Author Topic: 8.5 month twins, night waking and early morning waking,  (Read 26705 times)

Offline Uglybethy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 12
  • First time mummy to twin girls.
Re: 8.5 month twins, night waking and early morning waking,
« Reply #120 on: May 01, 2014, 16:10:35 pm »
Great napping girls (but not quite great enough so that you can actually rest yet :(, though that time will come).
Keeping everything crossed for a reasonable night for you tonight.
X

Offline 4isstillnighttime

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #121 on: May 02, 2014, 04:39:27 am »
Oh god. They have broken me.

They had 2 h yesterday afternoon, then a 4hA and asleep by 7.15. Went to sleep completely independently of me. Both full of meds
C: one cry and re plugged herself at 9:30 and 10:30. Woke up at 12:30 really crying hard. I re plugged her (she was fighting me) and rubbed her back and she went back to sleep. Fed and meds at 1:15. So far, so good. But....she woke at 4 and I haven't really been able to resettle her. I've been pretty much rubbing her back continuously since then....if I stop she wakes up, and even with continuous rubbing she woke up every 10 mins. Now it's 5:30 and they are both awake.

What should I do with these early wake ups? The trouble is if she wakes Z then I am lost as they will both stay awake. But if anything it's getting earlier. I can cope with 5, just......but 4???????? It's just getting earlier and earlier.

My blackout blinds haven't arrived, but at 4 it's still dark in there, and there are v thick curtains.

« Reply #122 on: May 02, 2014, 05:16:09 am »
I don't know what I am doing wrong. We've been trying to st since they were 5 months old (with no cry sleep solution, but still.) all my NCT friends feed or cuddle to sleep at bedtime and their babies sleep 13 hours and wake up with a smile on their faces, then play in their cots until it's convenient for their well-rested, well-groomed mothers to collect them.

I let them cry in their cots for 5 mins while I had a shower as I'm seeing a friend today I haven't seen for months. When I told her I was pregnant with twins she commiserated, I'm damned if I won't look absolutely immaculate when I see her. And the babies too. Of course if she saw the house it would be game over!

Please insert the swear words of your choice. I wasn't sure if they were allowed on here, but they are definitely in my heart.

Offline babybarr

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #123 on: May 02, 2014, 06:13:23 am »
Right there with you today. Wish I could wave a wand for us both.
LAURA xx

Offline nippo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #124 on: May 02, 2014, 06:23:06 am »
Oh aren't babies a f@%£*#'% nightmare sometimes!!!

You are not doing anything wrong, believe me! I think the day I first came onto the forum was when I had only had 1 hours sleep while sleep training (and I was only doing 1 baby! My husband had the other). I had my first outing that day and I was seeing 2 old friends for the first time since having the babies and I had a shower - looked normal but burst into tears halfway through the coffee because I was so desperately tired and nothing had changed a month on! I was begging my friends for an answer to my question - when will it end! And they couldn't give me one.

But it will end, you are doing so brilliantly. It's gruelling doing it night and day. But you are getting somewhere, the crying is because they don't want change I think. You are giving them something different. Just keep the consistency and they will start to accept it...

One thing I did notice was that when they did sleep longer than an hour there was a definite change in them. They were chirpier. I realised they were sleep deprived too, they are just to little to understand it.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 09:08:42 am by nippo »
Mummy to two gorgeous twin girls

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #125 on: May 02, 2014, 08:11:49 am »
Hugs honey, I agree you are not doing anything wrong. Consistency is the key so hold strong mama. Xxx
~ Naomi ~

Offline babybarr

« Reply #126 on: May 02, 2014, 08:51:46 am »
Are your girls id?
LAURA xx

Offline Uglybethy

• BW Aficionado
« Reply #127 on: May 02, 2014, 12:44:18 pm »
More hugs sweetheart. It def sounds like teething, not ap or apop or anything you're doing.
Keep going. You're getting consistent and reliable naps out of them now, which weren't there a week ago. Trust us, the nights will follow suit...

« Reply #128 on: May 02, 2014, 13:35:04 pm »
They are non ID Laura....and like chalk and cheese!

Horrible naps today!!! Half an hour this morning and I have had a massive battle with c this afternoon - went down fine but then kept waking and crying even with her dummy. So I gave her some more calpol and she's finally gone back down, but I will try and keep her asleep by hook or by crook until she's had at least 90 minutes, and if she doesn't do 2 hours I'll bring bedtime forward half an hour. And tomorrow I'll give her calpol and ibuprofen at lunchtime! Teeth 3 and 4 are just cutting and I think I can see number 5 rearing up - that will be 5 teeth in 4 weeks!!

Offline Sarah - Enfys' Mum

• Showing Appreciation 76
« Reply #129 on: May 02, 2014, 17:08:59 pm »
Poor c :-*. No wonder she's having such a hard time. I find the Ashton and parsons teething powders good too. You can give them in addition to the pain killers.

Offline babybarr

« Reply #130 on: May 02, 2014, 18:38:16 pm »
Poor thing. Mine are non id and have v different personalities too. I think yours are girl versions of my boys!
LAURA xx

« Reply #131 on: May 02, 2014, 19:47:16 pm »
And I messed it up again - fell asleep beside their cots after putting c's dummy in for the millionth time and woke up....at 3:45! So Z had 2.5 hours straight and C 2.5 hours with resettling. So I tried to keep them up until 7:30 so they would have enough a time....and had a massively OT, screaming bedtime.

When they wake up at, say, 4 I always do anything then to get them back to sleep - feed, rock, shhh pat. Is that right? Otherwise they will start their day then. But for about 2 months now I've spent the first hour of my day leaning over their cots rubbing their backs. Is it too nice so they are in the habit of waking for it?

Offline Sarah - Enfys' Mum

• Showing Appreciation 76
« Reply #132 on: May 02, 2014, 20:39:42 pm »
Could be that's a resettling prop. Eg Medi very rarely needs help to fall asleep but for months would wake every three hours at night for food. She got so used to being fed every time she woke at night that was the only way she'd settle. But at 4 am it's soooooo hard and tbh I'd be tempted to apop too. Even though I know it would eventually come back to haunt me :(
I hope your night is ok- is your dh back now to give you a break?

Offline nippo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #133 on: May 02, 2014, 21:16:54 pm »
I guess rubbing their backs is not that different to patting their backs really. At some point you have to start removing the prop gradually. Not sure if you are at that point yet...

I think I got through one wake up at a time. So we got them to sleep until 4am and fed them at 4 and they would sleep until 7.30

What we did was get them through the 1am wake by shush patting, then when we knew that got them to sleep, we then started to withdraw. So no patting, just hand on back, then taking hand away when we could see them dropping off then just needing it to calm them and eventually walking out.

We tackled 4am much later....it just gave us time to actually sleep. Because the 1am wake would sometimes run into the 4am wake...
Mummy to two gorgeous twin girls

Offline Uglybethy

• BW Aficionado
« Reply #134 on: May 02, 2014, 23:17:23 pm »
We had a few weeks of 4am too.... When they needed more sleep but seemed too hungry to settle themselves back to sleep, but we knew if we fed them it would screw up the easy for the day. I actually posted on here about it and was advised to give just a couple of ounces of formula. I had my reservations that they would settle after that but they did. I would give say 2-3 ounces and then the rest of that feed when we woke them (reluctantly) for the day at 6.
Worth a try?

Oh and for what it's worth I don't think they are waking up for the back rubbing... Sleep is much more desirable for a tired baby than a back rub. There is a reason for the wake up (usually hunger or pain or habit)... The back rub is just a means of helping them back to sleep.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 23:24:30 pm by Uglybethy »