Author Topic: 4 month old Feeding A Lot at Night  (Read 1922 times)

Offline kdawson

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 10, 2014, 15:23:22 pm »
My dd naps have improved a lot thanks to help on the EASY board!  I think she needs another shift in her A time and am currently working that out.  She doesn't show strong sleep cues so I am still not sure if she is OT or UT sometimes.  One of the biggest things I want to change is the amount of times she wakes up at night.

From 4 weeks she was doing between 7 to 9 hours between feeds at night and now she is going 3 to 5 hours between feeds at night so will get up mostly twice in the night but sometimes 3 times.  This has been happening for 2.5 weeks now and I know it isn't a growth spurt.  I don't think it is developmental either.  I wouldn't care so much if she had good feeds during the day but it's like her feeding schedule is on a 24 hour clock now.  She will take in more foods during a feed at night that any feed she has during the day.  Last night I started limiting the feeding with limited success.  I'll see if she feeds more today but so far she hasn't. 

I would really like some advice to change this pattern.  I typically get 2 to 3 hours of sleep at a time because of this.  Other than limiting how much she eats at night which is really difficult because I have a strong let down so I think she can easily take 4 ounces in 5 to 7 minutes.

Her routine right now is this on an ideal day but naps are usually 1 to 2 hours and goes 3.5 to 4 hrs between feeds:

8:00 wake
A - 1 hr 45 min
E - 8:30 (try to watch her cues for when she is hungry)
S - 9:45 to 11:15 sleep (I think this can be extended)
E - 11:30
A - approx. 2 hr
S - 1:15 to 3:00
E - 3:30
A - 2 hr 15 minutes
S - 5:15 to 5:50
E - 7:30
A - 2 plus hours
Sleep by 8:00
Wakes approx. twice in the night around midnight and 4:00am.

At night is where I am a little confused because it seems she can stay up for so long after her catnap.  Same as before, she starts crying when she knows I am trying to put her to sleep but I keep trying because I think she's got to be tired.  If she starts fussing as soon as I start the routine does this mean she's likely UT?  If so, she can stay awake for a long time!  Which is really nice:-)

« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 17:57:39 pm by creations »

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
Re: 4 month old Feeding A Lot at Night
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 18:30:39 pm »
She will take in more foods during a feed at night that any feed she has during the day.  Last night I started limiting the feeding with limited success.

Hi hun does she show any signs of reflux? Many lo's will feed better at night when it's quiet and relaxed especially if they have reflux. During the day are you feeding where it's quiet without a lot of distractions? As for the let down have you tried perhaps stimulating your breasts first before she latches on, or removing your breast as the letdown happens spraying it into a towel and then putting her back on so she gets more of the hindmilk? I wasn't able to BF due to my son's medical issues for too long but I do remember I had a terrible crazy letdown so that's what I did based on advice I got here and it seemed to work.

That first nap is 1.5hrs so that's a pretty good nap. Same with the second nap. Your EASY looks really good and honestly the 2 nw'ings you are getting are normal for this age and at 4hrs apart are very good.
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline kdawson

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 16:46:16 pm »
Hi Skadiver!  Thanks for getting back to me and I apologize for responding only now.  She doesn't have reflux and since more time has gone by I really think it is because she is so distracted to feed.  Although there are some day when I think she's fed enough during the day and still gets up twice a night.  It's funny how it switched from 1 to 2 night wakings so fast.  It was around the time I moved her from a 3 hr to 4 hr routine and not sure if that has anything to do with it. I really shouldn't complain since 2 night wakings is still good and she does sleep well during the day.  I think once she starts on solids it will make a big difference.  I think I will post in the Breastfeeding section to see if there are certain things that help with distraction because a dark and quiet room isn't working :-)  Thanks so much!!

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
Re: 4 month old Feeding A Lot at Night
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 18:29:36 pm »
Hi hun there is a GS at 4 months so it's not uncommon at all for lo's to go from one back to two night feedings. Def post on the other boards for some additional help. :)
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline dipz

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 09:21:28 am »
I feel we are sailing in the same boat. My almost 5 month does  not feed well during the day especially the first 7 am feed, sometimes will refuse it until 8.30 n then it is time for his nap and the whole eating pattern goes astray. i dreamfeed at 11 n he still wakes up at 3/4 am. My problem is not the night waking but his early morning refusal to feed.

I am also just trying to ride it out till solids are introduced. let me know if u have any success :)