Author Topic: Age to swap solids for bottle?  (Read 1672 times)

Offline Green007

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 09, 2014, 18:14:46 pm »
At what age do you normally start swapping solids for bottles? My daughter wakes around noon...she's a week shy of 10 months. I usually give her a bottle when she gets up then solids an hour and a half later. When should I start to switch these ??

Offline <Catherine>

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 149
Re: Age to swap solids for bottle?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 10:24:50 am »
What sort of feeding routine is she currently on? Is she having 4 bottles a day? I dropped to 3 (although still having one at night too) at about 9 months.

My 10 month old is feeding as follows:-

WU 7am
8am Bottle
9/9.30am Solid breakfast
Nap 10.30/11am
12.30/1pm Solid lunch
3.30pm ish Bottle
Nap 4pm ish
5.30/6pm Solid dinner
7.30pm Bottle
BT 8pm
Catherine x

Offline Green007

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 13:12:02 pm »
We are STILL on 5! At 10 months old (in 9 days) phasing out the DF now. This is my second child, but you'd never know it. They are so different and I truly feel like I have no idea what I'm doing :( Her schedule is all over the place as I can't seem to nail down her pm nap. But a rough version is as follows...

Awake @ 6-6:30
6 oz bottle @ 7:00
Solids @ 8/8:30
Nap @ 9:30
6 oz bottle @ 11:30
Solid lunch @ 1:00
Nap @ 2 ish (naps usually 40-45 mins)
6 oz bottle @ 4
Supper @ 5:30 (only "eats" finger foods usually-crackers, Puffs, Nutri-O's)
5-6 oz bottle after bath and bed 6:30-7

DF @ 10:30 (having last bottle tonight)

She's getting around 28-30 oz of milk per day. Not overly interested in solids-but I suppose that's why. Still on purees aside from the Nutri-O's and crackers (although most of it does not end up in her mouth)
She has reflux and a STRONG gag reflex and gags and throws up when I even add half a grain of rice to a spoonful of avocado. So, we are movng slowly with the finger food.

* I originally dropped her DF 2 weeks ago but 4 days after I did she started EW...so I panicked and reinstated the DF.

This looks like a 6 month old schedule. I have to get my act together here and start shifting things around. I've been so obsessed with the short naps, night wakings and EW's that I haven't noticed how "baby-ish" her feeding schedule is.

Offline <Catherine>

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 149
Re: Age to swap solids for bottle?
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 13:35:18 pm »
This looks like a 6 month old schedule. I have to get my act together here and start shifting things around. I've been so obsessed with the short naps, night wakings and EW's that I haven't noticed how "baby-ish" her feeding schedule is.
Not at all. We were doing just the same at 9 months, only we didn't have a DF but a NF (which we'd only just got down from 2 or 3 NFs!!). And each of our bottles were 6-7oz (4, plus 1 NF), and are now 7-8oz (3, plus 1 NF). So we were pretty much the same as you. My DS would also take more of a snack at one of his three meals, and still does sometimes.

She's getting around 28-30 oz of milk per day. Not overly interested in solids-but I suppose that's why. Still on purees aside from the Nutri-O's and crackers (although most of it does not end up in her mouth)She has reflux and a STRONG gag reflex and gags and throws up when I even add half a grain of rice to a spoonful of avocado. So, we are movng slowly with the finger food.
This is all good. Just take it slowly, she'll get there. Milk is her main nutritional source until 12mos, and that's all that really matters. Solids at this age are just for exploring tastes and textures.

You can drop a bottle like we did (I felt like we were just feeding all day long!), her solid intake will probably go up, which is fine, but just ensure that you cut back on the solids if they start to impact on her milk intake. I *think* the recommended amount of milk is a minimum of 20ozs in 24hrs.

And I'm on my second too and I've felt all along as though I have no clue what I'm doing!  ::)
Catherine x