Author Topic: Inconsistent second A time?  (Read 2209 times)

Offline Green007

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 08, 2014, 01:43:07 am »
Anyone else experience inconsistent A times prior to the second nap? I'll put my daughter in bed 3h15-20 mins after her first nap (allowing her 10 mins to get to sleep) and on Tuesday I'll get 1h15 min nap, but on Weds I'll get a 30 min nap and on Thurs, I'll get a 50 min nap. What gives?? Her tired signs are non existent so it's a complete trial and error. Anyone else experience this or have any guidance?

Offline Mom-of-boys

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Re: Inconsistent second A time?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 02:34:32 am »
Well I have no advice for you but I'm following along because my DS2 does the same thing.  I give the exact same A time before his first nap and his second nap, but usually the first nap in the best and the second he often wakes up after 45 min.  Hopefully someone else has some good ideas :)

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 13:20:58 pm »
Sounds like an UT/OT loop to me.....can you post your whole EASY?  How old is LO?

Offline Green007

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 19:50:18 pm »
She's 10 months. Wake times are inconsistent ...as is bed time...and everything else for that matter.

Sample day.

Awake @ 6:30
Meds n wait 30 mins (Prevacid for reflux)
6-6.5 oz bottle @ 7:00
Breakfast @ 8:00. 2 tbsp cereal w/ serving of fruit.
Nap 9:30-9:40. 1h30 (working on extending A time here now, was doing 3 hours...just started 2 days ago with the 10 min bump). Will do 3h20 am A starting tmw or next day.

6 oz bottle 11:30
Lunch @ 1:00 ish . 1 serving fruit/1 serving veg and either a tbsp cereal or a meat. Sometimes an ounce of yogurt for dessert.
Nap (here's the issue) I've tried everything from putting her in her crib 2h45 mins to 3h30 min after waking and I get 40 mins or 30 mins (often 30 mins at the 3h30 mark). Sometimes I'll put her in at the same A time and will get 3-4 days of different nap lengths.
Bedtime is 3.5 hours after waking from last nap. (Just started this on advice I received here. Her A time before bed was 4hours).

Yesterday she had am A of 3h15/20 mins (put her in her crib after 3h10 mom A)

She napped 1h30. Woke on her own.
Put her in crib 3 hours after waking from am nap and got a 1h25 min nap.

Bedtime was 3.5 hours later. She slept through until 7am! First time in a long time without NW and/or EW. So I have no idea if she'll do it again today or it was just a complete fluke. Going to find out soon enough!

I've done some tweaking based on advice received here. So I am hoping beyond hope that it what has caused the good sleep in the last 24 hours and not fluke!!!

Offline Green007

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 22:00:05 pm »
This pm did exactly same as yesterday. Got 47 min nap. I can't figure this little girl out!

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 13:44:34 pm »
I know it's frustrating but honestly you're right where I and lots of other mums were at 10 months.  If she's getting a good night sleep (but I'm not sure how long that is from what you've posted) then one good nap and one shorter nap may be all she needs.  I rarely got two long naps in a day by that age - in fact we were already hitting pm nap refusals! 

If it's just the inconsistency that bothers you, then as hard as it is, I'd try to let it go.  Some babies just don't nap in a textbook 'same every day' kind of way.  I drove myself potty trying to figure it out and the best thing I did was look at DD and realise she was happy and developing just fine. 

That said, if you are struggling with more than just inconsistency ie significant night wakings or early wakings, then I'd suggest you keep track of wake and sleep times for 3-4 days and then post to see if there's something we can suggest.  Often it's not quite as simple as just sticking with the same A time with babies who take different length naps as for example you may need to shorten the following A time after a shorter nap or push her morning nap later after a particularly good nights sleep. 

The other possible option (and I don't know what personality your LO is) if she's fairly easy-going is to consider set nap times.  That may not bring you consistency in nap length but might help you if you are finding the A times a bit too much hard work.  What do you think?

Offline Green007

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 18:41:07 pm »
Thank u for the reply. She is easy going but not when it comes to naps and sleep.
Generally she sleeps 2h10-2h30 mins a day plus 10.5-11 hours at night. So approx 12.5-13 hours of sleep per 24 hour period.

She has absolutely no issues going to sleep, rarely cries. She sucks on her sleep sack and is asleep within 8-15 mins of putting her in her crib.

She woke again this am at 5:20 for a few squawks and was back to sleep until 6.

I'll post her 3 day schedule on Tuesday and maybe you could offer some or any advice since you've been in the same spot.

I know one option is to cap that morning nap but I'm so hesitant as that's the only nap I can bank on her sleeping 1.5 hours.

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm just hoping to get rid of these EW's between 5-5:30. A wake up time of anything 6:00 am and on is absolutely fine by me.

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 18:53:01 pm »
Will watch out for your reply.  We also stuck with the long am nap as I was too scared to cap so hope there's something I can offer.  Good luck for the next few days xx

Offline Green007

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 17:17:01 pm »
So, she slept 7-6:40 last night. Put her in her crib at 9:54. She napped 10:02-10:32. What time do I put her for her next nap??!

Offline Green007

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 20:26:27 pm »
Pût her in bed at 1:25. She napped 1:40-2:20.  Can't figure her out. What time does she go to bed tonight? I can't handle NW's and EW's anymore...I just can't. Why does she have to be sooooo difficult??!

Offline Green007

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 03:12:51 am »
Friday April 11

Sleep: no wake ups.

Awake @ 7 am!!!!!

Bottle 1: 6.5-7 oz
Breakfast @ 2 tbsp cereal with serving of pears. Crackers, Nutri-O's
Nap 1: put in crib at 10:10.
Napped 10:16-11:49     1h30 ish mins

Bottle 2: 6 oz
Lunch:  chicken/carrots
Nap: put in crib @ 2:48. Napped 3:00-3:47   47 mins

In bed at 7:05
Asleep @ 7:15

Sat April 12
Awake @ 6:40

Bottle:offered 7, drank 6
Breakfast: crackers. Not interested in cereal.
Nap: put in at 9:54. Napped 10-11:30. 1h30 mins Woke on own

Bottle: 6 oz @ 12:00
Lunch @ 1:30.
Nap. Put in crib @ 2:35. Napped 40 mins.

Bottle: 6 oz @ 4:00
Supper: not interested
Bath and bottle @ 6:45.

Bed @ 7:00

Sunday April 13

Sleep: up at 5:22. Fussed. Back to sleep.

Awake @ 6:00 am

Bottle @ 6:45 7 oz
Breakfast: 1 tbsp cereal with pear purée.
Nap: put in crib @ 9:27. Napped 9:35-11:00.

Bottle @ 11:30. 7 oz
Lunch @ 1:20
Nap. Put in crib @ 2:20.
Napped 2:30-3:10  40 mins

Bottle @ 4:00
Supper
Bath and bottle @ 6:30

Monday April 14

Awake @ 6:40
Sleep: no wake ups

Bottle @ 7:15. 7 oz
Breakfast @ 8:45.
Nap: put in crib @ 9:56 am. Napped 10:01-10:31 30 mins

Bottle @ 11:30 6 oz
Lunch @ 1:00 serving avocado. 1 serving carrots/apples.
Nap: put in crib at 1:22. Napped 40 mins. Up at 2:20.

Bottle @ 3:20
Supper:n/a
Bath and bottle @ 6:00

Asleep @ 6: 15

Tuesday April 15
* today was an anomaly.

Sleep: 6:15pm-5:45am   11.5 hours

Awake @ 5:45

Bottle @ 6:50 6 oz
Breakfast @ 8:15
Nap: put in crib at 8:55. Napped 9-11:00  2h00

Bottle @ 11:30
Lunch @ 1:35 serving avocado and chicken. Half serving green beans/peas.
Nap: put in crib at 2:20. Napped 2:33-3:33. 1h

Bottle @ 4   6 oz
Supper: finger foods:snacks
Bath and Bottle at 7:00

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. The EW's have stopped-somewhat. Maybe this "schedule" is indicative of her age? Thoughts? Advice? Insight?

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 12:21:30 pm »
I don't think you're doing anything wrong :-* your days really do look a lot like ours at that age and they're not that bad really.  Is it the fact you can't seem to get the 'magic' A time for a long pm nap that's really worrying you?  Or are you getting lots of NWs that you haven't recorded?  Just trying to get to the bottom of what the issue is here as (on paper at least) I think things look fairly typical for her age.  Just remember there are only so many hours she can sleep in a day, so if she gets 11+ at night she may well not need two long naps. 

You seem to consistently get a good first nap on around 3h10-20 A time which is great :)  The afternoon nap is usually short but to be honest it was for us too.  If you could gradually push your morning nap a touch later then it wouldn't really matter so much about having a short pm nap as 40 mins or so would probably be enough to get her to a reasonable BT.  What would you consider a reasonable start to the day?  If for example you're ok with 6.30am then you don't have the morning nap before 9.45am (ie 3h10-20 from ideal WU time) whatever time she wakes to prevent EWs.  And then you could nudge it later by 10-15 mins every few days/week or so until the am nap is more like 10.30-12/12.30 then a catnap in the afternoon around 3.30/4 should easily get you to BT.  Also makes it nicer as you can get out and about after lunch if your LO will nod off for a catnap in the car/stroller.

What do you think?

Offline Green007

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 13:12:10 pm »
Thank you so much for that. Yeah, I think it was the 30 min naps and the super early BT's that are getting to me. That, and I'd like a more "consistent" WU...like 7. I have a 3 year old and we like to go out n about in the evenings but when her BT is like 6-6:30...we barely finish dinner with zero time to go out anywhere. Yesterday she slept 2h40 in total naps...in bed at 7:05 and asleep by 7:20. WU @ 6:10.So, first nap will have to be 9:30. So, I'd really like that second nap to be capped @ 45 mins but when she wakes up at 11:00 from her first nap...40-45 mins to get her to a 7ish bedtime...just isn't reasonable. But, I'm just going to go with her flow as best I can I suppose. She clearly beats to her own drum. I REALLY need her to be on one nap by end of June. She'll be 12 months, I'll be going back to work soon and she'll be at the day home with her brother. But, I don't even know where to start because when I tried to push her A time from 3h20 to 3h30...she woke after 30.

But in answer to your question. Just looking to move that am nap, attain a more reasonable BT that fits with the family and get a WU closer to 7am...as opposed to 6.

Again, thanks so much for all your insight. I really appreciate it more than you know.

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 12:19:32 pm »
How are things going?

With the transition to one nap, although it often makes life easier from a work or other family commitment point of view, forcing the issue before LO is ready is likely to cause a lot of OT and more disturbed sleep.  Some babies will be ready for one nap by 12 months but 15 months is more of an average and many hold onto two naps until 18 months or so.  When you're back at work will it be five days a week?  And is there any reason LO can't have two naps at the day home?

Not wanting to change your mind if it's what you're set on, but I know at this age DD could easily handle 4h A time but didn't fully get to one nap until nearer 13 months.  Perhaps your LO would be able to aim for one 'main nap' but have a catnap on the way home and then two naps on days at home until she's really ready for one nap every day?

Offline Green007

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 02:20:13 am »
She's been sick so naps have been great. I am basically just following her lead...I'm done stressing myself out over this. I just have to deal with inconsistent schedules. Sometimes bedtime is 6 and sometimes it's 8. Sometimes wake up is 6 and sometimes it's 7. I can't set a BT and stick to it because that would mean somedays she'd be going to bed way OT and others UT. So, I am going with a 3.5h ish A time throughout the day and trying my best to facilitate her needs. That's all I can do. Thanks very much for your reply...she really needs naps and I'd rather let her lead the way as far as dropping to one nap goes. She's just such a head strong, stubborn, busy little girl!

I'll be going back working full day Tues and Thurs and half day Weds. I'd really like to have her long nap switched to the afternoon by then...but who knows...maybe I won't go back to work at all.

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 07:15:58 am »
Oh my I know about inconsistent schedules!!  You have my sympathy.  I've had to learn to roll with it too, though that's not my natural inclination.  Sorry she's ill, though the side effect of long naps is pretty great :)

I went back to work when DD was 13 months and she was pretty much transitioned to one nap by then.  I worked a similar pattern to you - Mon/Wed/Thurs.  On days she was at nursery there was a set nap of 11.30/45 so what we did was just set that as our naptime at home (regardless of wakeup) and then set BT at about 6pm to begin with.  Usually nap at nursery was really short, but we pushed on to 6pm unless it was a complete and utter disaster ie less than 30 mins.  At home we kept same naptime, never woke in morning (unless we had to) and she would take some huge 3h naps to catch up.  And still generally go down for the night by 6pm or just after.  Over time we were able to push normal BT to closer to 6.30pm, and then had to move nap a bit later at home from around 17/18 months. 

Offline Green007

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 20:15:32 pm »
Why did I not have issues like this with my son? He slept so well...he was on a 2,3,4 A time schedule...slept 8-7am and 2-4pm like clockwork. What causes some babies to be so easy going towards sleep and others not so much?

I capped her am nap this am to 40 mins and put her down this pm to see what she would do. Looks like she'll do the 1.5 hour nap...putting bedtime at 6:00. I wonder if I should continue to keep things this way? Or was it merely a fluke :S

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 08:04:58 am »
If I knew the answer to that I think I'd be one very rich mummy ;D

I think if today worked well I'd try sticking to the same pattern for a few days in a row so she can settle into it x