Author Topic: 5+ night wakings, any suggestions please?  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Florena49

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 27
5+ night wakings, any suggestions please?
« on: April 11, 2014, 18:57:44 pm »

Im just tired, our naps are getting better, but our nights seem to get worse and i cant seem to figure it out.
Lo is 24 weeks, his day looks like this

7.15wu
8.45eat
10.30-12.10 3.15A
12.10 eat
3.35sleep- 4.45 3.15A
4.45 eat
7.45eat
7.50-8.30 3.05A difficulty to settle
9.15-asleep now

We get 5+ wakings and its killing me i cant figure it out.
We sleep trained at 4months and we had a week worth of fantastic nights only woke twice to feed, them he had an ear infection and put night never went back to brilliant.

Lo is breastfed i offer both breasts.

It varies how he wakes in the night, we dont get a stretch longer than 3 hourly, mostly je wakes 2 hourly or hourly! First part of the night he is easy to resettle with shush pat starting from 2 he is very difficult to resettle and will often need resettling on and off every 20 mins between 2-3am then very unsettled usually up at 5 i often feed him them just because im so exhausted.

He doesnt just suddenly wake crying i can hear him stirring and trying to settle himself but he cant and then gets upset.
I use shush pat to settle him, he doesnt have a lovey or any props, not swaddled. He falls asleep himself for naps and recently started sleeping through the 40 mins, but not at BT, we always get the first waking 40 minutes after bT.

Any suggestions are welcome anything less than 4 wakings per night is a dream at the moment.

Viktoria

Mum to Oskar 25/10/2013 and Maksim 19/07/2015

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 44
Re: 5+ night wakings, any suggestions please?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 18:26:08 pm »
Hi hun, sorry you are having such a rough go.  A few things. It looks like the second nap is shorter at 1hr 15 wihch could be an UT nap. Also that is a long A before BT after a shorter nap so I think you are getting an UT nap causing an OT waking shortly after BT. 

Second question, when he wakes in the night are you waiting for him to full on cry? Do you think you could be rushing in too early?  Also do you feed at any of the nw'ings?
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline Florena49

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 20:04:09 pm »
Thank you for taking the time to have a look, i feed him twice in the night, basicLly not earlier than 4 hours between feeds, because of so many night wakings i have no idea how long he can go without food.
90% of the time i leave him until its a proper cry and tbh it gets to a proper cry at every waking, somdtimes ill leave upto 10-15 mins he will be fussing, cranky and then it will escalate. When ive been up 7 times with him i get up as soon as i hear him stir, i just dont have the energy to deal with a screaming child.

Also second nap varies in length sometimes it is 1.30 min and then our day is incredibly long and BT is really late. I just want to get more than 2 hours sleep at a time, so any suggestions, ill try anything at this stage.

Sometimes when i start resettling him he starts crying even hardrer, almost inconsolable, other times i literally shust need to shush pat u few times
Viktoria

Offline Florena49

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 17:57:25 pm »
This was routine today

7.30 WU
7.45 eat
9.45 to up feed
10.45sleep-12.40 3.15A needed resettling at 40min and 1.20
12.45 eat
4.00-4.45 3.20A looked tired but couldn't settle, needed a bit of shush pat
5.00 eat
7 eat
7.20sleep-7.40
8.15 still asleep

I let him sleep for the first nap and it was a monster 1.55 minute nap which was great, but he had trouble settling for his second nap and woke at 45 minutes i tried to resettle he just screamed so i got him up, buti reckon he was still OT by BT because once again we had a random waling after 20 mins and difficulty settling finally settled after 30 mins or so.

I just cant figure out his naps and how would it work best so he isnt OT by BT maybe that will reduce the night wakings? Anything less than 7 times per night would be great really.

Viktoria

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 44
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 00:27:51 am »
Hi hun it said you had to resettle at the first nap twice but both times it worked? So that's good. Maybe he's getting used to the longer A times now? I'm thinking your second A time was too long? Not sure as EASY's are not really my forte. Average awake times are around 3 hrs.

For BT I would have tried to put him down around 7:45 given the shorter nap. On a short nap you want to lessen the A time after that nap.
Here are some sample routines

Sample EASY Routines from 0 - 13mths+
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**