Author Topic: Finger food vs puree  (Read 1876 times)

lilac83

Finger food vs puree
« on: April 16, 2014, 15:38:24 pm »
M will be 9 months old on Saturday. So far she's mostly on puree food with a few finger foods (pancake, cheerios, puffs). For those of you who used purees, when did you start transitioning to mostly finger food? I would also like to start offering her more of the food from family meals. Is it too early to offer her food with seasonings or red sauce? What about mayo/dressing?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Finger food vs puree
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 16:48:24 pm »
Bumping for you x

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 20:42:17 pm »
With Cadan I think it was about 7mo we transitioned to mostly finger foods or at least chopped foods rather than mashed or puréed. We'd always done lots of finger foods though. By 9mo I would definitely be looking at stopping purées and moving up to coarser foods.

Babies under 1yo should only have a max of 1g of salt a day which will easily come from that naturally occurring in milk, veg and meat etc so I wouldn't offer any foods that are processed or have added salt no. Between 1-2yo they can handle up to 2g a day. Until then I would season with herbs and spices rather than salt.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 11:00:28 am »
red sauce? What about mayo/dressing?
I would avoid red sauce because of the salt and sugar content but I used to make home made dips for DS, very simple things like home made salad dressings without salt (or honey) eg olive oil with lemon juice and a little mint, DS would even dip in just lemon juice.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 19:47:55 pm »
By red sauce do you mean tomato ketchup? I think the salt in a serving of that is like a third of baby's daily allowance. Mayo is marginally better I think. I'd make sure the egg has been pasteurised though and isn't homemade with raw egg.

Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline lauradj

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 22:36:11 pm »
My DS is 8 months now and he's doing some finger foods; really ripe fruit, steamed veg, toast with butter etc and I do a combination of mashed/lumpy foods and smoother dishes, though purees are pretty much gone.  There are some really easy pasta tomato sauce recipes if that's what you're looking for and they sneak extra vegetables in which is a bonus.