Author Topic: art materials/activities??  (Read 6059 times)

Offline *Becky*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 255
art materials/activities??
« on: April 13, 2014, 18:28:59 pm »
I am looking to get some arty stuff for M for her bday and would appreciate any suggestions of what your lo's like and also any art storage that you like. Atm we only have out a pot with felt tips and another for crayons and some paper. I would like to give her a bit more choice as she really enjoys this type of thing.We do have a stamp set, play doh and sticker books but looking to have a bit more choice and would like to arrange it so more choice is out for her rather than me getting an activity out from time to time...

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline cuckoochick

• Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
Re: art materials/activities??
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 18:36:07 pm »
Charlotte loves foam stickers with peel off back or self-adhesive jewels like these:
http://www.yellowmoon.org.uk/princess-foam-stickers
She also has the farm animals and dinosaurs not just princesses! ;)

http://www.yellowmoon.org.uk/self-adhesive-acrylic-jewels

In terms if stickers C loves Melissa and Doug ones- the general ones and also these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004KPKWLS?pc_redir=1397270833&robot_redir=1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00AY42AB4/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1397414070&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

I also leave a petit stock and scossors in her pot and a run of tissue paper for collage.

Paint/PvA glue is away unless it's a supervised activity.

I'm thinking of buying C some stencils as I think she'd love them!

*Nicola*

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 18:44:29 pm »
I have got some simple watercolour block paints, and they are much less messy than getting out poster paints.  They have been a good buy, and I feel less like I need to 100% supervise while Ev is using them. 

http://theimaginationtree.com/2014/01/making-creative-arts-area-art-gallery-kids.html
This has got some good ideas for creating a little art area
Claire x

Offline 15milner

• Showing Appreciation 211
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 18:46:18 pm »

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 18:48:55 pm »
Following if I may?  I love the idea of creating more of a independent play arty area :).

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 18:49:54 pm »
I have bought some great stuff from Wilkinsons. They have a good range of packs of bits to stick, papers card glitter etc and some art kits that start about £1. Some will be too difficult for her but some aren't!

Laura

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 18:56:17 pm »
We have a small table in our kitchen just for art. Has a crayon caddy with crayons and colored pencils, plus scissors and glue sticks. We have a small cabinet net to it with drawers and baskets for watercolor paint sets, stamps, stickers, etc.  We buy cheap little canvases, and acrylic paints at 2 for $1, and those are out and visible too. And a little vase with paintbrushes in it. It's like there is a constant open invitation, and it makes her super happy!  On top of the shelf sits an art box and lots of paper. Her art box is something like this...

http://www.amazon.com/Darice-ArtyFacts-Portable-Studio-131-Piece/dp/B002NZJ4MU/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1397415245&sr=8-2&keywords=kids+art+supply

I find that with things OUT and accesible, she creates all the time, every day.  Love it.   :)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 21:05:37 pm »
I use a couple of little shopping baskets (like kid's play baskets but these were adult version intended for cleaning products I think, they are sturdier than many kid's ones but still small and cute), and a stack of small baskets (or tubs) so i can put a pile of stuff in them when needed.  A light weight tool box is great for keeping all sorts of art materials as they have different compartments but the whole thing is packed away easily, art students tend to use them too.
I have a set of A4 paper trays, stackable, like in-trays, great for keeping different sorts of paper and blank cards etc on each shelf, and a set of stackable plastic crate type things. Oh and lot sof those plastic tubs with lids like you get take away food in (£ shop or wilkos sell them too) which stack well and hold all sorts of pens, stickers etc.

stencils, shapes and letters
stampers, shapes and letters
oil pastels
various types of paint
various bits of stationary like little sets of highlighter pens, bingo dabbers (£ shop) and all sorts of cheap little cute stuff, we have pens which are felt pen at one end but a roller stamper the other end, they don't last super long but DS likes the 'difference' of all these things to experiment with. Also various little stampers which are again just cheap but again add to the wide range of 'stuff'.
I use adult art brushes, not expensive ones, but even so the quality is better than many kids brushes. You can usually get a set of hog hair brushes a the £ shop, and cut one or two down to make them more stubby for stippling through stencils etc.
I get blank cards with envelops from The Works, we always make cards for friends/family birthdays xmas etc.
A roll of backing paper (wall paper backing) is great for larger work, or a roll of brown paper.
Tissue
coloured paper
card
A2 heavy weight cartridge paper or water colour paper
coloured pastel paper is much nicer than sugar paper, although pricier.

Things to stick like mutli coloured feathers, buttons, lolly sticks, multipack of coloured drinking straws (100 from £ shop) - good for scissor practice too.
Hole punchers and shaped hole punchers are nice and you can stick all the little bits onto another paper.
Googly eyes - DS loves googly eyes!

TBH we have a ton of stuff and DS isn't all that interested, I have to set up a special project together for him to do anything but he can get very involved if I catch him at the right time with the right thing. Variety is key here!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 21:36:12 pm »
Quote (selected)

I find that with things OUT and accesible, she creates all the time, every day.  Love it.   :)

Same here, though with a pesky baby sister we are currently moving all the craft stuff into a big armoir downstairs (we have a ridiculous amount of craft stuff!) next to a 2nd hand full size table so projects can be spread out and left until completed.

At that age sticking was a huge hit (heck it still is!) as were stamps and finger painting (did not do that often ;)).
Heidi

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 06:48:07 am »
thanks...loads of good ideas here. Will try and put something together for her bday x

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 07:52:14 am »
Just quickly, will come back with links later - art stuff from crafty crocodiles is fab and cheap, so we can have a good selection.

We keep pens, scissors, glue, sellotape, lolly sticks etc in a rotating 'lazy susan' type thing from gltc and have the stacking paper boxes to go with it. Exactly as you said, I wanted him to be able to find stuff easily. So the top is paper, second is decopatch and the bottom is rather random!
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 11:44:54 am »
At that age DS loved painting pens.  So easy to use and no mess. they are like a pen that is a tube you press down and the paint comes right out the tip which is a built in brush.  LOVE these, no mess.  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crayola-5-Paint-Brush-Pens/dp/B000ZL0QQ2

Also, as much as glitter is fun, I never used just glitter, so messy (the herpes of the craft world  ;)) we still love and have been using since a young age, Glitter Glue Pens. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crayola-3-3542-9-Glitter-Glue/dp/B0006TXE4O/ref=sr_1_4?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1397821288&sr=1-4&keywords=glitter+glue+pens

and glitter crayons are fun: http://www.amazon.co.uk/16-Glitter-Wax-Crayons-Crayola/dp/B00178LYWC/ref=pd_sim_k_h_b_cs_5/278-4410389-3375031?ie=UTF8&refRID=0S61MN3EVMYHSSKAGYB2

I am a HUGE fan of Crayola as you can't beat their quality, value and most of all, TRULY WASHABLE!

So glad DS still does crafts and art.  Hope he never grows out of it.  Enjoy.

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 12:32:13 pm »
Hope you don't mind if I follow along too - lots of fabulous ideas here.
~ Naomi ~

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 12:42:35 pm »
Cadan got this for Christmas and loves it. It has beads, feathers, eyes, foam letters, flowers and shapes, jewels, glitter glue, tissue paper in various lengths and widths, pipe cleaners, coloured lolly sticks, various shaped- sequins and loads more. We've made loads out of it and there is still a ton left.
Cotton wool balls, glue, card, bright paper and stickers are a few bits we have added to it.
Gluing is Cadan's fave activity and has been for a while.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 14:03:16 pm »
Links:
Lazy Susan: http://www.gltc.co.uk/spinning-desk-organiser/desk-accessories/gltc/fcp-product/10002599

Argh, can't do them all at once on my phone! Will be back
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015