Author Topic: How do you keep LOs entertained while opening birthday presents?  (Read 1968 times)

Offline Mom-of-boys

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
My son's birthday is coming up real fast and I'm trying to get everything organized.  We're having mostly adults, but also about 8 kids ranging in age from 1 year to 6 years old.  I was just wondering, how do you keep the little guests happy and entertained while opening presents?  I've heard of waiting to open presents at home, but I think my guests might be disappointed if I did that.  Any thoughts or ideas of what has worked for you?

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: How do you keep LOs entertained while opening birthday presents?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 03:04:43 am »
You can have your ds open presents while the older party guests watch and just let the littler ones continue playing -- they don't actually need to watch. Also, keep it moving -- open present and move on to the next.  :)

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 04:14:42 am »
We did lots of traditional party games for DD's birthday last year. Musical chairs, pass the parcel, pin the tail on the donkey. At the start the kids were all skeptical but once they started they loved it. Everyone got a little prize too. All you need is one adult to supervise and it keeps them entertained while you do  whatever you need to.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 05:55:29 am »
Doing it at home also saves risk of the child announcing they don't like it  :-\. Kids get very overwhelmed with lots of presents.

I remember Jacob age 4 giving my mum her present back 'it's just wool this one grandma!'

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 06:27:11 am »
'it's just wool this one grandma!'
lol Liz! We have had a few of these....cringe....

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 07:47:39 am »
Yup, we open at home too - that way the child doesn't have to manage both their disappointment and trying to cover it up iyswim. There are bound to be some gifts that aren't instantly liked.

My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 10:01:07 am »
The customs here in the Netherlands is to open the present right away, no waiting.  For adults or children it is the same rule on all ocasions.  There is no need to say if you like it or not, just thank you for the present.  I love it.  I was shocked at the beginning.   I think it is great!  There is no pressure on the receiver and none on the giver.  (And always with the receipt ready in case there is duplicate!)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 10:26:07 am »
We also open the presents right away with no waiting. It meas that it sort of spreads it out. For things like the first birthday, or a baby shoer or another significant birthday we will do it in a bunch- but usually just open them as people arrive. I need to get better at organising my time at the start of the party so that i can have someone else getting drinks and such organised for people while i watch the presents as i really think people want you to see the present too- not just your child. (I know i do!) I tend to think for small kids too that it might make a bit more sense for the giver of the present as it's sort o like 'here's the present- now it's opened'... THat's just our approach.

Other than that i'd just have it so the small kids can keep playing while the bigger ones watch.
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!