Author Topic: EASY for a 9 weeks old with short naps, help!  (Read 1400 times)

Offline Kwanmartin

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
EASY for a 9 weeks old with short naps, help!
« on: April 13, 2014, 08:01:29 am »
Hi!

DD is 9 weeks old. She naps for only 30-40 mins. during the day:(. Once she's awake, I can't get her to go back to sleep. And she wakes up early, too. At night she does good. I put her to bed at about 7.15-7.20. She will sleep until about 6.00 am. with a CF at 8,  DF at 10, NF at around 3-5 am. Last night was the first night that I skiped 8pm. CF, still DF at 10. And she woke up for feed at 6 am. I tried to put her back to sleep. And it looked like she tried, too. She kept going drowsy and then woke up again and again but wasn't able to fall asleep. Then she screamed. I picked her up. And she was happy talking and cooing. I haven't been able to put her down once she's awake at 6 or at any naps.

Our days has been like this:

April 10th:

6.06. Woke up and  E ( I'm breastfeeding. She nursed for 14 mins. When she's done, she's done. She won't take anymore.
6.30. A. I just talked to her and she would smile and talk back. ( this is where I feel like it's all worth it  :))
6.45. S. She was showing tired signs: yawning, rubbing her ears earlier. So I waddled her back up and do our wind down and put her to bed with a paci. Finally was asleep at this time.
7.00. woke up. Wouldn't go back to sleep. I tried shhh patting. But she screamed even louder. Finally just took her out, treated it as A time and she was happy cooing and smiling back when I talk to her.
8.15-9.00. S
9.00 once again woke up and wouldn't go down until feed time.

10.00. E for 10 mins
10.14-11.05. S. She fell asleep at breast.
12.00-1.28. A & S (we were out on the road on our way back home from grandma's house. She would fall asleep and wake up and sleep in her car seat. )

1.28-1.32. E for 4 mins
1.32-2.00. A
2.00-3.05. S ( with wake ups in between finally just doesn't want to sleep anymore.)
3.05-4.09. A

4.09-4.22. E  ( it took that long to get her to feed for 5 mins)
4.22-4.53. A
4.53-6.04. S

6.04-6.10. E ( sleep thru the feed) tried to wake her up but didn't happen. And I had to take care of DS1 with dinner and everything else.
6.10-7.01. S
7.01 bath time then BT
7.40. Fell asleep

8.31-8.38. E. ( I fed her late cause DS1 was having a hard time settling down for the night . We had a big storm for about an hour. It was really loud.)

10.20-10.28. E

3.06-3.27. E

April 11th:

6.23  Woke up
6.56. E  for 5 mins.
7.10  A.
7.37. S
8.21. Woke up.

8.35. E  for 5 mins.
9.32 - 10.20. S

10.22 E. 18 mins. ( she was falling asleep while feeding. That's why it takes longer than the usual 5 mins.)
10.30 A
11.36 - 1.00. S. With wake ups in between, but was able to get her to sleep by offering a paci and patting her chest. I for got to mention that She sleeps on her back.

1.14-1.25. E for 11 mins.
1.25. A
2.05. - 2.41. S.
2.41-3.08  A. I tried to put her back down but she wouldn't just scream and scream. So I decided to do I swaddle her and treat it like a short A time.
3.08-3.43. S

3.58-4.05. E  for 7 mins
4.05. A
4.49-5.18. S
5.18. A

6.08. E for 5 mins  ( first cluster feed)
7.00. Bath time then BT
7.49. Finally fell asleep
8.00  E for 8 mins ( 2 nd CF)

10.35 DF for 8 mins.

4.57  NF for 5 mins.

Yesterday:
7.00 WU & E for 4 mins.
7.05 Had some A time, diaper change, talking. She was fussing a bit, and I thouggt she didn't really take that much milk at 7. So I nursed her again
7.46. E for 5 mins.
7.55  I put her down. She's asleep at 8 .14.

DS1 just woke up from his nap. I will continue the post again when i have time. In the mean time,  suggestions and comments will be apreciated.
Thank you!

Offline Kwanmartin

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: EASY for a 9 weeks old with short naps, help!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 10:23:20 am »
8.52  A and tried to put her down but wasn't successful.

10.12 E for 7 mins
10.19 A
11.05 S 24 mins  once again tried to put her down but she just doesn"t want to.
11.50 A

(we had to out for DS1's play date )
12.57 E for 6 mins
1.03  A
1.33 S (in the car seat ) when she woke up I just hold her and walk around while keeping an eye on DS1. So she slept pretty good. As soon as I tried to put her in the car seat, she was awake again! This went on until we went home.

3.16 S 40mins
4.00 E for 5 mins
4.05 A
5.38 S ( I put her down earlier, but she's asleep at this time. )
6.06 E (Tried to wake her up but she wouldn't, so i just let her nurse. She only nurse for 7 mins. And was still asleep until 6.19. a total of 40 mins sleep.
6.19 A
7.00 Bath (she was extremely OT at this time.)
7.15 BT  Fussed for a while until
8.09 Asleep I decided not to feed her at 8, followed a suggestion that it might disturb her night sleep.

10.10 DF

Today

6.00 NF 4 mins. from last night but then she couldn't resettle like I said in the last post. I didn't know what to do, so i just kind of follow her sleepy cue.
6.40 S 30 mins ( it took no time at all for her to fall asleep and with out fussing.)
7.10 A

7.30 E  6 mins
7.36  A
7.56 S for 35 mins ( I tried turning on white noise from my phone, but she still woke up at 35 mins. Awhhh!)
8.31 A  ( It's Sunday. I got her ready for church hoping that she would fall asleep in the car seat. Guess what? She didn't.

10.12 E 9 mins
10.22 A still wouldn't sleep even though she was so tired.
11.12 S (in the car seat, in the church, DH had to rock the car seat the whole time. If he stopped, she woke up.) 57 mins
12.14 A

12.58 E 5 mins
1.03  A
1.53  S (at home in her little bed had no problem settling down) 33 mins. We tried to resettle her for more than an hour.  First in her bed. Then holding her and walking her. I told DH to walk her because I wanted to put this on the forum to get some help. She finally sleep on my shoulder at about 10 mins til feed time.

4.09 E ( I woke her up to feed) 5 mins
4.14 A just a diaper change
4.26 S

Please help us! I have the rest of this month to work with her naps and EW before going back to work next month. DS1 (22 months) is so clingy to me, too.  I think it's jealousy / separation anxiety. Not sure. Actually, he's got EW problem, too. I'm so tired . I really don't know what to do.  :'( Help, please!!

« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 10:29:11 am by Kwanmartin »

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 20:31:02 pm »
Hi there. It looks like your A time is a bit short. It can be confusing when they start yawning and showing sleepy signs so soon after waking but sometimes it can be from being well rested (confusing I know! Think about when you've had a good sleep but then feel dopey and yawning after getting up).  So, I would increase her first A time to 1hr 20 and try to still to 1hr 10 to 1hr 20 A time through the day.  Are you able to try a W2S when she is asleep for her first nap? I know it must be hard to dedicate that time when you have another LO to care for too. If you can use W2S for the first nap, do, go in at 25 mins if she usually wakes at 30 and begin shush/pat, continue for at least 20 mins until she is in deep sleep. Do this for 3 days, then day 4 observe. If she wakes try to resettle in your usual way, and continue W2S days 5,6,7 observe day 8. A few cycles might teach her to transition to the next sleep cycle.
If you are not able to W2S maybe try to extend the nap in a sling or stroller so you can also be with your other LO.  And don't worry too much about having all naps in the crib at home, you need to what's best for the whole family, and maybe that means sling/stroller so you can out and about with DS1, or at least play with him at home rather than spend all your time in the baby's room.
hth. See how you go for 3 days to a week and then post an update so we can see how things are.

Offline JBmommy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 00:06:49 am »
I am experiencing very similar with my 11-week old so would love to see how it goes for you.  Our only difference is that feeds are usually 10 mins and A time is usually 1hr20 - 1hr30.  We tried all weekend it extend her naps with a combination of httj and modified shy-patting (lots of crying!).  Tomorrow, I am going to try w2s and see how it goes.  Good luck!

Offline Kwanmartin

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 01:10:39 am »
Thank you creations!
I will try to extend her A time.
My question is, if she wakes up an hour early lie this morning, she woke up at 6. Tried to resettle her but have no luck at all.
How would I count A time?
And when should I put her down?
And when would I start the day?

JBmommy, good luck to you, too!

Offline creations

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 07:49:27 am »
If you try to resettle but she doesn't settle I would start out by counting the A from when she initially woke - although do make sure she gets a bit of A time up too. What i mean is, if you try to resettle for an hour because it's still 'night' then you run into WD time for the next nap (if it takes 20 min to WD to sleep) so this would result in you staying in the room and be kind of counter productive.  So, if she isn't settling at all just get her up, do some A (counted from waking), then WD in time for the nap.
Further along the line you might need to count the A from when she 'should' have woken rather than when she did wake, but that's harder work so I'd see if this way works first.
I would start the day no later than 7am, but it looks like you are generally starting before this due to the earlier wake up time.
hth

Offline Kwanmartin

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 09:14:35 am »
Thanks again creations!
Just to make sure i got it right. Lets say, if she woke up at 6 am. After trying to settle her down for 40  mins. If she doesn't go back to sleep. I should get her out of the room, may be change a diaper.  Then I'll go into the room at 7.10 for WD. Usually after A time it doesn't take a long time for her to fall asleep. As a result, her day strated at 6, when she wakes.
My question is:
If i was to feed her at 7. How should i fit this into the schedule.

BTW, EN is not my first language. If this is not what you mean, can you please show me in detail what will happen in this kind of senario?
Thank you.

Offline creations

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 18:35:32 pm »
It should be clear sooner than 40mins whether or not she is going to settle. If she is really trying to settle then keep going a bit longer, if not though I wouldn't continue that long. In any event you need to feed her when you get her up or as early as is needed for you to begin WD for the next nap. You can work this out based on the amount of time it usually takes her to eat.
Or, just feed her when she wakes, like a night feed, she may be hungry and may go back down again easily after. One of your EASYs show a night feed at 3.30am (roughly) and she woke at 6.30am (roughly), that's 3 hrs since last E so I would feed.
There's no problem you feeding her just before her nap either, just keep her awake and do a minute or 2 A time before putting her down so put a bit of A between E and S. It's only to avoid a feed to sleep habit.
hth

Offline Kwanmartin

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 03:01:51 am »
Yesterday and today. She started waking up at 2-3am and then again at 5-6 am to feed. After the 5-6 am feed she was awake. Didn't wat to back to sleep. She was sleeping 5-6 hourz at night before that.

Could this be growth spurt?
 Should i cluster feed her in the evening?
When should i stop cluster feeding?

I have been putting her down for BT at 7.00 pm. Should i move it to later. For EW?
I'm so sorry. I havegot  so many questions. We've been having rough days.  I'm so frustrated. And i feel like  here is the only place i can ask questions.

Here is what our EASY look like:
Yesterday
2.22am  NF (last DF was at 10)
5.20       NF After this feed she was awake. Cried when i tried to put her down. But when i pick her up and unswaddled her she was happy and talking to me.
7.00 she pooped. So  we got her diaper changed.
7.30  E
7.40 A really short one. With WD
8.05 S at 8.30 i tried shh patting her. Ended up waking her. She was unconsolable.  i keep on picking her up. Shh patting. For 20 mins. Finally just got her up. Once again she was happy.
9.00 WD 9.50 fell asleep fitfully.

10.00 E  had to wake her up.
10.08 A
11.10 WD  11.25  S  this time i wasn't able to go in at 25 mins. She was already awake. I tried shh pat again. When she cried really hard i picked her up and put her down when she's calm. I even walk her to get her to go back to sleep. Which i know is AP. This is whee i feel guilty. I know Tracy said not to do it. I don't want to start this habit. Am i thinking too much? When should i worry about AP?
12.35 S finally got her to sleep shh patting.

1.00 E
1.10 A
2.10 WD  2.20 S same thing happened. Couldn't get her to sleep for about an hour no matter what i did. Finally she was asleep with shh pat at 3.40.

4.00 E

she is up for her feed. I will post the rest later.

Offline creations

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 06:50:04 am »
Yes it could be a growth spurt, there are so many in the early days and I'm not up on when they all are.  You could post that question on a feeding board?

My advice is to give her first A time of 1hr 20, then 1hr 10 or 1hr 20 A time for the rest of the day and to use W2S to extend naps or to resettle using your usual method. APOP wherever needed to get some naps in.

The EASY you just posted shows a first A time of 2hrs 45 (5.20am - 8.05am) which is too long for her age.
To be honest it isn't going to help to post each days EASY, it is very time consuming for you and unlikely to change any advice because it takes days or a week to see the effects of a routine change.  Stick with it and try to get a bit of Y time or time with your other LO if you can.

Offline JBmommy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 16:34:36 pm »
Kwanmartin, any luck?

I have been settled my dd for a few weeks now with quite a lbit of success.  I go in at 35 mins and usually need to settle her for 20 to 25 mins (more on the bad days) but then she usually sleeps for another hour or so.  I mainly hold her firmly on her legs and tummy with a slight rubbing with one finger.  It works 80% of the time but is quite difficult (leaning into the crib for so long)

Unfortunately, we haven't seen any success with this improving her naps on her own and I am a bit worried that I have created a dependency.  Any ideas on how to get her used to doing this on her own.  She settles herself at the start of some naps and at night but not for the nap extension.

Here is a typical day:
6:30 - E (20 mins)
7:50 -settle (music, swaddled, close blinds)
8 - S
8:35 - go in to settle (hands on tummy and legs) until fully settled
10 - Feed
11:20 - settle
11:30 - S
12:05 - attempt to settle until 12:55 but no luck
1 - feed
2:20 - settle
2:30 - sleep
3:15 - awake
3:45 - feed
4:30 -catnap in car to get ds at daycare
5:15 - awake (sometimes give a top up between here and bath time)
6:30 - bath
7 - Feed and bed
10:30 - df
Usually sleeps until sometime between 4 and 6:30

Cheers
Melissa