Author Topic: How to teach LO not to split out the water from straw cup?  (Read 1319 times)

Offline yujai

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How to teach LO not to split out the water from straw cup?
« on: April 10, 2014, 20:45:11 pm »
My LO learns to use a straw cup in a day, but he will drink the first few sucks and split up the rest (I believe he is playing).  Most of the time, he probably only drink 1-2oz of water after meals.  Is this too little?

He has been on breastfeeding 6 times a day (morning, before and after 2 naps, bedtime) and 3 solid meals for since 9 months old.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: How to teach LO not to split out the water from straw cup?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 21:28:02 pm »
He's probably just experimenting with the straw and water but if you want to begin good table manners then just take it away as soon as he starts to spit.
It sounds like he has plenty of opportunity to stay hydrated with breastfeeding so I wouldn't worry about it. Mine only ever had small sips of water even when he dropped his milk feeds (when he was older). You can take into consideration how much liquid there is in his solids, many fruits provide a lot of water, as do purees, sauces, soups, so it can also depend on what he is eating.
The number of wees/wet nappies per day (6) will help to guide you as to whether he's had enough liquid.

Offline yujai

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: How to teach LO not to split out the water from straw cup?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 17:45:25 pm »
Thanks! He has been using straw cup for a couple months, but nothing got improved.  I guess I will have to take it away as soon as he spit.

He is somewhat fussy about eating since last weekend (The just turn one year old craziness!)
Not so interested in finger food and only have a few bites on each kind of food, especially not eating much fruits.  But he would eat anything that's put in broth.  I know it's not a good idea to drink and eat at the same time, but sometimes that's the only way that he will finish a meal.