Author Topic: habitual nw's in 4 month old :(  (Read 1719 times)

Offline writergirl

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Thank you!
habitual nw's in 4 month old :(
« on: April 05, 2014, 08:37:14 am »
how can we prevent our 4 month old twins from waking up every hour starting at 2am?

they wake up in the middle of the night at 2, 3, and 4. i get up, put their pacifier back in, and reswaddle if they've gotten out of it. they fall back asleep until the next hour. i feed at 4am because i don't know if they can make it til their 7am wake up time and because i need to get a block of sleep before the day begins.

here is yesterday's EASY for the boy twin: (we keep his twin sister on the same EASY as best we can)

e 740am  4.5oz
a
s 845-1115   (2.30hrs)

e 1135am  6.4oz
a
s 1245-230 (1.45hrs)

e 315pm  7oz
a
s 4-545  (1.45hrs)

e 630pm  4.5oz
a
s 712-1050  (3.37hrs)

e 1050pm dream feed  5.5oz
s 1115-353  (4.38hrs)

e 4am  5oz
s 435-759  (3.24hrs)

*** Jackie ***  mommy to boy/girl twins born 12/3/13

Offline writergirl

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Thank you!
Re: habitual nw's in 4 month old :(
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 11:26:32 am »
Goodness me! The babies went through the night without a bottle since their dream feed!!!   
I should have put up my question that I posted in the middle of the night ages ago! Maybe simply posting it up did the trick.

They still wake up in the night though. At 1, 2, and 3. It seems like if they can get past 4ish, they can make it til wake up time. I only have one night's worth of data, but hey it's something right?

All this tells me a few things. Let me know what you think please since I'm probably too close to this situation. First the babies can make it from 11pm to 7am without needing a bottle. Second the pacifier is a prop since they fall back asleep when I put it in. It may take a few times of putting it in and sshing but they fall asleep. Third the swaddle may be a prop. They can get their arms and/or hands out of it and this knocks paci out or distracts them some other way. I reswaddle them, put paci back in, and back to sleep they go.

Does it sound like it's ok to no feed them til their wu time?

Is it time for paci to go bye bye?

Bye bye to swaddle too?

Your advice is very much appreciated.

Offline Sarah - Enfys' Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 76
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 17:54:33 pm »
Wow it's great they made it through without feeding. Hopefully it won't be a one off ;) It may be they will keep it up but you will probably have nights they need feeding again.

It does sound like the paci is a prop :-/. The swaddle, maybe.  It's one of those things, if you could swaddle them tight enough, maybe they wouldn't jolt themselves awake.  Myself I'd experiment with a different swaddle blanket or maybe a double swaddle for a few nights and see if that helps. What do you think?

Offline writergirl

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Thank you!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 19:34:31 pm »
Sarah - good tips! I'll look into other sleep sack options. Currently, we're experimenting with leaving one arm out of the swaddle we are using. Thank you!

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 19:45:49 pm »
Good luck ;) and let us know how you get on

Offline lalasmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 07:50:43 am »
Sounds like the 4month regression.

Offline writergirl

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Thank you!
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 00:06:07 am »
Ugh. The four month regression has become the fifth month regression. The twins are waking up multiple times through the night. I'm up every hour from 1am-6am. :(
If it's not one twin it's the other. Every time it's because the paci fell out. We are gonna sleep train soon because this can't keep going as it is. It's not good for babies because they're not getting a solid stretch of quality sleep and it's not good for this mommy.

My boy had surgery about three weeks ago. He's doing great now. Back to normal I'd say. His twin sis went to grandma's. ever since they came home their night sleep has been horrendous. I'm frustrated and it's taking a toll. I can feel it. I just wanted to update this post with the latest. Thanks.

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 17:50:53 pm »
I'm sorry you're still having a hard time. I guess it's time to wean those pacis. :(. When you're ready, and they're well. :-*

Offline sarah_london

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 18:33:54 pm »
I just wanted to encourage you! I had to wean ds1 off his paci at 5 months for similar reasons. You can check out the gradual method on the prop board. It really worked for me. Good luck!