Author Topic: Cause of erratic night wakings  (Read 760 times)

Offline Rubes_ct12

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: April 21, 2014, 00:12:43 am »
Hi there!

My LO is 4 months (in a couple of days) and for last couple of weeks has been waking at night erratically.
But us getting worse! Last 2 nights have been 6+ wakings and I've resorted to bringing her into bed with me.

She's a catnapper during the day which I'm still working on.

I'm wandering if the cause of NW is from leap 4 (wonder week) or perhaps need to go up in A time even more?? I'm currently doing about 1.5hrs. (I'll post today's
EASY later) she's reflux bub but seems under control at the moment. Not sure if it's growth spurt or not- during the day is not taking any more feeds then usual but is still eating roughly 3 hourly.

Regards much sleep deprived mummy

Offline Jbla17

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Re: Cause of erratic night wakings
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 01:02:04 am »
Hi!
I would say leap 4/4 month sleep regression is the culprit. It does affect some babies more than others, how did you lo handle previous leaps? I didnt have much trouble at all do night time but naps were a disaster for while. You may get one or the other or both!!! Eeeeek! Leap four is meant to be one of the hardest. We have finished leap four and just started leap 5 and I'm noticing all my hard work on naps during ww4 going out the window again!! My advice would be to just keep with your routine as much as possible and be persistent. Don't let it get to you either cos you will come out the other side :-) Is your lo upset when waking? Does she put herself to sleep? Or do you rock her etc....Apparently at around 4 months their sleep changes a lot to actually waking between sleep cycles, if they know how to put themselves back to sleep they don't need your help. She may also just want a cuddle in the middle of the night as mine did for some mummy comfort :-) As she is a catnapper anyway don't worry too much on that just yet.... I think once A time increases around 7 months or so she will probably consolidate those catnaps to two nice chunky ones.....well it what would all hope for anyway!! Hope I helped a little.... Sometimes it's good just to know someone's experience and that they did get through it :-)

Offline Angie79

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 02:21:01 am »
I could have written this - my lg is 15 weeks and the last weeks has been a nightmare for night wakings it usually starts around 1 and then waking up every hour or taking a hour to go back to sleep - I'm totally at my wits end so following this with I interest

X

Offline Rubes_ct12

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 02:24:28 am »
Hi

Yes it's good to hear from others that's for sure. She puts herself to sleep (just got rid of swaddle and dummy during the day but still using dummy at night now)  and sometimes when she does sleep longer she can transition during the day. She used to be able to resettle herself at night too but at the moment she just seems to protest for ages so I get her up or try to resettle in cot. If I do resettle in cot she wakes an hour later so I feed her then.

She rarely cries when waking at night or during the day unless  really OT.

With the sleep regression, if they wake at night all the time do they learn to resettle or do the go back to sleeping chunks again? Do you need to do new sleep training in the night then?

She usually does get effected by WW in the sleep department, used to be during the day mainly by fighting naps (but she's not fighting days sleeps with this one, still catnapping most of the time though)

Offline Jbla17

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Re: Cause of erratic night wakings
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 04:14:32 am »
I think for most their sleep does go back to normal after the wonder week is done. So if she was STTN before she should go back to it... Fingers crossed ;-) its hard to know how much protesting and rolling around in the cot is enough in a NW. Go with your instincts though, if you think she needs you then she does. My lo woke at 3am a few weeks ago, chatting and moaning away, not crying at all. I let her go on for a while and she did eventually go back to sleep 40 mins later. You almost have to tie yourself in bed to keep from getting up!! It did work though :-)