Author Topic: EASY for 5month old not going well so far!  (Read 2619 times)

Offline geordiemummy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: EASY for 5month old not going well so far!
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 20:08:13 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for offering some more support Jessmum. Im torn really with regards to the reflux suggestion as with my other LO he really screamed with the pain where Ralph doesnt scream like hes in pain  :-\ Although he does mess with his bottles, pulling it out and crying then wanting it straight back again. When I first stopped breastfeeding him I didn't have a clue about what milk to buy as I've never bottlefed any of my other children so started him on SMA but I did mention to my HV that his poos were olive green which I didn't think was normal, however she said it could be his body getting rid of extra iron?
This went on till about 2 months ago when I changed his milk to see if it made a difference to his mood/poos and his poos are now dark yellow/brownish which I think is normal. My other LO has quite severe eczema and have just noticed over the past couple of weeks that Ralph too is developing scaly patches on stomach and leg which is upsetting as its an awful condition and has caused all the family upset and distress watching his brother having it, we have to wet bandage him at night at the minute. Going to see homeopath in a couple of weeks as we have tried everything to no avail.

Anyways back to Ralph-sorry got sidetracked!! At bedtime after his bottle he's shattered and I have no problem settling him, I just put him down and hold his hand for 5 mins and then leave. With NW I turn him on side and sshh him with hand holding and hand on back but its not working well anymore he just resists and pushes himself on back and starts to cry. I keep trying until I eventually pick him up and sssh pat stood up which again he resists, wont have dummy in his mouth at first but eventually he gives up and I put him down half asleep and hold hand until hes nodded off, but again this doesnt always work and when my back has had enough I sit on the bed with him in my arms which usually ends up with him arching his back, head turning arms flailing, so I sit him up and jig him on my knees saying ssshh keeping the dummy in his mouth and he calms right down and he will go in my arms then for a few mins again until hes half asleep then I put him down.

I have tried not holding him for long as I thought thatr might be an issue but it made no difference whatsoever he just cried more.

So I'm still stuck on what to do? Shall I post on the sleep thread or leave it here?

Thanks for all help and support, much appreciated. xx

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2014, 12:58:04 pm »
How are things going now?

Just wondering (from what you wrote) if possibly he could be a bit too dependent on your presence to fall asleep?  I wonder if (once you know he's completely 100% well) you may need to work on a bit less intervening?

((Hugs))

Offline geordiemummy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2014, 10:14:11 am »
Hi, Sorry not replied sooner Katherine but things have been really busy. We are preparing to move house in a few weeks and have just come back off holiday. Ralph has been ill since we came back but hoping to get things back on track soon. Is it a good idea to post on sleep board as i'm still having problems with his sleeping. He continues to wake 4 or 5 times in the night and several after I've put him down. Daytime naps are awful too. I think you are right about less intervening but need advice really. Re-reading chapter on sleep tonight, think I may have to get rid of pacifier.

Thanks

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2014, 18:20:26 pm »
Hugs, sorry things are still tough.  You're welcome to post what's going on currently here or start a new thread for some fresh pairs of eyes xx

Offline geordiemummy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2014, 08:55:17 am »
Hi, Yes things have been tough still!! Night wakenings are happening frequently and he still cant self settle at all. Need some help desperately as I'm really exhausted and we cant go on like this anymore. I have done AP for the last few days to get back on track as he was getting really OT . How do I start with less intervening? Our room is very close to my other LO and Ralph can be very loud as he doesn't scream anymore like he used to it's more like shouting which gets louder and eventually turns into crying if he's not seen to. Here is our routine for the last few days

WU 6.00
E 7.00 7oz bottle
E 8.00 Porridge
A 3hr 20
S 1hr 20 - pushed in pram, woke 3 times-pushed back to sleep
E 11.00 7oz bottle
E 12.45 4Tbs food
A 3hrs 10
S 2hrs - Pushed in pram - woke twice
E 4.00 7oz bottle
E 4.45 4tbs food
A 2hrs 45
E 6.30 7oz bottle
S 6.45 - Night wakenings 7.20, 8.00, 9.00, 10.15, 11.20 ( feed) 12.15,1.25, 3.00, 3.30 (feed) 4.10, 5.00

Yesterday
WU 6.00
E 7.00 - 7oz bottle
E8.15 - porridge
A 3hrs 20
S 1hr 25 - pushed in pram outside woke twice
E11.00 7oz bottle
E 12.45 4Tbs food
A 2hrs 40
S 1hr 15
E 3.00 7oz bottle
E 4.30 4TBs food
A 2hr 25
S catnap 5.10-5.40
E 7.10 7oz bottle
A 1hr 30
S 7.30, night wakenings were more frequent but not written down. Roughly saw to him 6 times before feeding him at 11.45 then approx (from what I can remember) 12.20, 12.40 1.25, 2.30,3.00, 3.20 fed 7oz, 5.00 - stayed awake for 45mins shouting and playing went back to sleep for 45mins and got up at 6.30.

Extra info that may help is that hes a very touchy/grumpy baby and also when he wakes I settle him by putting dummy in and he immediately turns on his side and reaches for my hand to hold, I've tried a lovey but he just gets angry and swings and throws them, I have lessened the time I hold his hand to just a minute or so and put my hand on his back to re-settle him, just saying sleepy time now as ssshh seemed to aggravate him? It works most of the time but sometimes he needs picking up and I rub his back and put him straight back down. I'm thinking pacifier or myself are a prop but how do I start to rectify it without him screaming all night? tried PU/PD a few times but it seemed to make him worse. If EASY looks ok then shall I move this to sleep boards?

Advice and help please?!!! xxx

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2014, 18:46:06 pm »
Am I right in thinking he's coming up to 7 months now?

Wow ok that's a lot of NWs!  Hugs, you must be absolutely shattered :(

My first thought would be to rule out any sort of discomfort e.g. Teething, reflux, allergies/intolerances etc (I'm presuming you've started some solids now?), but assuming that's not an issue I'd agree you've almost certainly got some prop problems.  Almost certainly the paci and probably your hand as well. 

The thing about sleep training of any kind is that there is almost certainly going to be some crying because you are changing the way LO knows how to settle to sleep.  So yes he will scream, cry, protest, perhaps for hours at a time the first night or two, but key is the fact you are there with him, reassuring him as he learns to settle in a different way.  PUPD would probably be the way to go at this age - when you say it makes him worse, do you mean it escalates his crying? 

For your other LO could you use white noise?  Just thinking that sleep training can be very hard work, and you're less likely to see it through if you're worried about disturbing your other LO.  Or could he/she perhaps have a little 'holiday' for a few days to a grandparent or friend (sorry I don't know how old he or she is)?  What about using ear defenders?  I know one mum here whose LOs share a room has her older DS put on ear defenders if his sister wakes in the night.  Or can you sleep train Ralph in a different room? 

Let me know your thoughts x

Offline geordiemummy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2014, 20:45:31 pm »
Hi again

Sorry its been a while since I posted but we have finally moved house and settled in now. Still having problems with Ralphs sleeping habits so will post on sleep board now xx

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2014, 20:53:19 pm »
Ok no problems :) good luck x