Author Topic: Early waking?  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Nickie18

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Early waking?
« on: April 17, 2014, 13:41:58 pm »
My 3 week old is doing very well overall, but we are now dealing with when/how she is waking in the am. Feeds every 3 hours during day after wake up of 7:30am. We cluster feed her at 4:30, 6:45 and then at 8pm. We have been doing the DF at 10:30m or so and she does take almost a full feed. Then wakes at 2am and then 5:30am for feeds. yesterday I gave her 2 oz at 5:30 and she was fine, but today she woke at 5:45 and she took almost a full feed. What do I do at 7:30am? I didn't even finish the feed until 6:30am due to hiccups and sputtering during the 5:45 am feed. I do not know if I should let her sleep a little more or just get her up at 7:30 and hope she takes a full feed to get her through until 10:30am feed?

Please help! She never really settles well after the 5:30am feed anyways... I wonder if we don't do the DF that maybe she would sleep longer?

Right now I just don't know what to do in 1 hour!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Early waking?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 16:47:25 pm »
You could try not doing the DF and see when the night feeds end up being. If you get one earlier than that 5.30/45 feed it may be easier to settle her back to sleep.
You can of course start the day at that 5.30/45 feed although personally I'd try to resettle because it's habit forming. It's totally your choice. If you get her up at 5.30am then obviously you start all your EASY times from there.
hth

Offline Nickie18

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 23:44:13 pm »
We ended up not doing the DF last night- she was also a bit tired to do the cluster feeds- she had 2oz at 645pm, 1oz at 8pm, let sleep until woke at 11pm and had 2 oz, then sleep and awoke screaming at MN and had 2 oz (hubbie likely awoke her too early at 11pm to feed), but then she slept until 4:45 am and took 3 oz and then I woke her at 7:30am! The wakening was perfect. What do you think about the cluster feeds and the feeds at 11 and MN? Maybe not do cluster if she is too tired at night and just feed 7:30pm? She usually is rooting like crazy at 8pm...

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 07:52:57 am »
Sounds good :)
Maybe not do cluster if she is too tired at night and just feed 7:30pm?
Sounds like a plan.
If you are not sure about this maybe post to the feeding board for more experienced eyes with clusters etc.

Glad to hear the EW has resolved :)

Offline Nickie18

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 13:52:03 pm »
Well one day of a good night does not make a habit. Last night- could not do cluster feed- she would not take it. NO DF to see what would happen.
E- 7:15pm then bed at 8pm- tried ot give more but refused
E: 11:45pm- 4 oz
2:45- 4 oz
6am- 2 oz (I limited but she seemed relaxed when I put her down)
Now still fussing in bed 20 minutes after I replaced her in bed- no crying

She is only going 3 hours at a time at night... How can we extend that? If we could get her second feed around 4 or 4:30 I think she could make it to 7:30am wake up... Any ideas so that this does not be come a habit? Is every 3 hours at night normal when she is doing that in the day? 3 week growth spurt??

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 17:25:08 pm »
There's so many GS in the early days but I don't know exactly when.
I'll move you over to bottle feeding as there are prob more ideas there.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 18:53:15 pm »
At 3 weeks she is doing really well! Her nights look normal to me! The 3 hour feeds won't last forever, she will stretch by herself  probably when she can take bigger bottles. There is a growth spurt at 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 12 weeks, 4 months and 6 months but that's quite general and they can come inbetween and vary from baby to baby.

How much is she taking at a feed during the day? If she is draining the bottles you offer make sure you add more to the bottle.

Laura

Offline Nickie18

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 21:53:59 pm »
Thank you- She takes about 3.5 to 4 ounces, does not drain them (we make just over 4 oz) every 3 hours. So 5 feeds like that during the day, and then we feed when she wakes after the DF and the cluster feedings did no good. (she would end up taking 4 oz over the two cluster feeds and sometimes less). We just dropped the DF as she woke every time. So I guess she is getting 8 feeds in 24 hours of about 3.5-4 oz. which does sound normal but 30 ounces a day seems a lot for her... Just wish the last feed was not so close to the wake up time! She did take 3 oz at 7:30 after the 2 oz at 6am, so I guess that was great!

When would you just start the day with an early waking if 7:30am is the wanted wake up time? I think maybe 6:30 would be latest I would feed her and then wake her up at 8 instead?

Thanks!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 07:48:13 am »
It sounds like a lot but you will probably find that she won't actually increase the amount of formula she takes by that much, the bottles will become bigger but more spaced out so the amount stays about the same.

It's up to you with the waking, personally anything after 6am and I started the day and ran from there. If they woke before 6am they got resettled but after 6 wasn't really an EW in my house! Some babies just do naturally wake earlier than you would like, mine never had a set wake up time they have always been pretty random.

I couldn't cluster or DF my two, they just wouldn't do it so I just fed on a 3 hour EASY (or earlier if they were obviously hungry at this age) and then fed when they woke.

Laura

Offline Nickie18

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 15:27:21 pm »
Thank you!

Last night she would not cluster and ate 4 oz from 7:15-8pm
Then woke at MN for 4 oz and then at 4 am for 3.5 oz and then woke for day at 7:20am so overall a great night! I guess no cluster and no DF seems to be working... Thank you for your help- hope it stays this way- but I know nothing ever is the same even day to day...