Author Topic: Any LOs skateboard?  (Read 1951 times)

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« on: April 09, 2014, 11:09:43 am »
LO1 is currently obsessed with it.  He'll be 4 in two weeks.  I'm wondering how far to go with it right now.  Can he start already? He's using his scooter to practice his skateboarding around the kitchen, standing side on, etc.  He loves to go watch the skateboarders in our local park, and they've sort of adopted him.  They gave him his skateboarder name yesterday!!!  ;D
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: Any LOs skateboard?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 11:18:51 am »
Gosh I don't know. Stan's friend is 6 and can ride a skateboard but he is seriously athletic, fastest runner in the school, was riding a two wheel bike at 4 etc. No way I'd let Stan yet, he'd land on his head within 5 minutes.

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 11:40:29 am »
Henry wants a skateboard and I might get one this summer (he is 5.5) He is very athletic, not particularly co-ordinated but can run and bike v well! Not sure what age they can start but I will be putting on knee pads and helmets for sure!!

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline weaver

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 12:19:45 pm »
Hmmm.  I wouldn't describe my guy as seriously athletic but he's very mobile in a dancing and climbing sort of way. His balance is very good, he's great on his balance bike and very good sideways on the scooter :)  Perhaps this would be good to encourage him in physical activity outdoors?
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 17:31:32 pm »
2yo skateboarding!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=RDjbDkTnDmzV0&v=jbDkTnDmzV0

No way would I put mine on one he can't even stand still without falling over :)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 17:35:56 pm »
Oh and Toys R Us have a couple of mini skateboards aged 3+ (rather than the other boards aged 6yo and 8yo etc) so perhaps there are quite a few 3 and 4 yo boarders. I know a little boy DS's age who would clearly be a natural, he was doing tricks on his scooter about a year ago, he can do anything physical and has no fear - total opposite to my DS!

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 19:51:39 pm »
My brother and I shared a skateboard as kids, not sure how old we were...my brother may have been 4 or 5 possibly  :-\

Offline weaver

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 20:02:29 pm »
The hilarious, and really positive thing, is that he has noticed that they fall off and *don't cry*, so he's been practising falling off his scooter (from sideways on) on purpose and then giving a wry laugh and wave of his hand, like a 16 yr old cool kid.  :D Today he bonked his head pretty hard off a garden chair and didn't turn a hair, it's bizarre!

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 20:44:43 pm »
I would let him go for it if he wants to - not quite the same, but my 2yo has been scooting for about 9 months whereas the girls didn't get it until they were about 3.5: I don't believe that their ability is fundamentally different, it's just that I put x on a scooter a year younger than the girls and therefore he can do it. I think that letting them explore their own limits is really important, and if it is something he really wants to do then he is likely to be good at it. And lol at him pretending to be all cool and 16!

Offline weaver

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 20:58:40 pm »
Clare, he wouldn't go on his scooter til at least age 3, whereas LO2 not yet 2 is gliding about on it already. You're right, it's all about what they are ready to do.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 21:41:13 pm »
My nephew has a kiddie skateboard but my boys can't stand on it. They like  me holding them and running alongside but it is completely me holding them up. That or they lie in it and just slide around.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011