Author Topic: 17.5 Month Old Mouthing Crayons/Crafts  (Read 3223 times)

Offline FrankiesMom12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 22, 2014, 19:54:46 pm »
Hi Ladies - I thought I would post this here as you've helped a number of times in the past. Anyway, I keep trying crayons and other craft type items with my 17.5 month old. He still/continues to put them into his mouth. I'm not sure if this is normal. I'm starting to feel a little frustrated by it, as I'm growing convinced he's sometimes trying to get a rise out of me. I don't yell or anything, just sternly tell him no and remove the item, but he'll look right at me and put it back in. Sometimes while saying no himself. I have posted this on another site and most people that replied said their children just seemed to "know" not to put crayons in their mouths and while that is magnificent for them, SO not helpful for my situation! I appreciate advice you might have,  and will be posting a separate question around daily routines for 18 month olds.

Offline clazzat

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 286
Re: 17.5 Month Old Mouthing Crayons/Crafts
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 21:01:23 pm »
I have 3 who put everything in their mouths until they were over. 2 - some of them just do that! Tbh, I'm not sure that there is much more that you can do that you aren't doing already - tell him the rules, repeat them and take away the crayon if he continues. He will get it eventually.   Oh, and make sure that you have non-toxic crayons! :D I totally lost count of the number of crayons my ds ate!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 21:10:48 pm »
I was lucky, my DS rarely put anything in his mouth unless it was food but I've seen other LOs just like yours so it's luck of the draw I guess.  I would probably keep crafts really limited until he is old enough to understand and cooperate.  There's plenty of alternative activities to crafts, lots of safe messy/sensory play that is possible without putting yourself through the stress of trying to teach him something he may just not be ready for.
I did hand an foot prints with tomato ketchup when mine was little, I didn't want him to eat it but if it went in his mouth it wasn't going to harm him.
Many LOs like painting with plain water, they can still see the effect it has on paper, wooden fences, paved patios etc.
You can make glue paste from flour and water, non-toxic, for doing paper collage.
Home made play doh is non toxic and very easy to make.
Use a stick, rake, paint brush and other tools in sand/rice/flour tray to produce marks and patterns.  Equally a tray of tomato puree (thin with water or oil) can be brushed around and marks made on it with various tools. A metal baking tray is great for putting that on, you can make prints of the art works by laying a piece of paper over the tray (after making the marks) to lift the pigment up and let it dry.

Sure there are many many other things you can do too which introduce the idea of mark making, sticking, forming, shaping etc, all developing fine motor skills and the early drawing skills without using crayons or pens.

If he insists on eating absolutely everything maybe make a thick soup or stew for him to play with, or a can of baked beans emptied into a tray ;)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 21:15:31 pm »
My 7.5 & 5.5 year olds still mouth colouring tools - crayons, markers, pens etc - they are very orally driven. When they were that young colouring was a short lived activity!

Daycare did pudding paint, but ketchup sounds fun too!
Heidi

Offline FrankiesMom12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 23:21:04 pm »
Thanks for the info ladies. Creations - thanks so much for all of the ideas. I will definitely give some of them a try! It also helps hearing of others whose kids put things in their mouths for a bit longer!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 17:44:02 pm »
Have fun :)

Yes I've heard of pudding paint too, there are tons of non-toxic food type materials which can be used instead of crayons and shop bought paints, it's just a matter of finding out what they are.

Another I just remembered is corn flour mixed with water, the physical properties are really fun, it looks solid and can even feel solid and be picked up almost as a solid then turns into gloopy liquid in your hands, amazing to play with and draw into with finger tips or using other tools (fork, spoon, paint brush handle, whisk, toy rake etc). Just mix it on a washing tray, cat litter tray or baking tray type thing so it can spread around and keeps the area relatively clean-ish (who am I kidding, it'll go everywhere but it is easy to clean up because it's just flour and water).

I just saw this link with lots of ideas too, I only had a quick glance, they look a bit more complex in the recipe than just using tom sauce, but if your LO enjoys the crafts then it's worth the effort. Looks like some interesting stuff there - puffy paint!!
http://www.planetpals.com/craft-non-toxic-craft-supply-recipes.html

enjoy :)

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 18:11:43 pm »
Mine did this as well....rather than tell her "no" I would instead say "Crayons are for paper"....and direct her hand back to the paper.  After a bit I gave up, moved to painting with water and stickers,  and re-introduced crayons about 12 weeks later. Same thing. Laid off again until she was about 26 months, and she wasn't quite as interested in eating them anymore.    :)

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 18:38:38 pm »
OMG what didn't Leorah put in her mouth? The worst was snail in the garden  :-X Crayons are fine  ;D
Katt

Offline clazzat

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 20:39:35 pm »
OMG what didn't Leorah put in her mouth? The worst was snail in the garden  :-X Crayons are fine  ;D
Rabbit poo for x... :-x

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 23:21:21 pm »
Rabbit poo for x... :-x

Meh...Masyn ate her own poo ;)
Heidi

Offline skatty

• My spirited girl
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 19:41:56 pm »
 ;D
Katt

Offline clazzat

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 10:30:50 am »
You win, Heidi! ;)

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 14:33:47 pm »
No I dont want to win!! Thank goodness it was at daycare.
Heidi

Offline skatty

• My spirited girl
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 19:20:45 pm »
 ;D
Katt