Author Topic: Help needed to get poorly baby asleep  (Read 1133 times)

Offline SGooch

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help needed to get poorly baby asleep
« on: April 06, 2014, 16:25:15 pm »
 My 10 mo dd has got viral bronchilitus (again) :(. It is only 3 weeks since her last episode which involved 3 nights of broken sleep due to coughing followed by 4 nights of hardly any sleep and a complete meltdown due to ot (every time she tired to get to sleep she would cough/get blocked nose and wake herself up - with me holding her upright).

Looking for advice on how to help her sleep please.  Currently using/have tried; paracetamol and ibuprofen, menthol vaporiser, cup of water on radiator, prop up head end of cot, menthol rub on chest and feet.

My oh works away and I also have a 4 1/2 yo dd to try and make sure not to wake up.  I spent 4 nights last time holding her up in her nursing chair to try and get her to sleep, which resulted in a very tired baby and an even more tired mummy!  Don't think I can do it again!

Please help me, help her to sleep.....
Sarah

Mummy to Dd1 Sadie spirited/text book 5/8/2009
Dd2 Darcy spirited/textbook 24/5/2013
Dd3 Maddie my precious angel 27/11/2011

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: Help needed to get poorly baby asleep
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 09:38:41 am »
Hi hun... sorry to hear your LO is unwell :(

To be honest, whenever my girls were sick, I resorted to whatever worked at the time to help them sleep... Is she on any medication? If her nose is blocked, have you tried nasal spray to help clear her nose? I would also do the menthol rub on chest, vaporiser and elevate mattress. If holding her to sleep is the only thing that works... are you able to take turns with DH?

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline 4isstillnighttime

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 10:24:50 am »
I'm in no position to give advice on sleep...but my friend's baby has asthma and she sometimes sleeps in a baby bjorn bouncer.  Would something like that help your baby? You could check with your health visitor if it's ok....

Offline SGooch

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 09:10:25 am »
Thanks for your replies.  Lo is starting to get better now after 4 nights of broken sleep.  I guess there's no magic cure :(
Sarah

Mummy to Dd1 Sadie spirited/text book 5/8/2009
Dd2 Darcy spirited/textbook 24/5/2013
Dd3 Maddie my precious angel 27/11/2011