Author Topic: 2yo just doesn't seem to want to eat  (Read 7330 times)

Offline delancepants

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: April 16, 2014, 14:53:28 pm »
Hi, DS2 is just 2yo.  Since he was 1 he's been a really fussy eater and it seems like his appetite is really small.  He is not skinny, he looks a very healthy weight, but he's not very tall, so he's the average height and weight of about 18mo.  This in itself doesn't worry me, as his father is from an area of India where everyone is very small.  Neither am I worried about what to feed him, at this stage I've figured out a basic range of foods that fulfill most of his dietary requirements.  The problem is just getting him to eat at all!! 

He seems to have a general pattern of not wanting to eat during the day, he'd rather eat at night.  My theory is that during the day, he'll have a small snack that takes the edge off the hunger enough that he doesn't notice the hunger so much and then he just wants to carry on playing or getting involved with whatever is happening.  But then at night time when he's in a dark quiet boring bedroom, he feels the hunger more and demands to be fed.

Last year we spent months trying to wean him off breastfeeding at night, it went on for such a long time, and every illness/bout of teething he'd stop eating during the day and cry so much from hunger at night that we'd slip back to night feeding again.  After a long time I was just left with the morning feed around 5am, which I then switched to pediasure on the doctor's advice (I tried formula but DS would not take it).  I thought this would help wean him completely from night feeds but no.  He kept waking early around 5am and the only way to get him to go back to sleep was to feed him the pediasure.  I tried an extended period without the morning feed following advice from BWers on the forum, but he never extended his sleep so I went back to the 5am feed and he started sleeping longer in the mornings again, so I surmised that he was, in fact, hungry.  After that I decided I had to try and feed him up more before bedtime, so after months of trying all kinds of tactics at the dinner table to trick him into eating, I gave up and started putting him in front of the tv for an hour before bed and it worked quite nicely.  He ate well in front of the tv and went to bed full and stopped waking in the night around 12/1am as had been his habit for some time.  The 4/5am feed continued though, but I didn't care as he was sleeping so much better and sleeping through to 6 or some days 7. 

Now we seem to have a problem again though, he seems to be bored of the movie that he used to eat in front of and now he refuses much of the food I offer, especially the more calorific stuff.  So now he's back to struggling to get to sleep, waking in the night around 12/1 am and waking early in the morning and this time not even getting back to sleep after his 5am feed.  The problem has been compounded by my DH who is currently starting a new business and is so exhausted in the night that he's not aware of what time it is and he's been giving the 5am feed in the middle of the night.  DS is now using the pediasure as a part time prop and demanding it most of the time he wakes.  I have moved back into the bedroom so now I can monitor more closely what's going on, and we've been witholding the pediasure until 4/5am again, and even though he doesn't complain much at 12, 1 or 2am when he wakes, he's lying awake for an hour or so, trying his best but unable to go back to sleep, which again, I'm putting down to hunger as he's not eating much during the day.  He's now in an OT situation though, with short naps which appear to be due to OT. 

I just don't know what to do now that the tv trick has stopped working.  Has anyone got any idea as to how on earth I'm supposed to feed this child during the day?  He seems to have very little interest at all and after a few bites either clamps his mouth shut or spits the food out.  I have wondered whether the pediasure may be contributing too many calories and that he has no appetite as a result but I've tried watering down the pediasure slightly but he doesn't seem to be any more hungry in the day, just more hungry at night.

Thanks, Lia

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: 2yo just doesn't seem to want to eat
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 17:03:18 pm »
How much pediasure is he getting in a day? I would guess it probably is not helping him to be hungry during the day as if he has a full feed of it at 5 am he is probably not keen on breakfast and so on. Does he drink it in the day too?

Also there are molars that come at around age two, so besides the prop issue with feeding do you think that could be contributing. What exactly does he eat most days? My kids could get by on very little sometimes!
Heidi

Offline delancepants

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 14:34:57 pm »
He has pediasure twice a day, once at night and once in the morning, but I've managed to water it down so he's actually only having one serving a day.  Yes, I think you're right, it's not helping him to be hungry.  I've tried for the last about 5 days to cut it down and he has shown a little more enthusiasm in eating in the morning but it's still dodgy for the rest of the day.

He could be teething, but I can't be sure.  We've all had a couple of upset tummies lately and both his appetite and sleep have been disturbed as a result.  I can't see any signs of teeth coming through though and usually he would get cold like symptoms when teething, whihc he doesn't have at the moment. 

I'd say on average he's having per day:
one serving of pediasure
half a cup of fresh watermelon juice
a third of a cup of rice
half a teaspoon of cheese spread
quarter cup of bombay mix
quarter cup of lentils/chickpeas
one tablespoon of veggies
a tablespoon of cashew nuts or peanuts
4 squares of chocolate or about 5 crisps

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 17:05:58 pm »
Are you vegetarian?  Am guessing so...sorry have no experience there with a toddler but what jumps out to me is besides the pediasure (is dairy and option?) is the chocolate/chips/bombay mix make up a good portion of the days food. Personally I wouod want to attempt changing those to foods that are more nutrient dense and perhaps up the veg.
Heidi

Offline *happy*

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • blessed to have found BWing.xxx
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 18:07:36 pm »
Have you tried soups?or ice-pops?home-made versions
Have helped us here when DD1 has been fussy.i hide a
multitude in them!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 18:31:37 pm »
Personally I would cut out all the pediasure, chocolate, crisps and bombay mix (I'd prob cut out the nuts too for a while) and juice. These things have very little nutritional value, mostly high in salt or sugar or just fill the tummy leaving no room for real food in meals.  I also wouldn't worry about him getting fewer calories for a few days by cutting them out and would stick by it, offer proper meals and healthy snacks such as fruit, veg, toast, naan bread or chapati, tofu, eggs and cheese (if you eat these foods), meat and fish (if you eat these).  If he likes the spiced flavour of bombay mix you can spice his proper meals with similar seasoning but without the salt.  I would also put in a regular drink of milk up to a cup per day of full fat cows milk.

There is really no reason why a 2yo would need to eat at 5am unless he is currently going through an illness or recovery, it sounds habitual. I would give him a drink of water and tell him he will get breakfast at his usual getting up time. If you usually get up at 7am, he is not going to starve in 2hrs. He may be annoyed, very annoyed, and you can explain to him you understand he is upset and that you are concerned that he is not getting enough of the right foods to help his body grown and repair itself.  you may have a couple of days where no one sleeps between 5 and 7am but I imagine his fussing would stop after 2 to 3 days.
Then come 7am I would give him a proper meal, cereal, toast, egg omelet, french toast (eggy bread) something like that, plus a serving of fruit (not juice).
If he likes chickpeas and lentils then I'd even serve that, 2-3 times per day if necessary, they are healthy so long as you are not using a lot of salt in cooking.
I would also make sure you eat as a family.  If Daddy is out working then it is whoever who is home, you and DS, sit together no TV, chat, share food, make meal times special and pay him lots of attention but not too much attention to the food. if he eats nothing at all I would ask him to try one mouthful and tell him his body needs some food for energy so he can play well.
I would also keep snacks very small (a kid size handful of sultanas or a cracker) and at set times only (one mid morning and one mid afternoon) until 3 proper meals are being taken.

When mine ate almost no protein and his diet had become out of balance I switched breakfast to a protein meal (egg) instead of carbs (cereal) and he ate it the first day with no fuss whatsoever, and every day thereafter. I've since seen other parents offer particular foods for breakfast if that food type is out of balance in the diet and it has worked many times the LO begins to eat it.  Morning hunger can be a great motivator to eat healthy meals.

hope this helps some.

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 09:37:58 am »
I do agree with PPs that things like choc, crisps, bombay mix etc could easily completely dropped from his diet and replaced with more nutritious things.  Given he's not keen on the act of eating, I would be trying to make sure that every bit of food he is offered counts in terms of nutrition and a healthy diet.  So, cubes of cheese or tofu are a good option, the choc could be replaced with dried fruits as they are high in iron, apple slices with nut butter are great, and so on. I'm happy to chat about that more if you like as I'm veggie and both my LOs are too.

As happy mentions 'hiding' healthy foods, I think Jessica Seinfeld has a good recipe book on how to include servings of veg in the most surprising places...this one: Haven't used it myself, but I hear good things about it.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deceptively-Delicious-Simple-Secrets-Eating/dp/006176793X

As I have a nearly 2 yo in the house myself, I am wondering about the 'HOW' of his eating, rather than the "what" which is easily addressed.  You don't give much detail on that so apols if I'm off the mark with what follows.  Most 1-2 yos are not naturals for sitting still at a dinner table for 20 minutes and eating what we would regard as a 'proper' meal.  Nonetheless, it is vitally important that you create the opportunity for him to learn that this is what we do at mealtimes.  So much of children's learning at this age is done by followed modelled behaviour.  I really think you need to switch off the TV and sit down at the table for every meal and snacktime with him.  OK, so he sits for two minutes and then goes off for a walk.  But he will see that you are sitting at the table and learn (eventually!) that this is what we do when we are eating.  And it really doesn't matter if he gets up to sit on your knee and then eats.  Or, as my LO2 likes to, continues wombling about on the floor but helps herself from her plate placed at a convenient height for her.  The lesson is that we sit at the table and eat together, and eating is fun and not a chore. 

You mention above trying to trick him into eating.  At this age, he needs to be fully in control of what goes into his mouth, he uses his own cutlery, he picks it up with his fingers, whatever, but no one else should be trying to put food in his mouth.  Apart from anything, 2 yos are generally terrors about wanting to control things. As there are very few things they actually *can* control, food can quickly become a battle-ground, with unfortunate results. Give him control of what he eats, and see what happens.  Another way of making eating fun and giving him control is to involve him in preparation, and sometimes letting him pick what he wants. But use closed choices 'Would you like X or Y?', as open choices can be overwhelming as well as leading to him picking something you don't want him to have!

The most important thing I think here is for you to realise that you cannot MAKE him eat.  You can just offer opportunities, and if you make sure that everything you offer to him is 'good food', then you'll be happy enough that he is eating well, even if not much in terms of quantity. My own LO2 ate lots in one go but now, nearly age 2, looks like she eats half nothing, as she is so busy running about and doing things.  That's her developmental priority right now!  Her eating pattern has shifted so that most of what she eats is snack-sized, even at mealtimes.  I'm confident it will shift back again at the proper time but in the meantime I'm keeping on modelling that 'correct' behaviour.

No child will starve themselves, reassure yourself of that.  If he is hungry, he will eat.  But I wouldn't be offering chocolate if he hasn't eaten his banana, or toast, or whatever.  I would certainly not be feeding him at night, that will just reinforce for him the idea that he doesn't need to eat during the day.

Hope some of that helps, it's a bit of a tricky situation but you can fix it! 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 09:56:37 am by weaver »
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline delancepants

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 10:49:12 am »
Well I'm actually wondering the last few days if he might be at the very beginning of the 1-0 transition, which would explain the night waking, but still I will try some of these ideas for encouraging him to eat during the day (and esp healthy foods), let's hope they work!

MasynSpencerElliotte...yes I am veggie and despite my best efforts to feed this child meat, he just won't try it.  He just spits it out.  As for the rest of the food, I know a fair bit about healthy eating and his current diet is obviously not the best, but it's the best I can manage at the moment.  He is extremely fussy and there is no way he'll eat something if he doesn't want it, he just spits it out.  (as opposed to DS1 who will say he doesn't want to eat something but then he'll go ahead and eat it anyway with a little persuasion!!)  I've tried cutting out snack foods but then he'll just happily go hungry and ends up sleeping very badly and demanding more pediasure at night.  I've also tried disguising healthy foods but he's too smart and most of the time still refuses.  The bombay mix is actually serving a valuable purpose in that it is a valuable source of iron, which he's just not getting when he refuses lentils/beans and all meat.  I think if we were living back in the uk then I'd be able to feed him a better diet because there's such a good range of foods there, but here in India there's very little except local produce and I think he gets bored with what's available.

*happy* - I make lentil soup often, but he has little interest.  Ice pops are a great idea, though, I used to do them for DS1, I'll give them a try, thanks for reminding me!

creations - as I mentioned already, i've tried cutting out the less healthy stuff and as I say he just sleeps really badly and then the whole family ends up in a state (esp atm when we're all sleeping together in the only ac room).  I already offer healthy meals, fruit and veg but he has limited interest.  I offer meat, eggs and cheese, once or twice a month he will eat eggs but only a few bites.  Meat and cheese he spits out.  He also refuses almost all other forms of dairy, including milk, which is why I haven't done the 'withdraw the unhealthy foods' experiment for more than a few days as I'm worried about his calcium intake falling too low without the pediasure (although I have done that experiment several times over the last year to see if he grows out of this fussy eating stage, to no avail, reducing the pediasure did not increase his interest in dairy of any form).  Yes he does like some spicy stuff, and I try to use this to my advantage by putting pickle etc on his veggies, and spice in some other foods, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  The tofu here does not have calcium added, so it's of little nutritional value esp since the calorie and fat contents are on the low side.  (btw bread is not very healthy, it has little nutrition and anyway it can affect iron absorption, which is one of my major concerns seeing as he eats so few foods with high iron content, hence the bombay mix, I choose those made exclusively with chickpea flour for max iron content). 

Cutting out the morning pediasure is definitely on the agenda, but not for another couple of months.  As I've tried the experiment before and it didn't work (his sleep didn't extend, he just stayed awake from 5am and got OT and even after 5 weeks it still didn't work, but when we reintroduced the pediasure his sleep extended again) I'm not prepared to submit the whole family to deprived sleep, so it will have to wait until the weather cools down and I can take him into a separate room. 

I feed him as much in the way of beans as I can, but there's only so much he will eat.  We do stick to meal times, the bombay mix and nuts are usually part of a meal, beit lunch or his evening meal in front of the computer.  Feeding him the healthy stuff for breakfast is is GREAT idea, I wouldn't have thought of that, I guess we are used to a certain idea of 'breakfast' foods, but here in india they eat curry for breakfast, so why not DS too!!  That may also work really well once we cut the pediasure morning feed.

weaver - Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. 

As I've mentioned I'm reluctant to drop the bombay mix as it's actually contributing to his iron intake.  the crisps / chocolate are only given as a treat once he's eaten a healthy meal.  He's not keen on dried fruits, I offer them frequently, sometimes he'll have them, sometimes not.  sometimes he'll eat peanut butter, sometimes not.  there are no other nut butters available here. 

We do sit down for meals together, that's very important for me, and I have also stopped expecting him to sit in his own chair, my lap is fine if it helps him to eat.  I only use the TV in the evening (after our official dinner time where we sit at the table) and I also already use closed choices.  I have tried on numerous occasions to allow him to exclusively feed himself but it always ends up the same, he doesn't eat enough, sleeps badly then asks for milk in the night. 

I had a discussion with DH the other night to make it clear not to feed him in the night any more and we seem to have come through the worst of it for the moment.  I'm also wondering if thirst in the night time has also been contributing, it's very difficult for the kids to drink enough during the day atm, it's 40 degrees here, and difficult even for us as adults to keep up our water intake enough to keep us going overnight.  So we've been concentrating on offering lots of drinks during the day and evening, so things have improved somewhat.  I'm also hoping that altering his nap routine will help the sleep.  I will try out the suggestions given and in a couple of months cut that morning feed.  Fingers crossed!

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 11:04:25 am »
Just a thought - I know I'm less hungry when it's hot.  Do you think that could be a contributing factor?  Any way to offer food when it's cooler (I guess like the breakfast time suggestion) or in a cooler spot?  Is it hot where you actually eat? Sorry, if that's a really obvious suggestion that you've already thought of!
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 12:50:06 pm »
Hi there, I have read through the posts above and it does seem like you know what your DS should be eating in order to maintain a healthy intake. I have a couple of thoughts following your recent post:

He also refuses almost all other forms of dairy, including milk, which is why I haven't done the 'withdraw the unhealthy foods' experiment for more than a few days as I'm worried about his calcium intake falling too low without the pediasure (although I have done that experiment several times over the last year to see if he grows out of this fussy eating stage, to no avail, reducing the pediasure did not increase his interest in dairy of any form

You have tried withholding unhealthy things from him and reducing the pediasure several times before. How many days at a time have you tried this?

I wonder whether he is like the child who screams and screams at night because he doesn't want to be in his cot and then after a couple of hours of trying to sleep train using BW methods, parents go back to the tried and tested sharing a bed, even though they know this is not what he needs in the long term. I say this because if there is a pattern of him knowing that you will go back to offering him what he wants to eat after a few days, he may just not have got to the point of being hungry enough to eat what you really want him to. The fact that you have done it before maybe means he will hold off for longer than a child who had never had this happen before. This makes sense when I say it to myself so I hope you know what I mean.

If you decide to do this again, you really need to go with it until he eats healthily again. You may decide that because of this, your worry that he'll become malnourished is too overwhelming to enable you to try this route. I'm not a medical practitioner, but my thoughts would be that any malnourishment from following this method would only be temporary, and worthwhile if it helps him to have a more balanced diet.

the crisps / chocolate are only given as a treat once he's eaten a healthy meal.

Is it possible that he holds out from eating properly in order to get the "treats" he wants to have. Personally I always offer a healthy dessert (fruit/yoghurt) to my DD after every meal, whether she has eaten well or not. Treats or "sometimes foods" are things that we choose to offer as an occasional additional food and not as a reward connected to normal everyday eating habits. This way, if DD refuses her main meal, but eats a banana for her pudding, I feel better that she has had something of nutritional worth and will help her last until the next meal.

I agree with Catherine, that eating more in cooler times of the day may help.

What about gradually removing the pediasure from his diet and offering more healthy foods for him to eat if he wants. I would also want to be removing the high salt snacks.
~ Naomi ~

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 13:23:31 pm »
Pancakes are a great way of getting protein in - you can make them with chickpea flour or ground almonds and of course egg and a splash of milk.  If you want him eating chickpeas, why not just offer chickpeas? Or hummus?

And it's reasonably easy to make homemade nut butters.  Almond butter is particularly good but sunflower seed is excellent too.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 13:37:04 pm by weaver »
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 119
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 13:27:30 pm »
Do you think the NWs could be due to thirst rather than hunger? Could you try replacing the pediasure with water at night? It would probably help his appetite during the day then too..

Offline delancepants

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 15:17:02 pm »
Ha ha, thanks Cathn, not a silly question at all.  Right now it's just ridiculously hot everywhere and all day and night.  I could try feeding him in the ac bedroom, but tbh I don't think it would make a difference as he was fussy during winter, ok that's indian winter, but even when we were in Uk/ireland last year he was fussy. 

Good point Buttonbobs, previously I have tried between 5-7 days, but you're right, he could be holding out longer as he knows I'll give in sooner or later.  He's so small though, I'm just too scared to push it right now.  I think I would feel more comfortable about it if he was older/bigger.  I do already offer plenty of healthy foods all through the day (I mean my diet and DH's diets are very healthy, even DS1 has a pretty healthy diet, and we sit together at mealtimes so he's always getting offered the healthy stuff, plenty of fruit and veg) so maybe if I reduce the pediasure over a sustained period he might start taking up the offers more.  I guess once monsoon starts and it cools down I'll give it a go.

Thanks weaver, I already make chickpea flour pancakes (with egg and milk), sometimes he eats them sometimes not.  I do offer chickpeas but same story.  Unfortunately I don't have the right equipment to make nut butter and can't afford to buy it right now (actually I'm not sure if they have the right thing here).  I did bring my super duper blender from the uk but india killed it within 6 months.  I have a cheap indian thing now that won't do the job.

Thanks Jazzberry, yes I think thirst could have been part of it.  last night I really pushed him to drink lots before bedtime and he slept great, but it could have been due to being tired from little sleep the night before (crying for the pediasure for 1.5hours!).  But I do have the water ready for tonight just in case!

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 17:57:33 pm »
If it were me I would cut out the pediasure right away.  The nutritional information says it has 18g of sugar per serving, which is about 4.5 teaspoons of sugar  :o  and the first two ingredients are water and sugar...so probably not a good idea for him to be having it on a regular basis.  The recommendation for preschoolers is 3tsp of sugar total through the whole day.  I wouldn't be surprised if he is waking at 5am to get his sugar fix, lol  ;)

I also wanted to say that, from experience, if you cut the junk you LO will eat if they are hungry.  I found that when I was pregnant with dd2, dd1 was eating too much unhealthy stuff.  I ended up just not buying the unhealthy stuff, and dd1 got over it.  She eventually started gobbling up the good stuff, and stopped asking for the not so good stuff.  It can be done, and when you are ready I am sure the lovely ladies here will be happy to offer support, advice and alternatives (there must be an iron fortified alternative to bombay mix, no?)  I have some links i can post for you if you are ready to start changing it now.

I found that when dd1 got to be that age she was more likely to eat her food if she helped prepare it.  She was also more likely to try new things or things she would have refused before if she helped make them.  It is a trick I will be trying with dd2 as she is a big "meat and potatoes" kinda kid and generally spits out most fruit and veggies!

On a side note about bread, there are parts of whole grains that make up breads that can interfere with the absorption of nutrients.  But there are also preservatives and chemicals in processed foods that interfere with absorption of nutrients.  Me, personally, I would focus on offering a variety of grain/whole grain foods, including bread (a 2-3yo does need 3 serving of grains as part of a healthy balanced diet) and skip the overly processed food and snack mixes  :-\

Offline delancepants

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 04:38:29 am »
That's interesting Tinkerbell99, how long did it take your LO to start eating healthy stuff?

As I mentioned I do water down the pediasure quite a lot so that the sugar doesn't have quite as much impact.  Of course I don't want him taking it in the long term it's just that all my efforts so far have failed, but maybe I haven't tried for long enough.  He's just so small that I've been scared to push him too hard.

I can't find any other viable alternatives in terms of iron or calcium either for that matter. 

I take your point about additives affecting absorption, but what I refer to as bombay mix is actually gathia and besan papdi, both of which are quite freshly made, they don't last long so I doubt there's any additives.  The bread issue is actually a moot point anyway as he has never eaten bread in any form, he flat refuses it every time.