Author Topic: What should my easy look like for 10 month old  (Read 4039 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
What should my easy look like for 10 month old
« on: April 22, 2014, 21:22:17 pm »
My lo will be 10 months at the end of the month. I post faithfully on specific topic boards but I'm wondering what my los easy should look like. He only takes short naps so the example routines never fit our scheduke. He normally wakes at 7 am although lately it's anywhere from 6-7 am. We just dropped a bottle and are trying to figure out when to give that second bottle and how to schedule solids and formula into his scheduke. So his easy looks like this based on a 630 am routine:

630 wake
7 bottle usually 9 oz
8 breakfast 4 tbsp multi grain baby cereal 3 tbsp fruit some bananas finger food
10-11 nap
11:15 bottle today took 6 oz
12:15 lunch solids about 1/2 cup food 6-8 tbsp plus finger foods
230-3pm 30 min nap is his norm every now and then I'll get longer but not typically
4 dinner about 1/2 cup food fruit /veggie/protein/ grain/ dairy
630 bottle 9 oz and bed

Just wondering if I should tweak anything times feedings etc.
His daytime sleep is only 1.5 -2 hrs but he sleeps through the night 11-12 hours.
We are usually out and about in the afternoon do his nap is usually in the car but even if he is in crib he will sleep 30 mins! Thanks so much :)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: What should my easy look like for 10 month old
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 21:36:56 pm »
He is on the lower end of day sleep but if he seems happy when he wakes from naps and he is sttn then I'd probably just go with it.

Does he settle himself to sleep or are you in the room when he falls asleep?

You could try pushing his first nap later to see if he will sleep longer for that first nap but if he has never done long naps then that may not help.

Or you could try wake to sleep 20 mins into his second nap could help extend that. Worth a try I think.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 21:40:18 pm »
If it's working for you I would leave well alone :)
I used to see so many 10 month old posts on naps when I was mod there (way back), it's a time when many seem to go a bit off track and can be showing the early signs of moving towards one nap (although actually moving to one nap may not happen for some time).

You could perhaps
- move the first nap a little later and see if your morning WU moves a little later again. You don't necessarily have to move the second nap as it's only a CN anyway so he doesn't need to be super tired for that one, although you might move it a bit later to move BT later.
- try W2S on the morning nap see if it will lengthen
- offer a small snack at 3pm. This must be where you've dropped the milk feed.  As he's used to having a feed there he might like a snack and drink of water, a cracker or small piece of fruit as it's quite a long time between lunch and dinner. (when you drop the mid morning bottle I would switch it to a snack and drink too. There is no hurry to drop the bottle yet though)
- continue to offer milk feeds to an amount where he does not fully drain the bottle (you prob are).

Posted with Ali.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 21:42:28 pm »
Great minds think alike

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 21:59:22 pm »
:) I just noticed we have suggested W2S on different naps (me the morning, you the afternoon) - ah well take your choice :)

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 22:12:28 pm »
Oh yes. You could do it on both tbh. I was just worried he may wake at 50 mins and not go back to sleep. Worth a try though.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 00:12:17 am »
Thank you everyone for the tips. I've tried wake to sleep in the past with no luck and I have a hard time keeping him up past 3.5 hrs I think the one time I tried I got an ot nap of 30 mins but I could give it a try. He wakes happy and refreshed in morning. The afternoon catnap if in car he wakes happy if in crib he wakes crying. I've tried everything with that second nap shorter a time and longer a times but no luck. Today he slept from 2-240 in car and we gave him his bottle at 615 so that he could be in bed by 630 which is a 12 hr day. He wouldn't go to sleep. Finally at 715 he fell asleep! Maybe he was ot? Is 12 hrs a normal day when he only sleeps 1.5-2 hrs during day?  So I'll try a snack when he gets up from nap aroubd 3 and then dinner at 430? Thanks again!

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 07:14:30 am »
I know our day got longer at this age because we were approaching the 2-1 but we were getting more day sleep. Probably only 1.5hrs and 30-40 mins though with DS2 my lower sleep needs one. I think our day was 13hrs. It is common to get a longer day as they approach dropping a nap. Has your DS always been lower sleep needs or not?

If you increase the morning A time just do it by 10 mins or so every few days so he doesn't get OT.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 10:23:24 am »
Yes he's never napped well. So by extending the morning a time that will help with the second nap? So I should try for 3 hrs 45 mins? I'm afraid I'll get an ot nap. He usually does a 12 hour day do you think I should increase to 13? Maybe that's why he wouldn't go to bed? How much a time from the last nap until bed? Yesterday ended up being 4.5 by the time he fell asleep and he's already awake early today at 615. I find that when he wakes this early he barely makes it 3.5 a first thing. Thanks again. I feel like sometimes I should just go with the flow more and not obsses over it.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 10:34:12 am »
Most 10mo will do one long and one short nap so I'd just try to extend the morning nap and not worry about the afternoon CN. We were doing 3-3.5hr A time after a 30-40 min nap with DS2 but DS1 was doing even less, maybe 2hr45. Neither would have managed a full A time after a CN.

I probably wouldn't extend his day to 13hrs unless you get one of the naps longer.

If you think he will get OT from a longer morning A then just add 10 mins for a few days and then maybe another 10 mins to give his body time to adjust.

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 10:45:34 am »
DS2 is 10.5 months. We're now having some 1 nap days, which seem to work better for him, but if we're on two naps we have to have a 13 hour day and an 11 hour night.

We generally have an AM nap of 1.5hrs and a PM of 30 mins, occasionally he'll do longer in the AM but I need to keep the PM at 30 mins or we have long NWings. Our trouble is that a one nap day needs to be 11 hours, it gives us a longer night at 12 hours but then we're stuck as 11 plus 12 does not equal 24!!

So, we're all over the place right now ;) but, we did/do need 13 hours days during this tough 2-1.
Catherine x

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 11:46:39 am »
I'm hoping to keep him on 2 naps as long as possible. Although the idea of one good long nap does sound good! The only problem I run into is that yesterday his afternoon nsp was 2-230 so 3 hrs a time expulsion only have been 530! So in the end maybe he ended being ot befire bed although he was happy and playful. Maybe it was just a random thing. Beibg that he had a 30 min nap so early yesterday afternoon and only slept 11 hours I don't think I can extend a time this morning.

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 12:07:25 pm »
The one nap isn't all that fab, he's not doing as long as he really needs and if we go anywhere in the buggy or car in the afternoon it's a real struggle to keep him awake. I do remember a time when DS1 was doing a lovely 3 hr nap though so hopefully we'll get to that point sooner or later :)
Catherine x

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 19:41:21 pm »
That's true falling asleep in the car always  happens! Today my lo did an hour and 15 min nap this morning after 3 hrs 25 min a time. He's always so quiet and tired when he wakes so early. Then he did a 30 min nap in car from 230-3. I gave him a snack at 3 and hope to do dinner by 430 because he will be ready for bottle and bed by 630 I'm sure.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 02:23:17 am »
Ok two nights in a row my husband feeds the baby and he usually falls asleep right adter and he goes in his crib to sleep but the past two nights he cries and won't calm down until I come in and walk around his room a little and sing to him then I put him in crib. Tonight he went to sleep but last night I had to go in a few times befire he fell asleep and he never does that. It's almost like he's not ready for bed. But he only takes a 30 min nap from about 2-230 and his first nap is usually about an hour to hour and 15 mins. So if he wakes at 615 I thought he would go down at 630 tonight and he didbt. Is it possible he needs more A time?

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 11:36:06 am »
Maybe he just needs his naps later in the day so he can make a later BT without getting OT.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 14:44:48 pm »
He is doing 3.5 hrs A time though in between each nsp and befire bed and he's doesn't seem ot at all before bed.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 18:47:33 pm »
I'd push the first A a tad then.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 20:19:58 pm »
Ok I'll give it a shot. Today he took two 30 min naps and woke up crying and he's been cranky all adteenoon I'm sure he's tired. He woke at 5 this morning crying where I had to go in to resettle him a few times which he never does and then slept until 7. There's no way he can make it until 7 tonight. Hes been up since 245. Should I try for a 6 pm bedtome? It's so early but I'm not sure what ejse to do.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 20:24:58 pm »
Yes I imagine he would be tired after two short naps. Yes I would do an EBT at 6pm.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 22:39:15 pm »
For the past few nights when my husband feeds him his bottle at bedtime when he's done with bottle he starts crying and I have to come in to calm him and he fights going to bed. What coukd be going on? Does he just want me?

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2014, 17:00:58 pm »
Yes it sounds like it. Is your husband putting m down new?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2014, 19:59:29 pm »
No we both take turns. For a while I thought he wasn't ready for bed but I'm not sure. What's typical A time before bed? He only takes a 30 min nap in afternoon and 1 hr in morbing

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2014, 20:29:46 pm »
He also keeps waking up from afternoon catnap crying and then crying and fussy for a while

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2014, 20:43:10 pm »
I'd say 3-3.5hrs after a short nap but I know others have said their LO needs a full A time of 4hrs after even a short nap.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2014, 23:14:04 pm »
I fed lo tonight before bed being that the past few nights he's been crying for my husband and usually we cuddle after he's done with bottle and he gets real sleepy or falls asleep but lately he's not so i put him in crib awake tonight and he rolled aroubd a little and sat up but then fell asleep.  I'm wondering if he just wants me at night. I put him in crib awake all the time for his nap so I know it's not that. And he's been so fussy lately crying a lot in the afternoon. Tonight be even cured during dinner :(. The only think different is we've cut a bottle but I'm still offering same amount of formula. Can't figure out his fussiness. Poor guy

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2014, 18:53:09 pm »
Sounds like there may be some separation anxiety going on. Have a look at this FAQ. Separation Anxiety

I'm not suggesting you need to do WIWO since he is already self settling but just FYI and there are some other things to try during A time to help him.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2014, 20:53:51 pm »
Thank you for that info. He's also been waking up crying after his adteenoon 30 min catnap and then he will cry in and off all night. He seems tired. He has a clean diaper he's been fed but still seems uncomfortable in some way that I can't figure out. I've been given him Tylenol thinking maybe another tooth is coming but this doesn't seem to help his fussiness. He will be happy and playful one minute and crying the next whether I'm with him holding him or if he's playing alone. It's so frustrating that I can't figure out wgat it is.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2014, 21:28:47 pm »
I hope the teething is coming to an end and naps improving?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2014, 03:12:53 am »
I had posted in bottle feeding because I've recently dropped his afternoon bottle the 3pm snd I'm wondering if that's causing the fussiness. I'm having a hard time figuring out a good feeding scheduke. I was giving him his second bottle when he wakes from second nap aroubd 11-1130 and lunch aroubd 1230 but then he doesn't get dinner until aroubd 430 and his last bottle befire bed around 630-7. I'm thinking maybe that's not working out and that's why he's fussy. Someone suggested his second bottle befire his afternoon nap around 2 instead of 1130 but that's the small window that I have to leave the house and he ajways falls asleep in the car. His naps are ajways an hour in am and 30 mins in pm I've tried to lengthen for months but no luck. He does a 12-12.5 hour day. What should his easy look like with 3 bottkes 3 feeds and 3.5 hrs A time?

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2014, 11:55:03 am »
What about doing an extra solids snack like a yogurt or fruit or similar before his second nap?

There are some more ideas here Routines for Solids and Bottles/BF's 6-12months

Personally I just kept 4 milk feeds until they dropped to 1 nap at 12 and 15mo. We were breastfeeding though so I think that is probably different.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2014, 13:07:55 pm »
I did try a snack after his afternoon nap around 3-330 but sometimes if we are out and he falls asleep in the car I can't give him a snack beforehand. Someone also suggested a bottle at 1130 when he wakes from morning nap and then waiting until 130 for lunch that way I can also get out in between bottle and lunch but I've also tried that and had him fall asleep on me in car way to early and right at lunch time!

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2014, 14:06:38 pm »
If he falls asleep without the snack does it really matter? I'd just skip it for that day.