can you post your day in EAS format sorry it's just easier to read.
The rule of thumb I go by is

A nap under 45min is usually and OT nap. Anything 45-1.25 is probably and UT nap and anything 1.5 and over is a good nap for this age.  When you cap them obliviously that's different.

**Siobhan**

Offline gb18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2014, 14:52:23 pm »
Hi. Sorry not been in touch, had a really good run of things so been feeling very positive!

Think lo may have been ot from early starts etc but all been on track since.

My problem is I still struggle at times to get a good pm nap. Easy yest was

Wu 7 milk 7oz
Solid 8.15
S 9.40 ( as seemed v. Tired) - 11.10 ( woke by himself) I normally aim for 3hr to 3.15 A
Solids 12.30
S 2.20 - 3.00, cried, settled for 10 mins, cried, settled again until 3.20
( offered milk pre nap but refused)
Solids 5
Aimed for ebt but upset and crying
Sleep by 6.50pm

Wu 4am -5.15am ended up giving 4oz bottle.  Lo is teething so also gave calpol.

It seems like lo often resists pm nap. The day before he totally refused to nap in pushchair despite my best attempts so had horrendous bedtime as super ot.

He now always cries at nap time, even with shorter A but with longer A my days can get very long if had decent wake up. Don't like him crying and it soon turns to a whinge not crying but I can't stay with him as he would never sleep! He has no significant separation anxiety during the day.

I normally aim for around 3 hr A in the morning and 3hr 15 pm or a bit longer. Morning nap is pretty much always successful and I often have to wake at 1.5 hr.

Only a little problem really about the nap as nw and we has been massively improved thanks to all your advice!! Hoping the last 2 nw r just due to teething

Offline gb18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2014, 14:59:19 pm »
Forgot to put today's easy!!

Wu 7.45 ( after long nw)
S 10.40 - 12.15 ( I woke)
A 12.15 -3.30 ( aimed for 3.15)
Woke after 20 mins!! Can't think that lo is ot tired tho as not a hugely lengthy A, he has tolerated longer before.
His ut naps r normally 40 mins tho

Any thoughts?

Offline gb18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2014, 18:27:20 pm »
Sorry to keep randomly adding messages!! Just finishing today's easy.
Aimed for ebt again but lo just crawling around cot, happy not sleeping and now crying in cot and has been 3 1/2 hr A on 20 min nap!! Too long I know but what can I do? He is perfectly capable of getting himself to sleep, has no props and was in bed before 3 hr A today.

Sorry again for all the messages today. Hope they make sense xx

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2014, 00:19:09 am »
Just an fyi if you go back you can modify your original message and just add to it. Might make it easier.  :) on a 20min nap I would not have done more than a 2-2.5hr A max. Most likely was OT by BT hence the manic crawling around etc.

Have you tried no capping the morning A and letting him go to 2hrs? Just wondering. Also maybe push that AM morning time a bit to closer to 3hrs 15min? Some lo's like a longer A in the am and shorter A in the pm my lo is like that. He'll do 6-7hrs in the am but 4-5 in the pm before bed.

**Siobhan**

Offline gb18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2014, 07:13:24 am »
Hi. I have not tried not capping morning nap but in the past I have tried not capping pm nap and this resulted in night waking ( he had slept thro the previous 8 days) so nervous to try that. Also pm nap used to be my easiest nap to get so this has only been a recent change. If I am honest I feel like lo is not tired enough at times in the afternoon. Could that be the case? Just worried to fiddle with my amazing  morning nap but for nursery and my lo I think his afternoon nap is most important to be long.

If nw and crying at nap time is an element of seperation anxiety how do I help this?
I am not sure re awake times. In the past lo has had longer and shorter A time in the pm but both resulted in nw!!! When he was sttn recently he managed on about 3.5hr is and orobably a bit less in the mornings.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Good to hear oeoples ideas.

Do u think it is too early to cap morning nap? Going away in a few days so not changing anything until after that as hugely stressed that I am not going to get any naps!!

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2014, 22:57:34 pm »
I wouldn't do anything until you get back honestly as being away will just change your routine anyway. Hope you have a good trip.

**Siobhan**