Author Topic: Weaning and age  (Read 1641 times)

Offline amb72

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: April 07, 2014, 05:32:41 am »
My daughter is 22 weeks old on Wednesday.  When do I start to wean her.  She was delivered 2 weeks early so, at what age do l introduce food/purée ?

Kind regards

Anne Marie

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Weaning and age
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 07:34:18 am »
The guidance in the UK (I think US too) is to begin at 6 months, LO should be able to sit up unaided and be showing an interest in your food.  It's not a problem if your LO starts a bit later or doesn't take much in the early days as food before 1yo is for exploring tastes and textures, milk remains the primary food until 1yo and is far more important for your baby.
Have you heard of BLW (baby led weaning)? This is where baby self feeds (usually batons of food large enough to grasp), it's a great way to introduce solids and baby goes at their own pace so you always know it's the right time. Whichever method you choose there is no hurry to start solids, waiting another month would be fine and even then she might not be overly interested.
I actually gave in and gave my LO solids (BLW) at 5.5months as he was screaming so badly for it every time he saw food. He was 13 days over when born so in my mind he'd reached '6 months' anyway.

Offline amb72

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 10:16:38 am »
Sound advice, thank you for taking the time to help me.  I've heard of baby led weaning but am concerned by the chocking possibility without having taken a First Aid Course.  Thought I would purée first and build up to lumpy food then chunks.

Thank you again for your advice, much appreciated

Warm wishes

Anne Marie

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 16:49:31 pm »
Great idea to take a first aid course. Can I just say though, babies can choke on puree too.  There are many who believe there is less risk of choking with BLW because LO controls what does and does not go in their mouth, is not surprised by anything and has greater control of what is in their mouth when then put t there themselves.

If you choose to traditionally wean with purees it is recommended to begin finger food alongside (or at a different meal) from 6 months old anyway.  It is a super rapid move from puree to mashed to lumps to regular family meals. The puree part lasting only about two weeks, not the months and months that many people think of when they think of baby food. In the past babies had soft puree foods for a long time because they were started much much earlier (which is no longer recommended).

Hope it goes well and you both enjoy it. I loved our weaning journey.

Offline amb72

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 04:18:33 am »
Ooo I had no idea about how long the purée stage lasts.  Fabulous advice, Thank you.  It really is worth remembering that this should be fun and enjoyable. 

Thank you.

Offline larren

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 21:41:25 pm »
I plan to make DD baby food and there is a snippet on BLW that might be helpful

http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/babyledweaning.htm

Offline amb72

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 06:17:36 am »