Author Topic: My 1 year old on a nursing strike - teething/biting/weaning  (Read 1337 times)

Offline bleujoli

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
My 1 year old on a nursing strike - teething/biting/weaning
« on: April 16, 2014, 00:33:32 am »
Hi all. I've been a long time lurker and follower of the Baby Whisperer books and forum, but I finally have an issue I'm concerned enough about that I thought I'd seek help.

I've been in the process of slowly weaning my one year old (almost 13 months). We were down to 3 bfs a day when today she started biting me during our lunch time bf. I moved from the couch and into her room, thinking she was distracted, and she bit me *HARD*. I cried out and smacked her cheek. She started crying and I felt absolutely horrible. What an awful mother. :( I held her and talked nice and said I was sorry, but after that, the rest of the day, every time I tried to offer nursing she would lean over and bite me and then cry! So I just did cow's milk for lunch and dinner and when I offered the nighttime nursing she bit me, cried and then cried when I offered it again. She drank milk from a straw sippy instead and then went to bed, but I feel awful.

I noticed that she is getting her first two top molars and figure this must have something to do with nursing - though she is drinking fine from a straw. I'm worried I made her afraid of nursing and even though we were weaning I'm sad to give it up so quickly! I thought I'd at least have another month.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Either to get her to nurse again so I don't explode? Or should I pump just so I don't get plugged up? How much how often if I plan to wean?

Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Offline Violet's mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 26
Re: My 1 year old on a nursing strike - teething/biting/weaning
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 19:06:10 pm »
Hugs for the biting!  I would personally give it a couple days - she might've forgotten about it by tomorrow!

Irt pumping - you could pump a little less every time to minimize engorgement.  If you plan on continuing I would definitely pump.  If she bites again I would unlatch her and tell her that hurts mommy.  But I totally understand your reaction!

Let me know how it goes!

**Tracy**

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: My 1 year old on a nursing strike - teething/biting/weaning
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 21:21:21 pm »
If you don't want to wean yet then I would keep offering and pump what you can if she doesn't take a feed.

If you decide to stop then I'd only express what you absolutely have to for comfort so that the milk stops ASAP. The more you pump the more your body will think it needs to make.

To deal with biting we normally recommend pulling LO into the breast so they let go.

Have you tried meds for teething pain half an hour or so before offering a feed?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011