Author Topic: Can't get LO to take full feed  (Read 1735 times)

Offline spiritedmama

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 14, 2014, 03:06:10 am »
Hi, my DS is 4 months and is 50/50 breast and formula fed. When he takes the bottle he is grunting and straining trying to sit up and moving his head all around. It's hard to get a full feed into him. Ordinarily, I'd say he was playing and that he doesn't want it but he acts super hungry and desperate for it but then after a few seconds is mucking around. Anyone experienced this and know what the cause/solution is??

Offline Shdef

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 08:11:21 am »
Maybe he doesn't like the taste of formula? Have you tried expressing and then giving him more breastmilk in his bottle, then slowly change ratio?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Can't get LO to take full feed
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 08:28:52 am »
What flow teat do you have him on at the moment? If it's not the taste of the formula he could be finding the teats too slow so he gives up.

Laura

Offline spiritedmama

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 20:14:50 pm »
Milk seems to flow at the right rate, it drops out into his mouth but not too fast. He definitely likes the formula as occasionally he'll guzzle a bottle with no issues, but most of the time he's trying to sit up and moving about  - it could just be that he's incredibly distractable, he is spirited after all...just difficult to get him to take a proper feed on these occasions so I can't get him on a proper schedule. He's still demand fed really...

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Can't get LO to take full feed
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 17:42:00 pm »
Milk seems to flow at the right rate, it drops out into his mouth but not too fast.

That doesn't indicate the bottle teat is the right speed for him, all bottles drip but he may not be able to suck it out at a rate that suits him.

Try feeding him straight from his nap as soon as he wakes while still in a dim room. You will need to get the bottle ready for when he wakes and feed in his room.

Laura

Offline spiritedmama

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 21:02:38 pm »
Thanks Laura, but he catnaps and takes up to six very short naps a day so I can't  feed him after every one as sometimes he's only been asleep for 20 minutes!

I do appreciate the suggestion though.  :)