Author Topic: 3 week old EASY schedule (ish)....any thoughts?  (Read 960 times)

Offline vbp13

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
3 week old EASY schedule (ish)....any thoughts?
« on: April 23, 2014, 11:45:13 am »
Hi Guys,

So I've been trying to loosly follow EASY 3 hour with my baby girl, not rigid rigid but setting priniciples ready for implementation.

Yesterday I tried hard to make sure we did EAS not ES - and to be fair for the most part have been EASing since birth.  She self settles most of the time and is swaddled and knows day from night and sleeps in good blocks, especially at night and is EBF.

Yesterday and last night was like this - do you think I'm on the right track?

E 8.05
A 8.15 bum, dressed, look around
S 8.50
E 9.35
A 9.45
S 10.05 (went down in crib awake, woke a few times, resettled each time and then went to sleep on her own)
10.50 Nappy change
E 10.55
A 11.10 burp but was asleep
S 11.10 fell into deep sleep from boob
E 1.30pm
A 1.40 burp
S 1.40 fought until next E, did sleep on and off but very sleep/awake/sleep/awake
E 3.30
A 3.45 burp
S 3.50 self settled
E 5.35
A 5.45 bum, burp
S 6.05 self settled
E 6.55 LHS 1st cluster feed
A bum, change for bed
S 7.00 self settled but fussed for long time
E 7.45 inc burp
S 8.00 self settled
E 11.00 (started to make noise, caught DF in time and slept through it with a quick gentle burp asleep)
S 11.20
E 1.25am change then feed at 1.30am
S 1.40am self settled
E 4.20am
S 4.40 - 7.50 (fussed for 10/15 mins at start of sleep but self settled eventually)
E 8.05 NEW DAY

I think I'll try and stop recording so much in the day but be aware of the need for EASY on a three hour basis and then record the night so I can see her sleep pattern.  I am hoping that I can also start the shh/pat a little bit more by catching her cries before they require a pick up.

Just some thoughts really on what I'm doing really, tips or advice etc.

xx

Offline Buttonbobs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
Re: 3 week old EASY schedule (ish)....any thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 07:39:14 am »
Hi there and welcome :)

It sounds like you've started off really well! At this age I so think it's mostly about getting the E separated from the S as you've been doing, and if you want, keeping away from other obvious props. My own 3 wk old (now 2.5yrs) would never have managed at this point sleeping on her own even when swaddled, so you're doing brilliantly.

Many BF babies don't manage a longer A time until they're quite a bit older so don't worry at this point if you're feeding more than once every 3 hours. Just follow your lo's cues and you'll be fine.

It's ok to keep writing things down if it helps you, but it's a good sign if you feel able to let go of the writing down a bit. You want to aim eventually for longer naps during the day (ideally each one being longer than 1.5 hours) but many newborns will not manage this so keep going for now.
~ Naomi ~

Offline vbp13

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 11:46:46 am »
Hi Buttonbobs,

Thanks for the welcome, glad to know I'm starting off ok - I agree about the props, we try hard not to rock or walk to sleep or if we do have to go out in the car to town I try and make sure she is due for a sleep and so isn't just sleeping cause of the drive!  And then I try to keep her to the EASY schedule anyway.

Glad to know that BF babies have less A time - I was worrying about that!  She does often have good 1.5 hour sleeps in the day and can go up to 2 or 3 hours but I try to wake her after 2.5 hours because she is due a feed and also I don't want her to get night and day muddled up  - yesterday she seemed more fussy so didn't sleep in good blocks but today is a better day she is now on her second 1.5 deep sleep nap of the day! :)

She is really good at night for the most part - she seems to know it's night time and is happy to sleep in good blocks, from 9.15pm to 7.20am last night was 4hrs then 2 hours then 2hrs 40 mins blocks.

Will carry on doing what I'm doing then! :)

Offline Buttonbobs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 18:56:47 pm »
Sounds like you should do just that :)
~ Naomi ~