Author Topic: Should activity be LESS or MORE stimulating for SPIRITED babies?  (Read 3217 times)

Offline spiritedmama

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
I've read different advice about having a spirited LO -

1) Tire them out so they sleep better (he's a catnapper)

2) Low-key play so they don't get overstimulated.

Anyone out there with spirited babies know what's best - if anything?

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: Should activity be LESS or MORE stimulating for SPIRITED babies?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 21:01:27 pm »
My DS needed, and still does need, as much stimulation as you can throw at him. All children are different though, so maybe you can experiment and see how you go?

When teething, for example, he needed to be in a busy place to distract him from the pain. Even with meds!
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 21:03:18 pm »
Not all spiriteds are alike and it has varied with age but when my dd1 was a young baby I def had to keep things low key or she got os and really upset (she's also sensitive).  As she got older she could handle more and def needed interaction of some kind. now she just makes her own stimulation as much or as little as she wants!
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 21:41:05 pm »
We have a variety here...DD's 1 & 3 need loads of activity and to be worn out to sleep where DD2 needed more low key to keep from getting OS until she got used to a certain level of activity.
Heidi

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 06:47:39 am »
Mine are both spirited but different. DS needs lots of physical activity, loads in fact but does not like over stimulating places such as busy shopping centres, bowling alleys etc (although getting better) and DD loves those kind of places but gets tired much more easily and is not as physical...

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 14:47:41 pm »
Overstimulation is a little misunderstood, I find. For instance, baby lying on the floor, having one rattled toy after another shown can be quite overstimulating quite quickly. Babies learn best in a state of quiet observation, even when there is a LOT of hubbub. For instance, being in a wrap or buggy or bus in quite a loud environment is rarely overstimulating when there is motion.

So when baby is expected to do something, like smiling, laughing, playing with a toy, having sensory input, THAT can be OS after a wee while (though both mine could do that for ages).

When NOT expected to do something, but being on the move, baby will not be overstimulated.

The womb is VERY loud and baby moves in there all the time. After coming out and for the first six months or so, that stillness is extremely disconcerting for babies, hence the invention of wraps, rock and plays, white noise, vibrating bouncy chairs, taking babies for long car- or bus rides, etc. Sometimes, we think a baby is OS, when in fact, baby is EXTREMELY bored and hasn't been juggled around enough.

Offline snowbird

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 19:42:41 pm »
Have you read How to Raise your Spirited Child? Reading it at the mo and love it. Really gets you to look at your child and how they are spirited and strategies for that child xxx