Author Topic: 8.5 month twins, night waking and early morning waking,  (Read 26678 times)

Offline 4isstillnighttime

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
Re: 8.5 month twins, night waking and early morning waking,
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2014, 09:05:44 am »
Well, they went down easily enough. I resettled C at 30 mins but Z is awake and not settling. She can tolerate it better though so I'll plough on!

Medi is a lovely name!!

Offline Sarah - Enfys' Mum

• Showing Appreciation 76
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2014, 11:36:16 am »
It will take a few days probably for them to settle. I can't imagine two!  I know they say to keep them on the same routine where possible but it sounds like c is more sensitive.

Medi means September in Welsh.

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2014, 13:19:57 pm »
She is!! Poor little cupcake.

Thanks for all the help. I'll give it a few days and see how we go.

The other problem we have is that both of them struggle to do more than 3 h between last nap and bed. Is that ok at this age? They are 8.5 months....

Offline Sarah - Enfys' Mum

• Showing Appreciation 76
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2014, 14:36:01 pm »
I don't think that's a problem as long as they're settling ok at bedtime.

Good luck.

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2014, 14:52:48 pm »
Just wanted to add some more support and back up Sarah's fab advice. It must be really hard when others are pushing you to CIO, but you know your LOs and we will be here to help you to be strong. (((Hugs))) keep going mama!
~ Naomi ~

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2014, 09:31:08 am »
Thanks everyone. Feels much better having a plan!

Yesterday they napped 9:30-10(z) 10:30 (c) and 2-4 (z woke up at 2:30 but resettled with shh pat, c woke up at 3:30 so I got her up but she fell asleep feeding!! They went to bed pretty easily - in bed at 7 and asleep at about 7:15 with me sitting by the door and shhing. However, the night was abysmal - c up every hour except 12-2, then awake 4-5, then up for the day at 5:45. Z up quite a bit too and wouldn't settle after 5. I've kept them up til 9:30 for their first nap (v messy) and will wake after an hour but should I have capped that afternoon nap at 1.5 hours? Or should I just let them sleep it out then?

Thanks again!

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2014, 20:01:35 pm »
Gah, well today we had a nap 9:30 til 10:30 but then 2:30-4 and bed at 7ish. Nights have been getting worse if anything. Losing my will....please hold my hand!

Offline babybarr

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2014, 20:30:55 pm »
Hand holding.
LAURA xx

Offline louis-mummy

• Showing Appreciation 22
  • Louis - the bestest (and now a school) boy!
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2014, 21:55:25 pm »
Hand holding

Not had twins but 2 boys who have been very difficult sleepers, honestly can say that it's such a tough thing to get through but it does get better and seeing them get into bed happily and sleep all night - it's amazing! You can do it!
Laura

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2014, 07:12:11 am »
It's getting worse. 4:30 this morning. They are grumpy already and it's only 8....feels a long time til half 9!!

C screamed for half an hour between 5 and 5:30 too - a really tired cry but wouldn't settle. Can't have been hunger or pain as as soon as lights went on they were fine. Also between half 4 and 5 was really happy and chatty!

Do I still persevere?

And thanks for the hand holding!

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2014, 09:16:24 am »
Am I right that you're offering solids first thing in the morning, but no BF first? The number of milk feeds you are offering seems about right for this age, but I just wonder whether they're taking less as they're having solids first. It might be that there is some hunger in the morning. Bear in mind that until one solids are just for fun, and LOs get most of their nutritional support from milk in whatever form that comes. How long has it been since you have offered milk feed first in the morning and offered solids after? Are you doing BLW or traditional weaning with purees?

Is it quite a large meal of solids before the milk feed before BT?

Have you looked into whether C is possibly still uncomfortable from her reflux? How long ago was it she came off her medication and what was she taking previously?

Sorry to ask so many questions, I just want to make sure we have a full picture and don't suggest things that may not work. Adding more (((hugs)))
~ Naomi ~

Offline babybarr

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2014, 09:32:08 am »
((((hugs)))) You'll have seen on my thread I've just put a milk feed back in, our night was marginally better. 

How late are they sleeping in the day and for how long?  I actually think that is part of our problem too. 
LAURA xx

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2014, 13:05:38 pm »
Oh god, thank you for replying!!!

I have wondered that about the feeds. The health visitor suggested solids before milk but tbh she is a little weird. The reason I put the milk feed after breakfast is because they aren't usually v hungry for a feed first thing as they've had 2 or 3 in the night. So last night I fed at 11 and 2. C woke up at 4:30 and if they wake less than 3 hours after last feed I try to resettle without feeding, esp as she wasn't really crying, just awake. And although she was awake til half 5 the hv said that when you are sleep training you have to be consistent or else the baby thinks she has to scream for an hour before she gets fed. Although I personally don't think babies are that clever or that manipulative, but I guess she has her reasons. Also I am really conflicted because I want to feed less so that when I go back to work it's not an awful shock, but I want to feed less at night as I think it's v confusing for them that sometimes I feed them and sometimes I don't.

Can I post yesterday's EASY exactly as it happened? Then maybe you can help.... We started weaning pure Annabel karmel because their weight was dropping and it was that or formula, which they won't take! But they got ill after about 2 weeks and I think because I kept persevering with food they got a bit traumatised by the whole thing and meals became a massive battle. Then my husband witnessed a meal (he had been away) and told me how ridiculous it was trying to shovel baby rice into crying babies - we gave up solids completely for 2 days then started BLW. Now they have finger foods for every meal, plus a weetabix between them for breakfast and sometimes they will be spoonfed something they particularly like at supper time - usually bolognaise, rice pudding or yoghurt! Although they like to do the spooning themselves quite often so not always everything goes in. But their weight is fine I think - they have chubbed up a bit and I have stopped taking them to be weighed so much.

Awake at 5ish. Shh patted until 5:45 then have up and got them up
Had had a BF at about 4 I think.

Breakfast - 1 weetabix and one crumpet between them. A bit of banana but they didn't really eat it, mostly in each other's hair
BF at 8
Nap 9:30-10:30 (so about 3:45 out of bed, prob awake maybe up to 4:30?)

Awake and playing til 12:30
Lunch - Philadelphia sandwich, pear, banana, yoghurt, piece of cheese, tomato
Nap 2:30-4 (so awake time was 4 hours)

Bf 4:00
Played til 5:15
Supper - omelette, veg, rice pudding. Ate quite a lot
Bath 6:30
BF 7:00

C awake at 10, resettled really easily.
Both awake 11:30, fed and back to sleep. Both awake 2:30, fed and back to sleep.
C awake 4:30, initially happy awake, then screamed from 5-5:30, maybe 10 mins sleep then up for day.

I tried to drop a feed yesterday so that when I'm back at work they would only be missing one feed - was thinking I could feed at 8, 5, 7 and 10pm. I think I have found a formula they may take though so maybe I should try that. TBH I would happily feed 3x in the night if they would go back to sleep, HV said at this age they shouldn't feed at night and that their sleep would improve if I stopped, so I have been giving short feeds and only feeding twice a night. It all really goes agains what I think I should be doing though.

Gah. If you've read this you are a hero. I'm just getting so sad about it, we are all so tired and miserable, my boobs hurt and I feel like a rotten mummy. I don't want to go back to work at all, I don't want to stop BFing, I don't want to give them formula. But I have to do all of these things and it's breaking my heart, esp as I'm so tired all the time. Pathetic!

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2014, 13:09:53 pm »
Oh, and C was on ranitidine until about 6 months old, then I started forgetting it and it didn't seem to make much difference. She was dairy free until about 7 months then I retried dairy and it didn't make any difference either (when she was little if I had any milk it would trigger days of screaming!). They do vomit a lot but don't seem uncomfy with it. I'm taking her to GP on Wednesday anyway though so will ask then.

Thank you, and sorry. My hormones are all over the place and this has become my place to vent. It feels v safe here, it's a lovely thing!

Offline babybarr

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2014, 15:27:04 pm »
Vent away you need to!

How were they in their awake time of 4hrs?  Esp after an hour nap?

gotta go back later!"
LAURA xx