Author Topic: Trouble with finger foods  (Read 1717 times)

Offline Bowrach

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 22, 2014, 18:28:33 pm »
I have been having a little bit of trouble with introducing finger foods or anything not pureed. My little one is 8mo old and still does not have any teeth. I have tried to offer him mashed sweet potatoes instead of puréed and he would not eat them. I have also tried mashed bananas and cut some small pieces up to put on his tray but he did not like this either. Just seeing if anyone has any suggestions

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Trouble with finger foods
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 18:39:00 pm »
Some LOs don't like the stage between puree and regular foods so mashing or cutting small might not be the right approach for your LO. How about trying large, adult finger sized pieces of fruit, veg, toast, meat, rather than mashed?  Larger pieces are easier to pick up and easier to grasp, think of half the food being held in a fist grip whilst the other half pokes out the top to be eaten, this way LO has more control of getting it to his mouth.
It also helps to see you eating exactly the same thing so he gets the idea of what to do and hears your 'yum' sounds so knows it's good.  But otherwise don't panic, just keep offering.  You might find it easier to offer some thing suitable from the family meal rather than preparing lots of different things just for him to then feel your efforts are wasted.  I made changes to how I cooked the family meal, chopped veg larger, cooked without salt, things like that.
There are lots of ideas listed here
Finger Foods for Young Babies (6-9 months)
BLW recipes
You could just start with steamed carrot batons or oven baked sweet potato wedges/fingers, fingers of toast or pitta/naan bread etc.  Also don't be worried about having no teeth, LOs gums are amazingly hard and they can gum away at just about anything. Mine never had puree at all, at 6 months he happily gummed and sucked away on a piece of roast beef along with Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes and veg etc. During teething many LOs even like something hard to gnaw on as it can offer relief, mine liked hard sugar free biscuits and bread sticks when teething.
hth

Offline Bowrach

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 13:14:10 pm »
Ok thank you for all the suggestions! I will defiantly try the bigger pieces, I think it would be easier for him to grasp. I was a little hesitant about him having no teeth but I will give it a try. Thanks again!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Trouble with finger foods
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 20:08:26 pm »
oven baked sweet potato wedges/fingers

These keep really well in the fridge too. I would make a batch and they would keep for days - can be heated in the microwave easily.