Author Topic: 4 hour EASY and growth spurt problems.  (Read 850 times)

Offline Bex09

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
4 hour EASY and growth spurt problems.
« on: April 23, 2014, 22:24:12 pm »
Just a quick ask for some opinions on this please. DS is now easily able to do 2 hrs A time and (when he wants to!) nap for two hours too. But he is currently going through a massive GS and needing to feed every 3 hrs in the day. So this means that he is only napping for about 45 mins to an hour before he wakes screaming with hunger! Is there anything I can do or just ride it out? We have also started getting long (2 hr) happy NW too the past two nights, no idea what that is all about. All routine related I guess? We were doing a great 3.5 hour EASY but then the GS hit and he has increased his A times but not his time between feeds.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 4 hour EASY and growth spurt problems.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 22:32:01 pm »
As the GS isn't going to last long can you give a top up feed before his nap so he isn't so hungry? It's not like a snack habit.

Offline Bex09

• Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 09:05:36 am »
Thanks for the reply. I could do a top up feed yes, that would definitely work to get a decent nap. Yesterday after short naps he was shattered and due a feed and sleep more or less together and after a 6oz bottle he slept for three hours!!

And you don't think it will become a habit? Would you just offer say 2oz as a top up feed or as much as he wants? So our day would go something like...

E- 7.30
A- 2hrs
E- 9.15 (top up)
S- 9.30-11.30
E- 11.30
A- 2hrs
E- 1.15 (top up)
S- 1.30-3.30
E- 3.30
A- 2hrs
S- 5.30-6.15
E- 6.15
S-7.30 with top up feed

Does that sound ok?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 17:28:04 pm »
A growth spurt is only going to last a few days or a week at most so I don't see that a habit is going to be formed.  TBH from what I remember of GSs there would be no stopping mine from eating, I mean he would really let you know he was HUNGRY, but it was only a few days (must admit though I never really know a hungry cry it was just something I worked out when feeding him stopped him screaming!).
If it helps to keep his sleep then I think it's worth while, I would let him have however much he wants. Of course if you find yourself doing these top ups in 2 weeks then you'd need to get back on track.