Author Topic: EW has become NW...help needed  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Lyna

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 24, 2014, 07:50:58 am »
My 11.5 dd has always had an EW. We were trying to tackle it in different ways with success sometimes but often back to step one due to bad/short naps. Her Ew was often around 5 and I would do everything possible to settle her without much success. If I did not manage to settle her, I would try to leave her in her crib, in the dark and kept it quiet until 6. She was often ready to start the day and was ready to play, but still, I would try to wait until 6 before giving her the morning milk.

A couple of months ago, my mother was visiting and was giving us a hand. I told her to keep everything quiet and in the dark but I forgot to tell her to wait until 6 to give her the bottle, so she did everything I said except that she gave her the milk as soon as she woke up. The result was that she went straight back to sleep and woke up again at 7!!

So the first time it was an accident, but we kept the APOP since it was doing the trick. Unfortunately, as time passed, the EW started moving backwards and getting earlier and earlier. She would get the bottle and go back to sleep. But we now found ourselves in a situation in which she is waking up between 3 and 4 getting the APOP and then waking up to start the day at 5-5.30 anyway. We ended up creating a NF!!!

My mother is now gone so we are trying to get back on track. For a couple of nights she has woken up and we have patted and shhhed her back to sleep. I am pretty sure she is not hungry as she eats plenty of solids for dinner and gets a good bottle before BT. I suspect that she wants to suckle but she never sucked her finger. I have been thinking about introducing a paci as she is now old enough to control it (and get it back if she needs it). I was hoping to hear your opinions on the paci and if it is actually possible to introduce it at this stage and if there are any tips to do so.

Thank you very much in advance.

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: EW has become NW...help needed
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 10:33:44 am »
Hi Lyna,

I am sorry I don't have any btdt experience with introducing a paci at this age... with regards to feeding her back to sleep... could you reduce how much you're giving her over a couple of weeks and maybe offer water instead or water it down. The other thing you could do is just stop giving it to her and do wi/wo to settle her at night. What does her daytime routine look like? This is a tricky age as a lot of babies are in the 2-1 nap transition and if her morning nap is too early or too long in the morning, that could be reinforcing the early waking too!

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline Lyna

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 17:27:16 pm »
Her day looks roughly like this:

WU 5
S 9.30
WU 10.30
S 2.30
WU 3.15-3.30
BT 7

She has been having days with bad naps, both morning and afternoon (she gets an earlier BT in these days) but even if she is a bit OT she will go down easily at night.

Do you think she is ready for the 2-1?

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: EW has become NW...help needed
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 00:05:15 am »
Yes, I think she's in the transition period now...here's a link (if you haven't already seen it).. let me know if you have any questions

From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)

20/06/2012 - my angel baby